Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JTR View Post
    Approaching 3 weeks at 60% -

I am excited though and looking forward to answering some lingering questions and playing with the data - can't wait for some third party tools.

I think the 43 populations and the 9 regions are a great way of analysing your admitixure - why are some people complaing about that?

On another site one girl filled-up 8 of those regions - the most was 24% the least was 4%. The only one she did not was Southern Africa.
    Can you share what other site that is? I've been looking for people who have posted their results but, so far, only two persons I've seen. One here and the other one, Auntsha, who was the first to share hers. By the way, I've just received an email informing me that my sample is at 60% of the process.
    Last edited by JuanCarlos; 26 November 2012, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ScooterCat View Post
      Some people just can't/won't be pleased. Probably like most people, I'd like to see more specific results, but understand that the present science can't necessarily provide them.
      Exactly! This is an admixture test - what do they expect - an answer like Northern Ireland possibly Donegal. They are giving us 9 broad regions with 43 populations (that do not necessarily correspond to national boarders) to help us further are study. Jeez! They are not trying to help you match-up with your 4th cousin in Cornwall or tell you that your are 62% Swedish.
      Last edited by JTR; 26 November 2012, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JuanCarlos View Post
        Can you share what other site that is? I've been looking for people who have posted their results but, so far, only two persons I've seen. One here and the other one, Auntsha, who was the first to share hers. By the way, I've just received an email informing me that my sample is at 60% of the process.
        Here it is - it is City Data Forum in the Genealogy Thread post #38 and below. http://www.city-data.com/forum/genea...na-test-4.html

You can probably PM her and ask her questions if she does not want to offer info on that site. She seems pretty open though.

Comment

Personally I would much rather have fairly broad but accurate predictions, rather than specific but inaccurate ones. Just look at AncestryDNA: they probably have the most specific admixture categories, which has led to confusion as people wonder where their hidden Scandinavian ancestors are, Germans are reported as being from the British Isles, French people are told their ancestors were from Italy or Spain, etc... more specific isn't always better, at least until the science catches up, if it ever does.

I'm still sitting at 40%. Lots of people seem to be having their status updated today, so I'm still hoping mine will move...

Comment

Originally posted by AlisonT View Post
            Personally I would much rather have fairly broad but accurate predictions, rather than specific but inaccurate ones. Just look at AncestryDNA: they probably have the most specific admixture categories, which has led to confusion as people wonder where their hidden Scandinavian ancestors are, Germans are reported as being from the British Isles, French people are told their ancestors were from Italy or Spain, etc... more specific isn't always better, at least until the science catches up, if it ever does.

I'm still sitting at 40%. Lots of people seem to be having their status updated today, so I'm still hoping mine will move...
            Yep! The girl I referenced above did both the Geno and Ancestry - but Ancestry gave her a wopping 16% unknown.

Comment

Thank you, JTR.

Comment

sorry but if you look at the population reference of population finder :
                http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/ans...spx?id=22#1039
                you have more than 60 ref population, so why shout everywhere are test is revolutionary to have less precision than familly tree dna ??? I don't understand sorry

Comment

I think FTDNA is in a state of chaos with regard to Geno 2.0.

1) No list of y-DNA SNP's tested in NatGeo/FTDNA FAQ. (we only know this now because of Cece- Thank you)
                  2) No updated y-DNA tree.
                  3) No published scientific paper
                  4) No sasquatch DNA included in test ;') LOL

Did the marketing guy go on vacation?

Comment

Originally posted by ajmr1a1 View Post
                    I think FTDNA is in a state of chaos with regard to Geno 2.0.

1) No list of y-DNA SNP's tested in NatGeo/FTDNA FAQ. (we only know this now because of Cece- Thank you)
                    2) No updated y-DNA tree.
                    3) No published scientific paper
                    4) No sasquatch DNA included in test ;') LOL

Did the marketing guy go on vacation?
                    4. Very funny! I saw that one last night on TV! Who knows maybe the "squatch" DNA goes under the Neanderthals! I personally hope they find some ancient alien DNA. LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by boutrosdu93 View Post
                      sorry but if you look at the population reference of population finder :
                      http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/ans...spx?id=22#1039
                      you have more than 60 ref population, so why shout everywhere are test is revolutionary to have less precision than familly tree dna ??? I don't understand sorry
                      I think Geno has all those (Did not they use FTDNA's reference populations?) they just subsumed them under thier own reference names.

Comment

• Just checked again still at 60% - but I read this:

This process typically takes around six to ten days. The next stage in your analysis will be a quality control step, after which your results will be uploaded to the website for you to see.

They are taking two to three times longer than that

Must of found something special like Alien DNA -

Comment

• Originally posted by JTR View Post
                          I think Geno has all those (Did not they use FTDNA's reference populations?) they just subsumed them under thier own reference names.
                          yeah I think what will be good of the test will not be the crap results (oooh my journey) with 2 3 arrow but the dna file in raw format with all the snps.
                          seriously they said they could go to the "country" level and now only 40 populations out of hundreds in the world ??
                          if you're happy to be pigeons rrouu rouu then

Comment

• Originally posted by boutrosdu93 View Post
                            yeah I think what will be good of the test will not be the crap results (oooh my journey) with 2 3 arrow but the dna file in raw format with all the snps.
                            seriously they said they could go to the "country" level and now only 40 populations out of hundreds in the world ??
                            if you're happy to be pigeons rrouu rouu then
                            Hmmmm! I never heard them say - 'go to the "country" level.'

Anyway, for the admixture I never expected much more than a broad designation of certain regions. Plus, I am thrilled to get my mtDNA and YDNA which I have yet to find out and the RAW data to research myself. It will be well worth it to me - pigeon or not.
                            Last edited by JTR; 26 November 2012, 07:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JTR View Post
                              Just checked again still at 60% - but I read this:

This process typically takes around six to ten days. The next stage in your analysis will be a quality control step, after which your results will be uploaded to the website for you to see.

They are taking two to three times longer than that
                              Mine took 18 days to go from 60% to 80%.

Originally posted by JTR View Post
                              Must of found something special like Alien DNA -
                              Sorry, I have all the alien DNA.

Comment

• It seems to me this test takes longer for men than for women. Some people (women) got their results within 24 days, after the lab received their kit. For others, it takes a long time. Although, to be fair, their website did say it would take from 6 to 8 weeks before results became available.

Comment

Working...
                                X