Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Announcements and New Features

Announcements and New Features Announcements of changes at Family Tree DNA and to the FTDNA website. This is also for general communications by FTDNA staff.

Old 30th August 2017, 05:52 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagian View Post
I forwarded my test from Europe and it was tracked until August 19th as arriving in Customs in US (Airport unknown). Is it likely that it reached FTDNA before Harvey hit?
No idea about that. But -
Your Kit will suffer no harm if it sits a bit longer in one or another Post Office before getting to FTDNA.
So - hang tight and wait. With any luck, all will be fine. It just may seem even more like forever.
Old 31st August 2017, 04:00 AM
FTDNA Customer

dagian,

Kits seem to get from Europe to the States quickly but then take forever to get across the States to Houston. Even without a hurricane to contend with your kit would probably still be in transit. I usually have to wait 2 weeks or more for the American part of the transit.
Old 31st August 2017, 10:38 AM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

This is the latest service notice from the US Postal Service about delivery and other services in the Houston area:

"Mail delivery to Houston-area homes and business is suspended because of Hurricane Harvey until further notice, the U.S. Postal Service announced Wednesday evening.

"Affected ZIP codes begin with these three-digit prefixes: 770, 772, 773, 774, 775, 776, 777 and 778.

"Services on hold include retail operations, mail collection, business mail units, drop shipments. The Postal Service also will not provide shipment of live animals destined for these ZIP codes until further notice and all Priority Mail Express service is on hold until 5 p.m. Friday, Sept. 1."

This means that outgoing test kits from FTDNA to customers and incoming test kits from customers to FTDNA will not get into the delivery pipeline on the Houston end or move along the pipeline in the Houston area until further notice. Hopefully, "until further notice" won't be too long in coming. Until then, expect longer than normal times for receiving a test kit for a new account, returned kits being received by FTDNA and getting your test results (if the test depended on FTDNA getting a DNA sample from your recently mailed test kit).

Last edited by MMaddi; 31st August 2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 31st August 2017, 04:56 PM
FTDNA Customer

My USPS tracking code shows that my kit was delivered last Friday at 5:46 pm. Does anyone know whether the kits are delivered to a person who might put them in a safe place or if FTDNA staff have been able to get to the building where kits are delivered since the hurricane hit? From my home page, I do see a "Received By Lab" line (that I don't think was there before), but no corresponding date. I know this is a trivial matter given the circumstances, but just curious. Thank you.
Old 1st September 2017, 06:40 AM
FTDNA Customer

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"

I realize these are special conditions but I couldn't help but remember hearing this for YEARS.

I also noticed that the list of zip code provided is only a partial list. I live 150 miles north of Houston and we have not received anything other than local mail since the storm closed Houston because all of our "out of town" mails comes through Houston. I'll add 759 to their list

Last edited by Jim Barrett; 1st September 2017 at 06:54 AM.
Old 1st September 2017, 01:22 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Here's another update from FTDNA's Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/isog...5852421592922/

In case you don't have Facebook to access the message, here's the text:

Hurricane Harvey Update:

We’re ready to hit the ground running!

Once again, we want to thank you all for your patience and understanding during the past week and the obstacles we have faced as a company, city, and state due to Harvey. We truly love our Family Tree DNA family and consider all of you a part of it.

We are now focusing on helping both our employees and the wonderful people of Houston and its surrounding communities begin the road to recovery. Many of you are asking how you can help and we appreciate it. Your kind words have not gone unnoticed. We are discussing different ways we at Family Tree DNA can help support our employees who have been impacted by Harvey as well as the people of Texas. We will update you on the status of this at a later point and time.

As we previously stated, the FTDNA building was relatively unharmed during Harvey. We did lose power in the building which is why many of you that have placed orders for the last few days have not received emails. Our generators were busy keeping the lab and DNA storage safe. We were well prepared for this and everything did what it was supposed to. Full power will be restored Friday. We will continue to update you if anything changes.

Customer service is still stretched thin as many of our employees are still dealing with the aftermath that was Harvey. Please be patient. We are all anxious to get back to the office and start doing what we love. We plan to hit the ground running tomorrow and our employees will be working through the holiday weekend to get us back on track.

We’ve received updates from USPS and want to update you all on what to expect over the next week. Here are updates to many of the questions we have been receiving.

Is my DNA okay?
Yes, we were well prepared for this storm and have taken precautions to protect your DNA from hurricanes and much more.

If I’ve bought a test recently is it okay to ship back or should I wait?
Yes, it is okay to ship back. The post office says we should expect about a week delay. We should begin to receive your returned kits by Friday, 09/08.

Can I still order a test, add-on, or upgrade?
Yes, you can still place orders online. Some customer service members are working from home but they are stretched thin. It is recommended that you place orders online.

Order fulfillment and shipping:
NEW KIT ORDERS: We will hit the ground running tomorrow to get any new kits ready to go out. The post office has stated that they will not be picking up mail until Friday, 09/08. We will have everyone’s kits ready to ship out to avoid any further delays.

EXISTING KIT ORDERS: If you have ordered an add-on test or upgrade we do not expect your results to be delayed by more than 4 or 5 days from the average fulfillment time. This is due to the fact that we already have your DNA at the lab.

Emails
We expect email to be back up and running fully by Saturday. Emails are backed up due to the server being off during the storm so it might take a few days after Saturday to get caught up.

Are we going to extend the sale?
We will not be extending the sale but if you’ve had trouble ordering, please contact us to receive the sale price. Please open a request via this link https://www.familytreedna.com/contact and we will honor the sale price. You can find the open a request form in the support section of this page. Click open a request to fill the form out and submit. You have until the end of day 09/05 to submit a form.

Autosomal Transfers
Autosomal Transfers should be up and running Saturday.

Thank you again, everyone. We will update you if anything changes.

Sincerely,

Family Tree DNA
Old 1st September 2017, 09:04 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks for the info.
Old 2nd September 2017, 01:49 PM
FTDNA Customer

As a Newbie I am impressed with how quickly you are recovering from the awful events. Respect!
Old 2nd September 2017, 11:26 PM
FTDNA Customer

Doesn't seem like they're up and running yet... still no new matches.
Old 3rd September 2017, 06:12 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelch View Post
Doesn't seem like they're up and running yet... still no new matches.
Some functions appear to be working. We are getting notifications of new orders and of new match notifications for members of our surname project. We have not yet received any notices for completion of tests in progress, although those generally don't post on the weekends.