Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Announcements and New Features

Announcements and New Features Announcements of changes at Family Tree DNA and to the FTDNA website. This is also for general communications by FTDNA staff.

Old 4th April 2017, 04:37 PM
FTDNA Customer

do someone has list

hi all,
do someone has the list of the refrences populations
they used for each cluster ?
with kind regards
adam
Old 4th April 2017, 05:16 PM
FTDNA Customer

African 53%
West Africa 37%
East Central Africa 16%

Middle Eastern 44%
North Africa 24%
East Middle East 15%
West Middle East 5%

Trace Results
South Central Africa < 2%
Siberia < 2%
South America < 2%
East Europe < 2%
Southeast Europe < 2%
Old 4th April 2017, 05:20 PM
FTDNA Customer

Interesting.

Things have shuffled around. Some kits that I would have expected to have W&C Europe before but didn't now have some (with a decrease in Scandinavian and British Isles). And some that did have have W&C Europe don't have any anymore, but British Isles has increased.

Asia Minor has decreased from over 5% to a trace region.

Nice to see Southern Europe split now - some kits have Iberian showing up and others have South East Europe. There is no recent known history from either area.
Old 4th April 2017, 05:48 PM
FTDNA Customer

"Pending Results
Your myOrigins results are still processing. Please check back in 24 hours."
Old 4th April 2017, 06:15 PM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjohn View Post
hi all,
do someone has the list of the refrences populations
they used for each cluster ?
with kind regards
adam
I haven't found it yet in the Learning Center, but the Population Cluster page seems to have been updated for all the myOrigin 2.0 clusters.

The myOrigins Methodology Whitepaper, which does not seem to have been updated since 2014 (it uses the original myOrigins cluster names, which were changed shortly after the initial release), does discuss admixture, reference populations, cluster maps, and has a table of reference populations. The reference population table does not appear to have been updated to show what is used in myOrigins 2.0.
Old 4th April 2017, 07:00 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thumbs down What a difference a day makes...

Honestly, I'm very much disappointed with the myOrigins 2.0 results. My BI has decreased from 42% to 6%, my 6% Asia Minor have disappeared completely, and it's just one big bulk of Middle and Eastern Europe. A few months ago I wouldn't have argued about that, but DNA leads me now to the US and from there to Scottland and Ireland �� 6% is a bit meagre, I would have expected about 15-35%.

Same with my husband's results, previously almost evenly split among Scandinavian, BI, Southern Europe and EE, now ALL of Skandinavia gone and added to BI (makes absolutely no sense) - except for the added population near Hungary/Romania. Other than that, GEDmatch's admixtures will definitely give you a "better" result, if you have some knowledge of your roots/ethnicity.

Last edited by SwabianGirl; 4th April 2017 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 5th April 2017, 12:08 AM
FTDNA Customer

my grandma now got 41% new world on this new update
Old 5th April 2017, 02:21 AM
FTDNA Customer

Science: The Danes are half British

"Denmark presented genomic affinity with primarily neighboring countries with overall resemblance of decreasing weight from Britain, Sweden, Norway, Germany and France".

That was a conclusion in a scientific paper in 2016 after a study involving high school students who knew who their four grandparents were. They were primarily from high schools in the first and second city, Copenhagen and Aarhus.

The Danes are almost half British, the paper said.
http://www.genetics.org/content/gene...89241.full.pdf

I guess this paper is behind yesterday's remarkable change in many Dane's origin. One person's origin - a person with ancestors from only one county in Denmark since the 1600's - shows this.

myOrigin Before/Now in %: Scandinavia 68/15, Western Central Europe 32/0, British Isles 0/77, East Europe 0/6 and Finland 0/less than 2 percent.

(It's the other way around. The British are very much descendants of invaders from Scandinavia)
Old 5th April 2017, 04:09 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yde View Post
That was a conclusion in a scientific paper in 2016 after a study involving high school students who knew who their four grandparents were. They were primarily from high schools in the first and second city, Copenhagen and Aarhus.
I have my doubts that a group of teenagers would be knowledgable about their genealogy, so the study design seems flawed to me.
Old 5th April 2017, 04:22 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwabianGirl View Post
Honestly, I'm very much disappointed with the myOrigins 2.0 results. My BI has decreased from 42% to 6%, my 6% Asia Minor have disappeared completely, and it's just one big bulk of Middle and Eastern Europe. A few months ago I wouldn't have argued about that, but DNA leads me now to the US and from there to Scottland and Ireland �� 6% is a bit meagre, I would have expected about 15-35%.

Same with my husband's results, previously almost evenly split among Scandinavian, BI, Southern Europe and EE, now ALL of Skandinavia gone and added to BI (makes absolutely no sense) - except for the added population near Hungary/Romania. Other than that, GEDmatch's admixtures will definitely give you a "better" result, if you have some knowledge of your roots/ethnicity.
I don't know your ancestry, but even for people born and bred in the British Isles 100% British Isles is very rare. The Brits are mongrels... the genetic end of the line for DNA that has made its way for thousands of years from Africa via the Middle East.

I think there is considerable overlap between British Isles and Western and Central Europe under the old Origins model and also the new one (hence why I said it had "shuffled around" in my post).