Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Geographic Project Forums > African DNA Project

Old 11th May 2007, 06:05 PM

My new website has my family info

Hello,

I would like to invite everyone to visit my new website. It has my most distant known ancestors on my paternal and maternal families.

Thanks,

http://www.thisbrother.com/
Old 12th May 2007, 08:26 PM

Sites - Great Idea!

Hi Eric,

I love the pictures at your site. Very interesting history on the migration of your Miller's to Liberia. Did any return to the US? How did the family keep in touch in the early years.

I have a very simple pedigree chart, made with ms word. (I'm not that literate with web pages and html. I can't even make the yellow highlight work that I mention regarding all the descendants with the same L3 mutations.) But, I think it's a good idea to let people know about our sites. Mine is at http://members.aol.com/scabbegen/family/index.html

There is a link to my 4 major lines from there, (but they need to be updated.)
Thanks for sharing your site!
Old 13th May 2007, 08:03 PM

My Website

Unfortunately my ggg uncle Aaron Miller died a few years after he made it over. An elderly cousin says that her dad would get letters sometime, but he never talked about it. I am still trying to connect with any Millers from my family that are still in Liberia and those that came back. Over 125 residents from Lowndes County, Ga migrated to Liberia because of the violence that occured after the Civil War. A descendant of one of these emigrates contacted me and he was able to identify his family due to the roster that I found in my research. I hope to connect with more, unfortunately because of the issues in Liberia, connecting with distant family in not their highest priority.

You website looks fine. The key is that is has good content.
Old 13th May 2007, 11:36 PM

Thanks for sharing your web site, Eric. Very nicely done. Antique photographs like yours are a treasure. I hope you find some links to your families.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valdostan
Hello,

I would like to invite everyone to visit my new website. It has my most distant known ancestors on my paternal and maternal families.

Thanks,

http://www.thisbrother.com/
Old 21st May 2007, 04:49 PM

Fires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valdostan
Unfortunately my ggg uncle Aaron Miller died a few years after he made it over. An elderly cousin says that her dad would get letters sometime, but he never talked about it. I am still trying to connect with any Millers from my family that are still in Liberia and those that came back. Over 125 residents from Lowndes County, Ga migrated to Liberia because of the violence that occured after the Civil War. A descendant of one of these emigrates contacted me and he was able to identify his family due to the roster that I found in my research. I hope to connect with more, unfortunately because of the issues in Liberia, connecting with distant family in not their highest priority.

You website looks fine. The key is that is has good content.
Hi Eric,
How did you fair with the fires? It would be great if you could track down some more letters. I remember reading that some 5,000 residents of Edgefield Co, SC packed up and moved in the 1870s because of the violence. I wonder if any might have gone to Liberia. (Most of my family were already in Abbeville Co, SC by this time.)
Old 24th May 2007, 12:47 PM

American Colonization Society

The American Colonization Society was the main group responsible for helping Freedmen immigrate to Liberia. I was able to find the roster by looking through their publications. They provided a list of all the residents who booked passage. They list the ship name, departure dates, and arrival dates. Please see the bibliography in my article below. They also have articles about the settlers and Liberia. Also, at the Library of Congress National Archives in D.C., they have letters to and from settlers and officials at the American Colonization society.

You should be able to find microfische of the index journal "African Repository" in a major public library or college library.

http://thisbrother.com/valdosta/liberia.htm