No announcement yet.

Batch 496

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for the link, it was interesting. I'm not at all surprised that the Orkney population is of strongly Norse descent. On the other hand, if that's what the percentages are from, I'm surprised people aren't being categorized as Norse rather than Orcadian, and that the map in Population Finder doesn't even highlight Scandinavia for Orcadian. The Scottish ancestry in my family (as far back as I could trace it, which is 18th century at the earliest due to all those people of identical names) is from Angus, so I'm curious what would be considered Pictish ancestry as well as how that Norse manifests.

Comment

Population Finder is very crude and outdated. Once you get your raw data, you may want to upload it to Gedmatch.com. There are a variety of tools on that site for analyzing ancestry

Originally posted by khuebner View Post
      Thank you for the link, it was interesting. I'm not at all surprised that the Orkney population is of strongly Norse descent. On the other hand, if that's what the percentages are from, I'm surprised people aren't being categorized as Norse rather than Orcadian, and that the map in Population Finder doesn't even highlight Scandinavia for Orcadian. The Scottish ancestry in my family (as far back as I could trace it, which is 18th century at the earliest due to all those people of identical names) is from Angus, so I'm curious what would be considered Pictish ancestry as well as how that Norse manifests.

Comment

Originally posted by NYMark View Post
        Population Finder is very crude and outdated. Once you get your raw data, you may want to upload it to Gedmatch.com. There are a variety of tools on that site for analyzing ancestry
        Yes crude and outdated. I always feel like I never know where I stand with it. I look at it so many different ways. I think I could interpret a pack of tarot cards with more clarity! But seriously Mark is right, your best bet is to upload to Gedmatch. They have great admixture tools there.

I really hope FTDNA gets serious about updating the PF already. My mother's results look so much in line with what we know over at the competitor. Maybe if they finally revamp over here they could have Norse as a population. The over generalized Orcadian and playing how many steps from the Queen to the Middle East pull is getting old!

Comment

Once we get actual data, I'll definitely be trying GedMatch. As the person whose idea it was to do the tests, I feel a certain amount of pressure to have something clear and interesting to show the rest of the family, although to do them justice they've been very patient. Still, I'm hesitant to point them to the Population Finder as it really doesn't tell them much and is a somewhat misleading tool. If we had known nothing about my mother's ancestry, I'd be more excited by the clues it offers, but... well, no. Here's hoping the more detailed data shows up soon!

Comment

mtDNA results from batch 496 came in today, just 1 day late.

Comment

Originally posted by djm3808 View Post
              glad to hear they're moving along, still waiting here...

Comment

Still waiting here as well.

Comment

One of my project members' YRefine67-11 results started coming in last night in this batch. Based on the results from the last batch, the rest of the markers should all come in over the next 4 days or so.

Comment

My Deep Clade advanced 1 SNP, too, the first movement in weeks. Only a few more SNPs to go it appears from the tree.

Comment

Which mtDNA was it? I've got a FS from 495 thats still in the works. Allegedly.

Comment

No need to worry yet. I've got a full sequence in this batch and haven't received any results yet. Expected date of March 4th.

Comment

Originally posted by sanelson View Post
                          Which mtDNA was it? I've got a FS from 495 thats still in the works. Allegedly.
                          Just basic MVR1

Comment

Of the two kits I had in this batch, the one for my half-brother came in - though I still can't dl the raw data for some reason (error msg) - but the other kit is stalled out with Y-DNA results only (Haplogroup J2) but no FamilyFinder or even Population Finder! Emailed FTDNA about both these issues. FTDNA did correctly identify my brother's relationship to my father and to me (well, almost - it said "Half-sibling or aunt/niece/nephew") so I look forward to these minor issues getting straightened out soon!

Comment

I haven't yet been able to download the raw data either, but it sounds like a lot of people are trying and failing.

Comment

FMS results pushed back to March 25th... not a huge surprise.

Comment

Working...
                                X