Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Announcements and New Features

Announcements and New Features Announcements of changes at Family Tree DNA and to the FTDNA website. This is also for general communications by FTDNA staff.

Old 8th September 2016, 02:37 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by travers View Post
All their Facebook posts say the same thing that resuming Ancestry transfers are a priority and they are still working on it.

"The issue of not being able to upload newer AncestryDNA files is ongoing. Our IT team is aware of this and is working on a fix. There is no current ETA on the completion, but it is high priority."
Any fix will be less than satisfactory. If FTDNA yields to the pressure to transfer the new AncestryDNA kits, I hope it will give us a way to see which kits on its database are them.

Jack
Old 8th September 2016, 03:24 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
... My mother's Ancestry results just came in - I couldn't wait to see the DNA Circles, only to find out that I have to subscribe in order to get the full genealogical benefits out of our DNA results. What's worse is that if customers don't renew their subscription, they lose access to what they've already paid for, including documents that they've added to their trees.

Vinnie,

First, if you thought your mother would be in DNA Circles just by doing a DNA test at Ancestry, you were misinformed OR didn't do your homework. To be in a DNA Circle, one must match a minimum of 3 others (not close relations) AND have a tree with the common ancestor's name and dates that match the other members of the Circle. IOW, no matches OR no tree = no DNA Circle; a private tree = no DNA Circle; a tree with only the tester in it = no DNA Circle.

Second, if you build a tree on Ancestry, access to your tree remains, as well as YOUR uploaded documents, if and when you cancel your subscription. You, of course need to build that tree. It is NOT given to you simply when you test, as many seem to believe.

Renegade6008
Old 31st October 2016, 10:06 AM
FTDNA Customer

Question gedmatch accepts transfers from new AncestryDNA kits

I can transfer a recent AncestryDNA kit to gedmatch and use their tools. It seems to work.

Does anyone understand why gedmatch allows these transfers and can analyze them and why ftDNA will not allow these transfers?

Does anyone know when ftDNA will accept recent results from ancestry?
Old 31st October 2016, 10:27 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardMW2 View Post
I can transfer a recent AncestryDNA kit to gedmatch and use their tools. It seems to work.
Actually, they do not work well on GEDmatch. While they might find the recent big segment, they do not work well when you look at smaller segments.

New AncestyDNA kits are polluting the GEDmatch database. I hope FTDNA never relents and permits the recent AncestryDNA kits to ruin its database.

Spend the money and get you an autosomal DNA test that has the SNP's.

Jack
Old 1st November 2016, 03:54 AM
FTDNA Customer

Unhappy Ancestry DNA transfers

Unfortunately, some of us can only rely on the Ancestry DNA test. I had my father take the test back in May. Shortly thereafter, he got very ill and died.

He was an only child and his parents are both dead. I have no other options, and it's really annoying when people complain about this test and suggest that we should just get a different DNA test done. You've already expressed your opinion on this thread, so unless you have something different to contribute, move on to another thread.

The new Ancestry DNA test works well enough for me on GEDmatch, and I'm sure well enough for many others out there as well. I can't discern any difference between the new and old Ancestry tests I manage on GEDmatch.

Last edited by amich; 1st November 2016 at 04:03 AM.
Old 1st November 2016, 08:19 AM
FTDNA Customer

After Ancestry CHEATED their Y-DNA and mtDNA customers I wonder why anyone would buy a DNA test from them.
Old 1st November 2016, 09:46 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
After Ancestry CHEATED their Y-DNA and mtDNA customers I wonder why anyone would buy a DNA test from them.
I doubt many of their customers cared. The mtDNA and Y-DNA weren't very popular. Like here many take the test and look at the results and file it away and forget about it. When they announced they were getting rid of those tests I sent a message to over 50 there who had a surname that I have projects for at FTDNA letting them know they can transfer their results to FTDNA not one person replied.
Old 1st November 2016, 10:05 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
The yDNA and mtDNA tests aren't very relevant to recent genealogy, which is what Ancestry specializes in, so it made sense. I don't think Ancestry had a huge database of y/mtDNA testers to begin with.

Anyway, you can still download any yDNA or mtDNA raw data to upload and use elsewhere, so it's not like you've lost everything, they just don't offer any analyses or matching for it anymore.
Old 2nd November 2016, 07:33 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattn View Post
When they announced they were getting rid of those tests I sent a message to over 50 there who had a surname that I have projects for at FTDNA letting them know they can transfer their results to FTDNA not one person replied.
I did the same and had several transfer and upgrade.
Old 2nd November 2016, 07:49 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanica View Post
The yDNA and mtDNA tests aren't very relevant to recent genealogy, which is what Ancestry specializes in, so it made sense. I don't think Ancestry had a huge database of y/mtDNA testers to begin with.

Anyway, you can still download any yDNA or mtDNA raw data to upload and use elsewhere, so it's not like you've lost everything, they just don't offer any analyses or matching for it anymore.
Ancestry specializes in taking your money and making a mess of REAL genealogy. They lead people to think you do research by copying garbage trees from them. I know they have some very good trees, but they have a lot more very very very bad trees.

Y-DNA without matching is worth nothing. If you'll remember they also had surname projects which they also removed. And yes, you can still transfer your Y-DNA to FTDNA and then pay again for the service Ancestry cheated you out of.

I subscribe to Ancestry for access to their digitized records and to be able to use their searches. I believe they do have the best search engines of any of the other online records companies.