Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Announcements and New Features

Announcements and New Features Announcements of changes at Family Tree DNA and to the FTDNA website. This is also for general communications by FTDNA staff.

Old 29th May 2017, 07:35 AM
FTDNA Customer

FTDNA upload to MyHeritage

MyHeritage allows now to upload raw data file from FTDNA. Is there any information when it could be possible to upload raw data from MH to FTDNA?
Old 30th May 2017, 10:33 AM
FTDNA Customer

I just got my results from MyHeritage from uploading raw DNA:

Europe 100.0%
East Europe 74.4%
East European 58.1%
Balkan 16.3%
North and West Europe 25.6%
English 14.9%
Irish, Scottish, and Welsh 10.7%

Well, my known ancestry going back at least a few hundred years is 75% Polish (half mom, half dad), 25% Swedish (dad), 25% Ukrainian (mom).

I have mostly Eastern European matches. I have many, many Swedish matches. I have seen just a few English, and my 4 MtDNA HVR1 matches are English.

Perhaps this showing of English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh is from over 300 years ago at least? Now, I am a redhead with freckles. Freckles from mom's side, red hair from both (parents are carriers, dad from his Swedish side). It's been a mystery as nobody else has freckles like my mom and I, nor red hair (mom had brownish-red) including her siblings or parents. My paternal cousin also has red hair (strawberry blonde). I've always wondered where these traits came from. Perhaps someone from the UK got into the gene pool over 300 years ago and migrated to Eastern Europe?

Before the new algorithm, I was showing 25% Scandinavian on FtDNA, now it's West/Central Europe. I find the old reading more accurate.

Anyone have thoughts as to why I'm not showing Scandinavian? I'm guessing it has to do with the UK/Scandinavian mixing during the Viking invasions. Also, most of MyHeritage DNA matches are Scandinavian.

Confused ...
Old 30th May 2017, 03:23 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollifer View Post
Now, I am a redhead with freckles. Freckles from mom's side, red hair from both (parents are carriers, dad from his Swedish side). It's been a mystery as nobody else has freckles like my mom and I, nor red hair (mom had brownish-red) including her siblings or parents. My paternal cousin also has red hair (strawberry blonde). I've always wondered where these traits came from. Perhaps someone from the UK got into the gene pool over 300 years ago and migrated to Eastern Europe?
Red hair alleles are also found among Polish Catholics and Polish Jews who have no Northwestern European ancestry.

Are you a member of the Red Hair Variants Project at Family Tree DNA? 3 Polish Catholics are listed there as carriers of the T variant in rs1805007 (Arg151Cys).
https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/red-hair-variants
Old 30th May 2017, 04:11 PM
FTDNA Customer

We may have communicated about that project before. I tried finding the alleles on my raw data, but I did a search find and didn't match, or was reading it wrong. I assure you that I'm a natural redhead, came out of the womb with red hair. I'll look into it, though.

My dad's facial hair color was exactly the same auburn color as my hair. He had dark brown hair. I feel that the red hair comes from both my parents, as carriers. Both parents came from Catholic Poles, my dad was also half Swedish. But, I also think it's possible that genes could have entered way back.

Last edited by hollifer; 30th May 2017 at 04:52 PM.
Old 30th May 2017, 04:39 PM
FTDNA Customer

Same here, everyone my entire life said I had red, Auburn or strawberry blonde hair but I only have one mutation on two different locations for SNP listed in this project. So maybe I have some obscure mutation location or everyone is deceived by some optical illusion.
Old 30th May 2017, 07:40 PM
FTDNA Customer

MyHeritage results:

Europe 100.0%

North and West Europe 96.8%

Irish, Scottish, and Welsh 92.6%

Finnish 4.2%

South Europe 3.2%

Italian 3.2%
Old 30th May 2017, 07:53 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by khazaria View Post
Red hair alleles are also found among Polish Catholics ... who have no Northwestern European ancestry.
I'm retracting this statement. I forgot that thousands of Scots did move to Poland in the 1500s-1600s and some assimilated with the local Poles.

Last edited by khazaria; 30th May 2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old 30th May 2017, 11:01 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollifer View Post
I just got my results from MyHeritage from uploading raw DNA:

Europe 100.0%
East Europe 74.4%
East European 58.1%
Balkan 16.3%
North and West Europe 25.6%
English 14.9%
Irish, Scottish, and Welsh 10.7%

Well, my known ancestry going back at least a few hundred years is 75% Polish (half mom, half dad), 25% Swedish (dad), 25% Ukrainian (mom).

I have mostly Eastern European matches. I have many, many Swedish matches. I have seen just a few English, and my 4 MtDNA HVR1 matches are English.

Perhaps this showing of English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh is from over 300 years ago at least? Now, I am a redhead with freckles. Freckles from mom's side, red hair from both (parents are carriers, dad from his Swedish side). It's been a mystery as nobody else has freckles like my mom and I, nor red hair (mom had brownish-red) including her siblings or parents. My paternal cousin also has red hair (strawberry blonde). I've always wondered where these traits came from. Perhaps someone from the UK got into the gene pool over 300 years ago and migrated to Eastern Europe?

Before the new algorithm, I was showing 25% Scandinavian on FtDNA, now it's West/Central Europe. I find the old reading more accurate.

Anyone have thoughts as to why I'm not showing Scandinavian? I'm guessing it has to do with the UK/Scandinavian mixing during the Viking invasions. Also, most of MyHeritage DNA matches are Scandinavian.

Confused ...

My father is adopted but we know his birth mother was Norwegian and also has Swedish ancestry. My father was blonde as a child - darker blonde as an adult w blue eyes. But strangely in the 70's when he grew a moustache it was red. My one brother- only one of us to have children- had 4 children w ALL red hair!!! My mother is dark- black hair or dark brown w dark brown eyes as is her whole family who are Jewish and Italian and Balkan. I have brown hair and green eyes as does the brother who has all red haired children. His wife did not have red hair nor did anyone in her family. I believe it came from the Scandinavian side. Perhaps yours does too? When I do the Promeathease test it says that I have the red hair gene so I guess if I had kids they probably would have had red hair as well. It also says I have blue eyes which I don't so.......
Old 31st May 2017, 02:05 PM
FTDNA Customer

Interestingly, my MyHeritage results list North African, which were in my results for MyOrigins 1.0 but not MyOrigins 2.0. It also completely misses any Subsaharan African, which is found in small amounts with 23andMe and GEDmatch. I keep reading that North African and Subsaharan African DNA is completely distinguishable, but in areas like Senegal and Mali maybe there is some overlap?

MyHeritage:

Europe 97.9%
North & West European 63.0%
English 28.3%
Scandinavian 6.6%

Africa 2.1%
North African 2.1%

My European is quite accurate as I'm predominantly English, German, and some Scots-Irish.
PS Red hair is extremely common in my family (and in my wife's family). My sister, nieces, and grandnieces all have red hair. I have dark hair, like my mother. My son is the only grandson on my wife's side of the family without red hair.

Last edited by NCroots; 31st May 2017 at 02:09 PM.
Old 31st May 2017, 03:06 PM
FTDNA Customer

Mine came out 67% North and West European and 33 %Irish/Scottish/Welsh but no British. Very unusual result considering the massive number of my United Kingdom ancestors. It didn't include the SE European or North Slavic residual I see on other calculators or my hit and miss North American trace. FTDNA currently says 93 % British, 4% SE Europe, <2% East European and <1 % North American Indian. DNA.land also states high NW European(83%), More East European(11%)2%/9% of it Finnish/North Slavic, 6% Med Islander/Sardinian combined.

Last edited by cbeck; 31st May 2017 at 03:08 PM.