Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Geographic Project Forums > British Isles DNA Project

Old 16th November 2015, 11:27 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standisher View Post
I appreciate the comments from people who know much more than me and I try to remember that DNA testing isn't just for experts ... it's for people like me. If people are to have confidence in genetic testing then it has to be correct first time. Going to Gedmatch and analysing is beyond my level of knowledge and that isn't what I paid for. My relationship with the company is a contract for a service. Is this an evidence based test verifiable by a third party or is it not?
It is evidence based. The AIMs that are being assigned as Middle Eastern really do exist in Middle Eastern people but since DNA from the Middle East, and from Asia Minor which is probably what you have, also made it's way into Europe from the Bronze Age http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2015/15...ms9912_F1.html then that is most likely why you have those AIMs in your DNA.

Middle Eastern - Asia Minor is showing up in a lot of people's ancestry at FTDNA but not elsewhere that it looks to be a case of misassigning AIMs and nothing else.

The only way to tell if it is from a more recent ancestor is if it consistently shows up with the competitor's test and/or you have relative matches with a very large amount or exclusively Middle Eastern.

Last edited by Armando; 16th November 2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old 16th November 2015, 11:50 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armando View Post
It is evidence based. The AIMs that are being assigned as Middle Eastern really do exist in Middle Eastern people but since DNA from the Middle East, and from Asia Minor which is probably what you have, also made it's way into Europe from the Bronze Age http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2015/15...ms9912_F1.html then that is most likely why you have those AIMs in your DNA.

Middle Eastern - Asia Minor is showing up in a lot of people's ancestry at FTDNA but not elsewhere that it looks to be a case of misassigning AIMs and nothing else.

The only way to tell if it is from a more recent ancestor is if it consistently shows up with the competitor's test and/or you have relative matches with a very large amount or exclusively Middle Eastern.
My research has uncovered two population flows within the past three hundred years that can cause anomalies in admixture. I have found evidence that middle men brought women enslaved by the Barbary Pirates to the American Colonies. Most of them are from non-African mtDNA haplogroups and come from the areas that the Barbary Pirates preyed upon. Secondly, some back migration occurred from the Colonies/USA to Europe during the 18th Century and in particular to Great Britain as a result of the American Revolution. These two factors could very well account for the two percent ME.

Jack Wyatt
Old 16th November 2015, 04:02 PM
FTDNA Customer

... I'm done with this thread. TY for comments
Old 16th November 2015, 04:24 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgian1950 View Post
My research has uncovered two population flows within the past three hundred years that can cause anomalies in admixture. I have found evidence that middle men brought women enslaved by the Barbary Pirates to the American Colonies. Most of them are from non-African mtDNA haplogroups and come from the areas that the Barbary Pirates preyed upon. Secondly, some back migration occurred from the Colonies/USA to Europe during the 18th Century and in particular to Great Britain as a result of the American Revolution. These two factors could very well account for the two percent ME.

Jack Wyatt
If that were the cause then Germans wouldn't be getting it also at FTDNA. Additionally, it should be enough for it to show up at 23andme in those people but it doesn't.
Old 16th November 2015, 07:35 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armando View Post
If that were the cause then Germans wouldn't be getting it also at FTDNA. Additionally, it should be enough for it to show up at 23andme in those people but it doesn't.
I have found plenty of cases where someone has a German ancestor in the early 1800's which I can tie to woman of a particular haplogroup who was enslaved in North Carolina in the early 1700s. You know that there was a group of Germans that got stuck in America for a while in the 1780s. Some of them may have had time to find a bride to take back with them who had ancestry in the North Carolina human trafficking ring. I can come up with all kinds of scenarios. The important thing is that I can show that it happened.

I think some of the descendents of the enslaved women had enough language and customs handed down that returning to Europe was a real possibility to them. I can show cases of back migration to all parts of Europe.

Jack Wyatt
Old 17th November 2015, 07:59 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgian1950 View Post
I have found plenty of cases where someone has a German ancestor in the early 1800's which I can tie to woman of a particular haplogroup who was enslaved in North Carolina in the early 1700s. You know that there was a group of Germans that got stuck in America for a while in the 1780s. Some of them may have had time to find a bride to take back with them who had ancestry in the North Carolina human trafficking ring. I can come up with all kinds of scenarios. The important thing is that I can show that it happened.

I think some of the descendents of the enslaved women had enough language and customs handed down that returning to Europe was a real possibility to them. I can show cases of back migration to all parts of Europe.

Jack Wyatt
Extremely doubtful that every single German that gets Middle Eastern - Asia Minor in myOrigins and has good family trees not getting anything similar to Middle Eastern - Asia Minor at 23andme is due to your scenario. Anything that fits your scenario would be a one-off and to just happen to find the descendants that have the DNA from those one-offs is statistically improbable.