Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Announcements and New Features

Announcements and New Features Announcements of changes at Family Tree DNA and to the FTDNA website. This is also for general communications by FTDNA staff.

Old 28th August 2017, 03:25 AM
FTDNA Customer

FLOODING IN HOUSTON TEXAS.

Message on the FTDNA Facebook Page:

"To our Family Tree DNA Family - Our office will be closed Monday and possibly Tuesday due to Harvey. This means customer service may be offline for the next few days as we have asked employees to be safe and stay home. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. We ask that you please be patient and keep our great city of Houston and the rest of Texas in your thoughts"
Old 28th August 2017, 01:16 PM
FTDNA Customer

Hopefully our samples are stored in a safe place.
Old 28th August 2017, 01:43 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFH View Post
Hopefully our samples are stored in a safe place.
I would imagine they are, well I would hope so.
Old 28th August 2017, 03:23 PM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

According to Roberta Estes' last blog post, "Houston, We Have a Problem. . . Named Harvey (she is a project admin at FTDNA, and has toured their facilities):
Quote:
The good news is that Houstonians, and Family Tree DNA in particular, are not novices. For those who don’t know, the building that houses Family Tree DNA was damaged by hurricane Ike in 2008, including the lab. They were fine then, and they’ll be fine this time too – which doesn’t mean they might not have some challenges.

Family Tree DNA, along with their lab including DNA samples is located on the 8th floor of an office building on the Loop Road, on the Northwest side of Houston.

Looking out from their windows, you can see the freeway BELOW grade. Let me translate this for you. The expressway will fill up before the roads around the expressway flood. And then it would take 8 more floors of water to touch FTDNA.

If it gets that bad, the only saving grace would be some guy named Noah.

And no, for those wondering about leakage, they are NOT located on the top floor of the building.

There is automatic generator power for the entire building. Family Tree DNA also has offsite backup out of harm’s way.
Old 28th August 2017, 06:46 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thumbs up

I only recently, within last week, submitted my first sample so I am assuming that it will now take a little longer to start getting results. More important is that FTDNA and their employees are safe.
Old 29th August 2017, 01:12 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagian View Post
I only recently, within last week, submitted my first sample so I am assuming that it will now take a little longer to start getting results. More important is that FTDNA and their employees are safe.
If it is stuck in the North Houston USPS distribution center you may have to send a new sample.
Old 29th August 2017, 01:17 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
If it is stuck in the North Houston USPS distribution center you may have to send a new sample.
Underwater?
Old 29th August 2017, 01:38 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgian1950 View Post
Underwater?
Here's a story from a Houston TV channel about Houston area postal service, with my bolding in the quote below - http://www.khou.com/news/local/post-...ding/468405080:

"Today, U.S. Postal Service Houston District Manager David Camp announced that all retail and delivery operations, along with drop shipments and mail acceptance are suspended through the close of business Monday, August 28, 2017. The Postal Service assures customers that their mail has been secured and safe."

This about the North Houston Distribution Center that delivers large bags of returned test kits to FTDNA: "NORTH HOUSTON TX P&DC
• The Houston P&DC, located at 4600 Aldine Bender Rd, North Houston, TX 77315-9997 will not be accepting drop shipments beginning at 2:00PM on Sunday, August 27, 2017.
• The Houston P&DC is planning to resume accepting drop shipments on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 at 5:00PM"

So, they will be accepting shipments going out, starting tomorrow afternoon, although you'd have to be crazy or suicidal to go driving around Houston right now. The story doesn't specify if the North Houston Distribution Center is making deliveries, including to FTDNA, yet. Given the flooding all over the area, I doubt they've made any deliveries since last Friday and may not make deliveries until this Friday or next week.

In other words, anyone who mailed back their test kit to FTDNA about a week or two ago will probably have a delay of maybe of a week or two beyond the normal, expected time of delivery to FTDNA offices. This is just a guesstimate/speculation on my part, but at least it's better than wild speculation and panic.

Last edited by MMaddi; 29th August 2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old 29th August 2017, 02:49 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Update from FTDNA's Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/FamilyTreeD...81447731907602
Old 30th August 2017, 06:34 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagian View Post
I forwarded my test from Europe and it was tracked until August 19th as arriving in Customs in US (Airport unknown). Is it likely that it reached FTDNA before Harvey hit?