Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Announcements and New Features

Announcements and New Features Announcements of changes at Family Tree DNA and to the FTDNA website. This is also for general communications by FTDNA staff.

Old 3rd September 2017, 01:35 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Here's a service update from the USPS website at https://about.usps.com/news/service-alerts/welcome.htm on the status of their services in Houston, following last week's flooding:

Harvey aftermath

A week after Hurricane Harvey came ashore in Texas, residents along the Gulf Coast are dealing with the destruction caused by historic flooding. Many residents have been displaced. Relief efforts continue.

The Postal Service is now in active storm recovery, but we’re open for business — offering delivery and retail services — where it’s safe to do so in affected areas. Check “Service disruption alerts” or “Is my Post Office open” under “Residential customers” below for the latest information.

I did receive mail yesterday for the first time in a week. I live in a part of town that didn't experience any flooding. I don't think that there was much, if any, flooding in the area where FTDNA is located. So, hopefully they are receiving shipments of incoming test kits and perhaps also able to mail out test kits. There's no update on the FTDNA website, but then it's Sunday on a holiday weekend.
Old 5th September 2017, 09:30 PM
FTDNA Customer

USPS says my package was delivered. But Family Tree Dna company says doesn't delivered. What should i do? USPS send me a signature for delivered. I'm boring.
Old 5th September 2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadienne View Post
USPS says my package was delivered. But Family Tree Dna company says doesn't delivered. What should i do? USPS send me a signature for delivered. I'm boring.
There have been cases where USPS has marked a package for FTDNA as delivered, but it's sitting in a bag with who knows how many other returned test kits not actually having been delivered.

However, it's more likely that they delivered a bag full of test kits, including yours, to FTDNA and FTDNA has not yet marked it in their database as received. This is very likely, given that they had very few employees who could get to the FTDNA offices to do their job all last week due to the extensive flooding throughout the greater Houston area. If an employee lives in an area that had serious flooding, they were stuck at home. Plus, yesterday was Labor Day, a major holiday, and even if there wasn't a hurricance, no one would have been working.

Given the disruptions for an entire week at FTDNA, wait until sometime next week to see if your kit was received and assigned to a testing batch. If not, then you should contact them to check into it.

Last edited by MMaddi; 5th September 2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 6th September 2017, 01:36 AM
FTDNA Customer

Actually, i don't have a hope. My kit absolutely lost. USPS say my kit was delivered September 2.
Old 6th September 2017, 01:52 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Actually, i don't have a hope. My kit absolutely lost. USPS say my kit was delivered September 2.
It's not lost. It will generally take 1 or 2 weeks (after USPS say it's delivered) before FTDNA marks a kit as received.

Last edited by Frank Kelch; 6th September 2017 at 02:41 AM.
Old 6th September 2017, 03:02 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Mine was delivered on the same day. I guess they delivered the whole bag of kits on Saturday. I'm also waiting for it to be "received by lab". We will See. I'm glad FTDNA is okay after Harvey.
Old 6th September 2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Sept. 2 was the first day in a week that I received mail at my house in the Houston area. That was Saturday.

I'm not even sure if FTDNA offices are open on the weekends to accept mail delivery, with or without a hurricane. I'm not sure that the USPS is being truthful that your test kit was delivered on Saturday.

Even if it was delivered, as I wrote in my previous post, I'm sure that there's a very large backlog of incoming test kits to be marked in their database as received. Remember that the USPS was not able to make deliveries throughout the Houston area for a solid week.

Don't assume that your kit was lost. Do as I suggested in my earlier post and see if FTDNA marks it as received by the end of the week. If not, contact them and find out what's the status of their marking kits as received.
Old 6th September 2017, 01:08 PM
FTDNA Customer

There is an informative video on youtube entitled "The Ideal Life of a FTDNA kit". Start watching at 15:48 into the video, it explains this point very thoroughly.
Old 6th September 2017, 08:24 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
As others have stated, it is too soon to be worried about a lost kit. When the tracking number indicates that they have delivered your kit, what it actually means is that it was delivered to the bag in the post office. FTDNA has a different delivery system due to the high volume of mail they receive. Then usually on Mondays when FTDNA receives the bag of kits, they start processing it.

If you log into your kit, click on the complete order history link found on the left side. You will see that "Received by Lab" will either have "Pending" or an actual date. If it has a date, then FTDNA has already registered it into the system after taking it out of that mail bag.

Since they are still dealing with the aftermath of Harvey and Labor Day was on Monday, they will have a backlog of kits to process. Once they mark it as received, the kit will get batched either Monday or Wednesday. Again check the order history to see if it gets batched. You may need to wait until next week for it to get marked received and batched.
Old 6th September 2017, 09:39 PM
FTDNA Customer

I'm looking it complete order history, i see the pending part. But i don't see any history or something. FTDNA should be a send a new kit for me. Because my kit absolutely lost in Houston Postal Service. I have a huge patience for this situation but i'm waiting 1 month for the delivered. So bad..