Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Announcements and New Features

Announcements and New Features Announcements of changes at Family Tree DNA and to the FTDNA website. This is also for general communications by FTDNA staff.

Old 8th August 2016, 12:01 PM
FTDNA Customer

Ancestry Autosomal DNA Transfer

When will FTDNA's Autosomal DNA Transfer be compatible with Ancestry's updated file format?
Old 8th August 2016, 12:21 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPLeBlanc View Post
When will FTDNA's Autosomal DNA Transfer be compatible with Ancestry's updated file format?
I'll be surprised if ever. Like 23andMe's V4 chipset kits, AncestryDNA's new format does not have enough meat to it (i.e. SNP's used for genealogical prediction).

If anyone is serious about relationships more than a few generations back and can only test with one service, Family Finder is the only way to go.

Jack
Old 8th August 2016, 04:25 PM
FTDNA Customer

I don't understand the rationale of changing to a chip that analyses LESS of your DNA.
Old 8th August 2016, 04:48 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd-jean-pull View Post
I don't understand the rationale of changing to a chip that analyses LESS of your DNA.
I would like to see FTDNA make a pledge not to ever make drop in the SNP's that it is measuring (except if a particular SNP is shown to be useless in analysis), but to only add to them. I think that would be a marketing coup.

Right now, FTDNA needs something.

Jack
Old 8th August 2016, 05:32 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd-jean-pull View Post
It is not so much that they test less of the DNA, just different SNPs which do not match up with FTDNA's tested SNPs...old ancestry chip tested the same SNPs as FTDNA (more or less) but ancestry customized new chip to test various other SNPs

The new ancestry chip test around 642000 SNPs (chr 1 thru 22)
FTDNA chip tests around 698000 SNPs

But comparable SNPs (identical tested SNPs) between two chips is only around 411000 SNPS
Old 9th August 2016, 05:08 AM
FTDNA Customer

I talked to Family Tree DNA about this problem & the recommendation is that the Ancestry folk simply participate in Family Finder with an actual sample & kit, rather than doing an autosomal transfer.

I have to wonder if that is a contributing factor in Family Tree DNA's decision to lower the Family Finder price indefinitely to $69.

Timothy Peterman
Old 9th August 2016, 10:54 AM
FTDNA Customer

Let's be real. Ancestry kits compare just fine via GedMatch, and the Ancestry.com tree-matching feature is just simply AWESOME. Worth every penny. I just bought a bunch of Ancestry kits for the sole purpose of duplicating tests, on folks done here and at 23andMe, just to get Ancestry tree matching.

Don't get me wrong, I am an FTDNA fan. FTDNA just doesn't have the tools we need to find matches in trees, largely because trees, and tree tools, here are largely lame, if they exist at all. Ancestry made the strategic move to exit y- and mt- DNA and focus only on autosomal and tree-matching. It seems to be paying off for them and folks who use Ancestry.
Old 9th August 2016, 11:07 AM
FTDNA Customer

BTW - I agree fully with georgian1950 and ltd-jean-pull as posted prior; LESS (fewer) should be avoided unless it is actually proven better.

On the flip side, I'd rather 100 quarters than 100 pennies, all things being normal and I couldn't have both.
Old 9th August 2016, 11:10 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansonrf View Post
Let's be real. Ancestry kits compare just fine via GedMatch,
The new AncestryDNA kits and 23andMe V4 (and earlier V2) chipset kits may match with Family Finder, earlier AncestryDNA kits, and 23andMe V3 chipset kits for close relationships with big matching segments, but they are completely incompatible when you are looking at smaller segments a bit further back.

The latest AncestryDNA and 23andMe kits are seriously watering down what you can discover with GEDmatch.

I also don't care for what AncestryDNA is doing with its own analysis where it throws away what it does not understand (i.e. Timber) instead of trying to figure it out.

The current AncestryDNA is crap, but the company is walking away with most of the market.

Jack Wyatt
Old 9th August 2016, 12:29 PM
FTDNA Customer

Like you, I've been doing this energetically for a few years, help others, and have my own successes and failures.

A couple of my largest successes have been with my grandsons on Ancestry and the connections Ancestry has found with others who have extensive trees. The connections it found through me and through my wife's side were known, correct and confirmed. The connections it discovered on their father's side were unknown (the reason I tested them, specifically), and have been found to be correct in the situations we have been able to now confirm. Ancestry has many more trees, more in-depth and better researched/more accurate trees, and apparently uses time/place intersections in addition to just names. These are features folks on this forum have been clamoring for, to no know avail...

No other service has or uses this info, either, and many of us have resorted to spreadsheets and assorted witchcraft to do similar searching for crossed paths, since besides in-vitro, a couple had to have been in the same place at the same time to conceive. I don't pretend to know their algorithms but I do know that the results are amazing. The biggest problem there as well is folks with DNA and no trees, and folks who want to get without sharing in return; an unfortunate sign of the times.

I like FTDNA; they are the best at y- and mt- and I am obviously a fan of these well-run forums and the true experts that spend their days here (like yourself). I admin more family/friend kits here than anywhere else. As a retired engineer/scientist I just feel compelled to admit how Ancestry has advanced the utility of as-DNA matching. I just wish they did imports, or better yet, that they purchased GedMatch...

Bob Hanson

Last edited by hansonrf; 9th August 2016 at 12:35 PM. Reason: add name