Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Announcements and New Features

Announcements and New Features Announcements of changes at Family Tree DNA and to the FTDNA website. This is also for general communications by FTDNA staff.

Old 9th August 2016, 04:39 PM
FTDNA Customer

"Ancestry has many more trees, more in-depth and better researched/more accurate trees, and apparently uses time/place intersections in addition to just names. These are features folks on this forum have been clamoring for, to no know avail..."

I have a problem with your statement about Ancestry family trees. There are many good trees and then there are the many idiots who copy from a tree without even looking at it.

Many cases of following a line and then you reach a point and the parents are supposedly younger than their children .

Then there are people claiming their ancestors were born in Massachusetts or Connecticut before 1620. Really! White people there before the Mayflower. Not hardly!
Old 9th August 2016, 05:10 PM
FTDNA Customer

Of course, FTDNA's Family Trees are pure crap trying to follow through the scrolling all over the place. What a poor piece of crap. Whoever designed and coded it had no idea how to do it. It wasn't good on it;s previous version but it got worse with this version.

As to all the phony trees with the tested person and no one else. Look like FTDNA is running a scam so in about six months, they can announce we have more family trees on our site than any other testing company. Thanks a lot for nothing!
Old 9th August 2016, 05:30 PM
FTDNA Customer

My guess is that FTDNA will suddenly revert to something like the old version of the pedigree charts (the version that kinda worked) and proclaim it a great improvement! But yes, there's no excuse for the current version.
Old 10th August 2016, 01:04 AM
FTDNA Customer

My guess is that FTDNA will let Geni.com do the heavy-lifting and they'll only fix obvious errors and/or do some minor tweaks.

I've been keeping an eye on the progress of their addition of DNA and Geni will have to make some major upgrades to be competitive with Ancestry but they could poach ideas from GEDmatch and Ancestry like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansonrf View Post
Ancestry has many more trees, more in-depth and better researched/more accurate trees, and apparently uses time/place intersections in addition to just names. These are features folks on this forum have been clamoring for, to no know avail...
As they will have your tree the data is there to allow them to suggest where the DNA matches are coming from based on location and/or surname, as well as triangulation from known relatives and the particular chromosomes you match on. Currently, it isn't very helpful.
Old 10th August 2016, 06:07 AM
FTDNA Customer

The trees at AncestryDNA are a great way to test hypothetical lines of ancestry. I prefix such ancestors with a (?) & then see if new leaf hinted matches are pulled from the mix.

I much prefer Family Finder's reports with segment data, which I process in Genome Mate Pro. Trying to find a 4th or 5th cousin to participate can be a challenge, since they frequently don't share enough DNA with my field of participants to be worth testing. A minority do. I find that matches at AncestryDNA are a good way of identifying the good prospects for testing in Family Finder. Before the AncestryDNA downgrade, I would simply help them through an autosomal transfer. Now, this will be a lot tougher.

Timothy Peterman
Old 11th August 2016, 08:14 AM
FTDNA Customer

I and my parents have tested at FTDNA, and I and my mother at 23 and Ancestry. I will no longer recommend anyone to 23, and I will recommend Ancestry with caution due to their subscription requirements. While their trees may be better than FTDNA's, their customers' data are held hostage by subscriptions. My mother's Ancestry results just came in - I couldn't wait to see the DNA Circles, only to find out that I have to subscribe in order to get the full genealogical benefits out of our DNA results. What's worse is that if customers don't renew their subscription, they lose access to what they've already paid for, including documents that they've added to their trees. When I pay for something it's mine. Period.

FTDNA needs to heavily advertise, and focus on the fact that they don't charge subscriptions.
Old 11th August 2016, 02:11 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
FTDNA needs to heavily advertise, and focus on the fact that they don't charge subscriptions.
In order to be able to afford to heavily advertise, they would probably have to charge subscriptions - and/ or raise more revenue some other way (which we wouldn't like) - and/or cut costs which would undoubtedly mean cutting service (which again, we would not like).

So perhaps better solution is for us to point out that fact in any forums or discussions we can think of where folks might be interested.

And - THANK YOU Very Much for clarifying that at Ancestry, we "have to subscribe in order to get the full genealogical benefits out of our DNA results. What's worse is that if customers don't renew their subscription, they lose access to what they've already paid for, including documents that they've added to their trees."
Old 11th August 2016, 08:40 PM
FTDNA Customer

I'm going to comment on the tree situation at Ancestry.

First I have over 19,000 matches currently and 302 leaf hints for a common ancestor from those 19,000 matches. That's great. What isn't great is that Ancestry's marketing has people believing that they can take the DNA test and get a tree out of it by starting a free subscription and adding a couple of names to a tree. A tree on a silver platter.

Most of my recent matches have no tree at all, so all of Ancestry's hype about having so many DNA tests in their base is just that. Also many of these people have just joined Ancestry (2016) and are not likely to develop a tree in any real way once they find out how difficult and time consuming the research needed to do a tree can be. They take a DNA test too soon and are totally confused with the ethnicity results, and are surprised when no information starts appearing except the list of matches who don't have any information to share with them. And their tree of 10 or less people just doesn't go back far enough, if they even have 10 people on a tree. Most of my recent matches run to themselves and their parents or 3 people. All private, of course.

Ancestry does have the shared matches feature which is again nice, but it also can be totally useless when the shared matches also have no trees, or are from an unknown ancestor (again a common feature of the DNA testing.

Most of my Ancestry trees are useless since there is no way to compare the chromosomes for me to try to figure out along what chromosomes we match.

FTDNA has a difficulty with the format of their trees in that they are cumbersome to use but at least we have some ways to sort out matches other than just a possibility of a tree having a surname in common.

And don't get me started on the messaging system at Ancestry (wonky) , or what happens when someone isn't able to pay the monthly subscription fee after doing the DNA test and can't get see but a bit of a matches tree (if they have a tree).
Old 11th August 2016, 11:55 PM
FTDNA Customer

To add to what others have posted, and just to clarify my previous post as a non-subscription customer.

What I can see/do:

1. access my "ethnicity estimate" - the equivalent of myOrigins here. If I click on a match, I can see their full ethnicity estimate (as at 23), but unlike here, and that's a problem with FTDNA; if Ancestry and 23 can come up with privacy terms of service that cover full ethnicity disclosure to matches, surely FTDNA could do the same.

2. see our lists of matching cousins with their name/alias, and who they're administered by if applicable.

3. see shared matches.

4. message matches.

5. search matches by surname and birth location.

6. search the member directory by name and location.

What I can't see/do:

1. see surnames and map/locations of matches.

2. see family trees.

3. participate in DNA Circles.

4. access historical records.

To reiterate, if I pay for a subscription for this extra information, I'll lose access to it if I don't renew the subscription.
Old 13th August 2016, 09:40 AM
FTDNA Customer

I'm striving to debate, not argue...

I synch my tree(s) to standalone Family Tree Maker (FTM) and thus have never 'lost' anything, nor will I. This includes all Ancestry media as well as anything I've ever added. Roots Magic is stepping up and will fill the gap as FTM is going away at the end of this year. Roots Magic now imports directly from FTM and will synch seamlessly with Ancestry by the time of the switch over.

All my Ancestry and 23andMe family DNA data is safely on my computer and in GedMatch and at DNA.land and in FTDNA accounts; some free and some paid. The knowledge of the DNA matches I have found on Ancestry will never go away; the only problem I have is convincing folks they really should import their Ancestry DNA data to GedMatch, DNA.land and FTDNA for future considerations.

I love FTDNA. I also love Ancestry for trees, especially if I can synch and back up everything locally, which I can (and do all the charting I could imagine ever needed). I don't see it as either/or (the Tyranny of the Or...). I see it as having more than one screwdriver in my toolkit. I have had awesome success with Ancestry tree matches using their DNA data. I may be totally unique, but I doubt I really am.