Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Geographic Project Forums > African DNA Project

Old 23rd October 2007, 05:02 PM

News from FTDNA Conference

Hello, everyone:

I just got back from the 4th Annual FTDNA Conference for Administrators and would just like to give the most important report.

First, let me say that Dr. Gates rescheduled and was not at the conference on the first day. Big disappointment for me.

Second, Dr. Doron Behar who was going to report on the phyleography of African Haplogroup L had a serious illness in the family and also had to reschedule.

BUT, the NEW Y Chromosome tree was presented on Sunday by Dr. Michael Hammer of the University of Arizona.

The following is an excellent run down written by Michael Maddi, the Administrator of the Sicilian DNA Project, dna-forums.org and DNA-L list member. It essentially has everything important and I could not have done a better job:

Hammer gave a report on the new, proposed YCC y chromosome haplogroup tree. This incorporates all the newly discovered SNPs and has been submitted to the scientific journal GenoResearch and will be published soon. The question didn't come up, but I think at some point FTDNA will start using this tree to classify customers' haplogroups. Will they offer the new SNPs as part of the appropriate deep clade tests? Hopefully. Hammer gave a good basic summary of the development of SNP discovery and creation of y-DNA haplogroup trees.

The field took off in 1997 when 19 SNPs were identified by Dr. Peter Underhill. (His lab discovered all the SNPs beginning with M, while those beginning
with P are from Hammer's lab. Many of the SNPs in E, I, J, O and R come from the Perlgen SNP database, another population genetics research outfit.) In the period between 2000 and 2003, Underhill and Hammer discovered hundreds of new SNPs.

The YCC (Y Chromosome Consortium) was created by 1991 and the first official YCC haplogroup tree was issued in 2002. That tree identified 153 lineages (haplogroups/subclades), defined by 245 SNPs. There were 18 major haplogroups (A-R).

Between 2004 and 2007 more than 500 new SNPs have been discovered. So it was decided that the time had come for a new updated YCC haplogroup tree. And they surely have come up with one!

First they have come up with new estimates for the ages of major haplogroups and subclades. Here are their estimates for those of most interest to those at dna-forums.org:

C - 50 k years old
E - 50 k
E1b1a (E3a in ISOGG tree) - 20 k
E1b1b1 (ISOGG - E3b1) - 30 k
I - 25 k
J1 - 25 k
J2 - 20 k
G - 20 k
N - 10 k
O - 35 k
O3 - 20 k
Q3 - (Native American) - 10 k
R - 30 k
R1a - 10 k
R1b - 25 k

Hammer showed a map for the location of LGM refugia which indicated that I was in a Balkan refugium and R was in the standard northern Spain refugium we hear about.

Here is a list of the number of SNPs in the tree by haplogroup:
A - 45 (19 new)
B - 32 (9 new)
C - 30 (13 new)
D - 23 (9 new)
E - 83 (53 new), 34 new subclades
F - missed that one while taking notes
G - 11 (7 new)
H - 11 (5 new)
I - 29 (20 new)
J - 39 (26 new)
K, L, M - missed those while taking notes
N - 10 (4 new)
O, P - missed those while taking notes
R - 42 (26 new)

Hammer said they will propose a new haplogroup, S, which they believe arose in E. Indonesia and Melanesia and, because of isolation during most of history, is only found there today.

Here's the best part for all of us amateur population geneticists and seekers of deep ancestry. It was announced by Bennett Greenspan at the end of Hammer's presentation that a special limited, pre-paper publication edition of Hammer's proposed new YCC tree had been printed up for all 210 attendees of the FTDNA conference. (That was a much better "goodie" for the attendees than last year, when everyone received a free copy of Spencer Well's new book on the Genographic Project.) This very large wall poster was
handed out to all attendees, myself included. So I certainly can answer anyone's question about the new name for their subclade, based on the most downstream SNP.

Unfortunately, it's copyrighted and can't be reproduced or published without FTDNA's permission, so I can't scan sections for posting here.

In other words, Hold on and be patient!

Ana
Old 8th November 2007, 07:09 PM

It especially includes E3a and I cannot recall exactly how many new new subclades but at least 34. One thing is for sure, those E3a* that have not found a home will most probably gain one.

Once Dr. Hammer publishes his paper, (which I will surely get a copy), FTDNA will have new SNP tests available for our project members to further refine their clades and relationships.

Since my own father and brothers are E3a*, you know I will be waiting to grab any info as soon as I hear there is any.

Finally, our group will have the ability to reaallly have deep backbone testing.

One of the exciting things that will be available is the further ability for two or three members who closely match to have blocks of their Y Chromosome searched for Haplogroup specific SNPs. This is something that we as a group can help fund since the benefit goes to all those designated as E3a.

The other Haplogorups will have the same opportunity.

Sorry I have not been on the forum as much lately but there are other superb things coming on the horizon which I cannot divulge as yet. However, we will benefit from upcoming happenings greatly.

Ana

Paternal: E3a*
Maternal: L1c1a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene2005
casadecoqui ,
It`s great news,but, does this includes E3a`s also and if so how many subclades for it?
Old 12th December 2007, 12:18 AM

News from FTDNA Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by casadecoqui
It especially includes E3a and I cannot recall exactly how many new new subclades but at least 34. One thing is for sure, those E3a* that have not found a home will most probably gain one.

Once Dr. Hammer publishes his paper, (which I will surely get a copy), FTDNA will have new SNP tests available for our project members to further refine their clades and relationships.

Since my own father and brothers are E3a*, you know I will be waiting to grab any info as soon as I hear there is any.

Finally, our group will have the ability to reaallly have deep backbone testing.

One of the exciting things that will be available is the further ability for two or three members who closely match to have blocks of their Y Chromosome searched for Haplogroup specific SNPs. This is something that we as a group can help fund since the benefit goes to all those designated as E3a.

The other Haplogorups will have the same opportunity.

Sorry I have not been on the forum as much lately but there are other superb things coming on the horizon which I cannot divulge as yet. However, we will benefit from upcoming happenings greatly.

Ana

Paternal: E3a*
Maternal: L1c1a
Hi Dr. Ana,
Hopefully, more light will be shed on my father's Haplogroup which is "E". I had him deep sub-clade, but without any results other than his Haplogroup being "E". Keeping my fingers crossed.
Denise