Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Advanced Topics

Family Finder Advanced Topics Advanced discussion about Family Tree DNA's Family Finder Product.

Old 25th July 2017, 06:45 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
One other match at Ancestry probably, going by surname and shared matches. (14.2 cM)
I just started working with this match. She had her married name, her father's surname and place of death (Michigan) and her mother's given name, maiden name, place and dates of birth and death. That was all, but the surname of the father was Matthews and I knew that John Alexander Bryan had a daughter who married a Matthews. The hardest part was finding her mother's obit. It turned out she had remarried and even when I found it, it didn't provide me with her first husband's given name. But it did give me her children's names. Looking at the dates, I wondered if any of her children had died after she did. I quickly found an obit for one of them and it gave his father's name. I found the father's obit, giving his place of birth as Coffee Co., TN. In no time I proved the line back to John Alexander Bryan, son of John Bryan and Sarah Bucy.

Some of my DNA matches would be amazed at the trees I have for them when they don't have a clue as to who their own grandparents were! It's a pity I can't break down my own brick wall!

Online obituaries are a wonderful resource when you can find them.

Last edited by MoberlyDrake; 25th July 2017 at 06:47 PM.