Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Announcements and New Features

Announcements and New Features Announcements of changes at Family Tree DNA and to the FTDNA website. This is also for general communications by FTDNA staff.

Old 13th August 2016, 09:45 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
I and my parents have tested at FTDNA, and I and my mother at 23 and Ancestry. I will no longer recommend anyone to 23, and I will recommend Ancestry with caution due to their subscription requirements.
This is why I can only recommend FTDNA to family members - money is a concern (especially for people who are less interested in genealogy than the few doing the heavy lifting in the family) and they'd just refuse if it involved a test and a subscription

However, as hansonrf points out, Ancestry has the trees and the tools which can make a real difference in getting matches - it is difficult to beat at the moment. So I will probably get myself tested there and perhaps one family member on my wife's side.

It'll be interesting to see how FamilySearch does with building their world family tree. There isolated trees are notorious for being untrustworthy (partly because you can't correct mistakes) but collaboration might iron out some of the creases and if FTDNA could partner with them, as they've done with Geni.com, and they can provide tools like Ancestry's, then this would really boost FTDNA's business. I'd rather they did something like this than advertise.
Old 14th August 2016, 07:08 AM
FTDNA Customer

Smile FTM isn't Going Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansonrf View Post
Roots Magic is stepping up and will fill the gap as FTM is going away at the end of this year. Roots Magic now imports directly from FTM and will synch seamlessly with Ancestry by the time of the switch over.
I don't believe FTM is going away. The following is from Software MacKiev: P.O. Box 130410, Boston, MA 02113–0008, USA on August 5, 2016.

Free Update for current editions.
We are hard at work finalizing a free update for FTM 2014 and Mac 3 users. Note that this is not a new edition, but rather an update patch, which is why it will be free. We have focussed on stability and performance improvements, and if you are like most FTM users, all is well with your copy and you should wait for the official update. Since you have signed up for the FTM mailing list, you will be notified as soon as the official update is ready. But if you are experiencing any problems, please submit a support request (see "Helpful Links" below) and we'll give you a copy of the latest beta right away.

Still works with Ancestry.com.
Our updated versions for Mac and Windows pick up right where Ancestry left off so you'll still get Ancestry's "shaky leaf" hints, and use TreeSync® to keep your Ancestry online tree in synch with the Family Tree Maker tree on your computer. You won't need to transfer your Ancestry subscription if you have one – it will just work. And all your tree files will just open on the new edition, no conversion utilities required. Free updaters for FTM 2014 and Mac 3 users will be available soon. There's also a discounted upgrade for users of older versions (see below), and full versions for new users in our Web store.
Old 15th August 2016, 09:29 PM
FTDNA Customer

FTM going away?

Uh oh!!
What do you mean FTM is going away???
Old 16th August 2016, 07:10 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thumbs up FTM is NOT Going Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfinator View Post
Uh oh!! What do you mean FTM is going away???
I assume that hansonrf is referring to the fact that Ancestry is following their normal course of action. They take over a product, make a mess of it and then stop supporting it. He seems to have missed the fact that "Software MacKiev" is taking over Family Tree Maker again.
Old 17th August 2016, 08:19 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
I assume that hansonrf is referring to the fact that Ancestry is following their normal course of action. They take over a product, make a mess of it and then stop supporting it. He seems to have missed the fact that "Software MacKiev" is taking over Family Tree Maker again.
That is correct; I missed that new news entirely and was working from old news... Thanks!
Old 6th September 2016, 07:23 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgian1950 View Post
The new AncestryDNA kits and 23andMe V4 (and earlier V2) chipset kits may match with Family Finder, earlier AncestryDNA kits, and 23andMe V3 chipset kits for close relationships with big matching segments, but they are completely incompatible when you are looking at smaller segments a bit further back.

The latest AncestryDNA and 23andMe kits are seriously watering down what you can discover with GEDmatch.
I agree. I've just posted in another thread about a FF match of ours who has recently tested with Ancestry as well. Over on Gedmatch some small matching (pink) segments that are present between her FF kit and our FF kits are not matching with her Ancestry kit.

In case this was a particular FF issue I have also compared both of her kits with a person she matches whose number has an A in front (so it is an Ancestry kit). A segment of almost 6.8cM is matching between her FF and his Ancestry kit, but isn't matching between his kit and her Ancestry kit.

That is not ideal.
Old 7th September 2016, 11:30 AM
FTDNA Customer

Unhappy Still waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPLeBlanc View Post
When will FTDNA's Autosomal DNA Transfer be compatible with Ancestry's updated file format?
This is frustrating for those who purchased Ancestry autosomal kits for family members and those kits didn't reach processing until the version 2 was in effect. I had really hoped to upload the data to FF. Now it looks as if that won't happen ... ever?
Old 8th September 2016, 08:31 AM
FTDNA Customer

Be sure you remember it was Ancestry that made the change, not FTDNA. They are the same company that sold Y-DNA and mtDNA tests and then discontinued DNA matching. This is the same company that took over Sorenson's DNA data base and took it off line along with the wonderful educational information they had received from Sorenson.

Do you notice a trend?

Last edited by Jim Barrett; 8th September 2016 at 08:35 AM.
Old 8th September 2016, 10:51 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfinator View Post
Uh oh!!
What do you mean FTM is going away???
It's not going anywhere. Initially, Ancestry.com were discontinuing it, but there was such an outcry from users that they instead sold it to MacKiev (who were the developers for the Mac version so they have simply taken over the Windows version now), and are allowing the TreeSync feature to continue (as well as opening up TreeSync to RootsMagic too).

I believe at the end of the year, you will need to upgrade your FTM for the TreeSync to continue working as the API for the sync will change. But FTM is NOT being discontinued.
Old 8th September 2016, 01:13 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monnie53 View Post
This is frustrating for those who purchased Ancestry autosomal kits for family members and those kits didn't reach processing until the version 2 was in effect. I had really hoped to upload the data to FF. Now it looks as if that won't happen ... ever?
All their Facebook posts say the same thing that resuming Ancestry transfers are a priority and they are still working on it.

"The issue of not being able to upload newer AncestryDNA files is ongoing. Our IT team is aware of this and is working on a fix. There is no current ETA on the completion, but it is high priority."