Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Announcements and New Features

Announcements and New Features Announcements of changes at Family Tree DNA and to the FTDNA website. This is also for general communications by FTDNA staff.

Old 12th April 2017, 10:11 PM
FTDNA Customer

Pretty accurate for me

It may be that I'm lucky, but the My Origins prediction is pretty much on target. I have a trace amount from my rare mtDNA haplogroup, the British Isles (Ireland) is right on, the Volhynia east european is there, as is some Scandinavian. But, I don't know far back the predictions are supposed to go.

The ethnic German in Volhynia is really German if you go back before that immigration east. It all depends on the timeframe and the totality of your matches (not just that a paternal line is been centered in the same place for a couple or few centuries - they could have had wives from other parts of the world).

Know your family history (not just a direct line, but across the spectrum), that'll clarify the results, too.

Anyway, my two cents.
Old 13th April 2017, 07:25 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInGreece View Post

Since ethnicity is not why I tested, I'm not too bothered. In the last couple of days (i.e. after the fiasco with this useless "upgrade" of MyOrigins) a friend who is interested in ethnicity asked me to recommend a test company, and I still recommended FTDNA. I just made it clear that this company is currently bottom of the heap for ethnicity but he'll be able to transfer his data to other companies, free, to get believable ethnicity results. Maybe FTDNA will pay attention to customers and adjust their algorithms before my friend gets his results.
I don't think that you can transfer FTDNA data to other companies at all, but you can transfer data from other companies TO FTDNA.
Old 13th April 2017, 08:14 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBA64 View Post

Know your family history (not just a direct line, but across the spectrum), that'll clarify the results, too.
I do know most of mine but it doesn't explain why I get population results that neither of my parents get! That's got nothing to do with a family tree that's just odd!
Old 13th April 2017, 10:15 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourgja View Post
I don't think that you can transfer FTDNA data to other companies at all, but you can transfer data from other companies TO FTDNA.
He means transfer to a place like Gedmatch where it has its own ethnicity estimation tools.
Old 13th April 2017, 09:12 PM
FTDNA Customer

My New Results

have added <2% South Central Africa, I'm guessing that goes back, oh, I don't know, about 150,000 years?
Old 15th April 2017, 09:00 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Contemplator View Post
He means transfer to a place like Gedmatch where it has its own ethnicity estimation tools.
Yes. You can also upload to DNA.Land, but Gedmatch has a much wider range of ancestry estimators.
Old 20th April 2017, 11:27 AM
FTDNA Customer

Has anyone compared their MyOrigins with GEDmatch admixtures?
Old 23rd May 2017, 06:26 PM
FTDNA Customer

I thought my ethnic makeup as predicted by the new model was an improvement, as my Scandinavian element (previously around 20%, I think), disappeared completely, and my European heritage was shown as ONLY British Isles, which agrees completely with what we know. The conventional research has never shown any ancestor to be at all Scandinavian. I'm sure, like most white British people, I do have some Scandinavian DNA - from The Vikings - but it was a nonsense to suggest my recent, rather than ancient, ancestry was 20% Scandinavian - I didn't have a single ancestor fitting that.

So all good.

Until I got my full-blood brother tested, and he's got the 20% Scandinavian in his, even though it disappeared from mine!

This is misleading - we're NOT Scandinavian - any more than any random British person would be. No Scandinavian surnames, no family rumours - nothing.

And whilst I appreciate that chance might - indeed does - deal full-blood siblings different DNA hands, I don't accept it would be enough for one of them to be 20% Scandinavian, and the other not at all.

Meanwhile, I am showing 67% British Isles, but he 0%, which is even worse!
Old 23rd May 2017, 07:33 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

I think MyOrigins 2 is the worst! People should just ignore it.

Any test that comes up with these results just is not worth paying any attention to:

Mother - Sephardic <2%
Father - Sephardic 0%
Daughter - Sephardic 14%

<2 + 0 never equaled 14 when I was in school! They obviously didn't use families in their own database as a control group to make sure results were working out right.

And, yes, they are really parents and child according to amounts of DNA shared.
Old 23rd May 2017, 08:56 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
They obviously didn't use families in their own database as a control group to make sure results were working out right.
Remembering other problems with FTDNA's analyses, and in fear of exactly what has happened with MO v2, I did offer my collection of family members for beta testing, but apparently to no avail; now I'm stuck with results that still make my stomach turn. Thankfully, I took screen shots of MO v1 for all of the most important accounts, but the most difficult part of all this for me is having to try to explain, and apologize for the new results to family and friends.