Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Announcements and New Features

Announcements and New Features Announcements of changes at Family Tree DNA and to the FTDNA website. This is also for general communications by FTDNA staff.

Old 2nd November 2016, 12:04 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
Ancestry specializes in taking your money and making a mess of REAL genealogy. They lead people to think you do research by copying garbage trees from them. I know they have some very good trees, but they have a lot more very very very bad trees.
I don't agree that Ancestry lead people to do research by copying other trees. They have billions of records in their database, which they don't exactly hide. The search results default to the records, and they provide the option to turn off member tree hints.

Quote:
Y-DNA without matching is worth nothing. If you'll remember they also had surname projects which they also removed. And yes, you can still transfer your Y-DNA to FTDNA and then pay again for the service Ancestry cheated you out of.
There is also ysearch.org, which is free.
Old 3rd November 2016, 07:54 AM
FTDNA Customer

Exclamation Real Research - Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanica View Post
I don't agree that Ancestry lead people to do research by copying other trees. They have billions of records in their database, which they don't exactly hide. The search results default to the records, and they provide the option to turn off member tree hints.
You are correct, Ancestry does not lead people to do research. And yes they have billions of records. I really like the trees where;
1. The parents are younger than the children.
2. The parents have been dead years before the children where born.
3. The parents have many children with the same (similar) name all born the same year.
4. The only "documentation" is another Ancestry tree.

Ancestry doesn't make people do this, but they allow them to do so. When I have asked many of the owners of these trees where they documentation is the say, "It is on 100's of trees, it must be correct." Yes, that is real research!
Old 3rd November 2016, 09:14 AM
FTDNA Customer

People have been copying family trees blindly for centuries. Ancestry dot com has only made the process vastly more efficient.
Old 10th November 2016, 02:38 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
You are correct, Ancestry does not lead people to do research.
That is not what I said, don't misquote me.

Quote:
And yes they have billions of records. I really like the trees where;
1. The parents are younger than the children.
2. The parents have been dead years before the children where born.
3. The parents have many children with the same (similar) name all born the same year.
4. The only "documentation" is another Ancestry tree.

Ancestry doesn't make people do this, but they allow them to do so.
I'm not really sure how you propose that they disallow it. The only way to do so would be to make all trees private and completely inaccessible to anyone else. But that would mean you can't share your tree with your own family members, so I wouldn't be able to show my tree to my own mother. That seems extreme and very unfair.

Quote:
When I have asked many of the owners of these trees where they documentation is the say, "It is on 100's of trees, it must be correct." Yes, that is real research!
Yep, and that is their own fault, not Ancestry.com's.
Old 10th November 2016, 03:30 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

Actually, it is Ancestry's fault. Instead of warning people never to copy information without proof, the spend millions of dollars on commercials that tell people to do just that.

They could put warnings everywhere telling people not to copy without proving and they could send out educational email to everyone who posts a tree.

We had a person contact a rootsweb list asking how common it was for 10-year-olds to marry in NJ. We told her they never did. She replied that it was all over Ancestry. We educated her as to which items on Ancestry were trustworthy and which were not. She said she thought that if anything was on Ancestry you could trust it. I have no idea if this lady went on to research correctly or just gave up. But a major problem is that Ancestry is internationally known and people who know nothing about genealogy trust it and unfortunately for them and everyone else, they never learn otherwise.

At least the lady who contacted a rootsweb list took the time to look at the dates and spot a problem. Few even read and notice major problems with dates and that's their own fault! But if an absolutely newbie does spot a problem, they may not have a clue what to do.
Old 10th November 2016, 03:57 PM
FTDNA Customer

I'm regretting ever passing on a connection I had worked out to someone who has a large tree on Ancestry. Much of what he had was from sources such as Stirnet. His tree had the maternal grandparents and parents of a male ancestor of ours. He shares the same surname as the maternal grandparents but any connection is from a LONG time ago and is unknown.

Discovering this connection was the result of my painstaking research and none of the documents were from Ancestry. They were mostly from ScotlandsPeople and NAS.

The person with the "large tree" is now adding people that aren't on Stirnet (because the male line died out in the early 1800s and Stirnet only goes to about 1800) and is grafting on branches of totally incorrect and unrelated people that I KNOW are not first or second cousins of our ancestor. Since then a relative has surfaced who is copying the same information. I've gently pointed out errors and why they are incorrect but nothing is getting corrected and she believes the "large tree".

In light of the misuse of information about our male ancestor I'm not keen to share anything about our mutual ancestor's wife whom they think was born in Scotland. They'll never find her birth there as she wasn't even born in Europe. I'd prefer there was nothing online about her lineage than incorrect information.

Last edited by ltd-jean-pull; 10th November 2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10th November 2016, 07:18 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
Actually, it is Ancestry's fault. Instead of warning people never to copy information without proof, the spend millions of dollars on commercials that tell people to do just that.
Please show me where in the commercials they tell people to copy other people's trees without confirming the information? I won't deny they make the research sound far easier than it is, but I don't recall them ever telling people to use other people's trees to do so.

Quote:
They could put warnings everywhere telling people not to copy without proving and they could send out educational email to everyone who posts a tree.
I'm sorry but I just think this is common sense. When I started in genealogy, I never presumed other trees were right, I didn't need to be told or warned. Not Ancestry's fault that some people are foolish. Besides, for experienced users, how annoying would those constant warnings "everywhere" get?
Old 10th November 2016, 07:31 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

Several years ago my great-great-grandparents, who both have uncommon surnames (Buttermann and Harpring) appeared as the parents of some woman born in the 1600s on about a half dozen Ancestry trees. I contacted the owners pointing out the error and the proofs. No one changed their trees. Now there are several hundred trees on Ancestry with the same error all due to copying.

How many of you have Blaine T. Bettinger's The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy and what do you think of pages 198-200?
Old 10th November 2016, 08:01 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
Several years ago my great-great-grandparents, who both have uncommon surnames (Buttermann and Harpring) appeared as the parents of some woman born in the 1600s on about a half dozen Ancestry trees. I contacted the owners pointing out the error and the proofs. No one changed their trees. Now there are several hundred trees on Ancestry with the same error all due to copying.
Yep, still the tree owners fault, not Ancestry.com.
Old 11th November 2016, 05:22 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanica View Post
That is not what I said, don't misquote me.
The above is a quote. What I said was not a quote, therefore I did not misquote you.