Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Geographic Project Forums > British Isles DNA Project

Old 12th November 2015, 05:01 AM
FTDNA Customer

Disappointed

I know I shouldn't be ... but I'm disappointed at my results

British 93%
Scando 5%
Middle Eastern 2%

Not at all what I hoped for. I'm a Celt with a little bit of other stuff in the mix. My family is from Lancashire with a Scottish mother so can't expect anything else? Any ideas on the Middle Eastern? Could this be an indication of Roman origins? .... I hope.

(submitted earlier in wrong section)
Old 13th November 2015, 05:25 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standisher View Post
I know I shouldn't be ... but I'm disappointed at my results

British 93%
Scando 5%
Middle Eastern 2%

Not at all what I hoped for. I'm a Celt with a little bit of other stuff in the mix. My family is from Lancashire with a Scottish mother so can't expect anything else? Any ideas on the Middle Eastern? Could this be an indication of Roman origins? .... I hope.

(submitted earlier in wrong section)
Middle Eastern 2% could be a false positive. It has happened to other people with northern European ancestry. Are there people in your match list with ancestry besides northern Europe? If so, are they mixed? If you don't have any then it is likely a false positive. Have you tested at AncestryDNA or 23andme? They don't have false positives as often as myOrigins.
Old 14th November 2015, 01:40 PM
FTDNA Customer

They changed the result

I looked today and the result had changed to:-

69% British and Irish
13% Scandinavian
16% Western and Central Euopean
2% Middle Eastern

I'm a little concerned that the results changed in a few days. When is a result a result and when does it become purely conjectural and a moveable feast? False positives are a worrying idea. I rather trusted that labs work on the numbers rather than rule of thumb. I used FTDNA.
Old 15th November 2015, 12:09 PM
FTDNA Customer

I have read about several people having their FTDNA myOrigins results changing shortly after receiving the results. I have no idea why that happens. If you are concerned you should also get tested elsewhere.

The false positives are due to the AIMs (Ancestry-informative markers) that exist in multiple populations but since the calculator assigned those SNPs to a population that shares ancient ancestry with you then you are given that population. The calculators use comparisons of AIMs to determine which population they belong to and the calculators can't be 100% precise due to the way DNA mutates and recombines and because the reference databases still aren't big enough. Even so FTDNA has more of a problem with this than other companies.

MyOrigins will be getting another update. http://www.ancestorcentral.com/11th-...tic-genealogy/
Old 16th November 2015, 04:26 AM
FTDNA Customer

I understand about getting tested elsewhere. I have the feeling this is letting FTDNA 'off the hook'. The question for me is around the trustworthyness of the test. How reliable is FTDNA in the first instance and what is the value of testing with them? I may go elsewhere.
Old 16th November 2015, 07:54 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
I understand about getting tested elsewhere. I have the feeling this is letting FTDNA 'off the hook'. The question for me is around the trustworthyness of the test. How reliable is FTDNA in the first instance and what is the value of testing with them? I may go elsewhere.
The autosomal DNA tests themselves are highly reliable. Any kind of admixture utility is just someone's statistical guess work. There might be something to the 2% Middle East. Rather than saying it is wrong, I'd upload my results to GEDmatch and get busy comparing with others and analyzing the results.

Most people have some lines that are different than they realize. If pre-conceived notions are always right, why test at all?

Jack Wyatt
Old 16th November 2015, 08:54 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgian1950 View Post
The autosomal DNA tests themselves are highly reliable. Any kind of admixture utility is just someone's statistical guess work. There might be something to the 2% Middle East. Rather than saying it is wrong, I'd upload my results to GEDmatch and get busy comparing with others and analyzing the results.

Most people have some lines that are different than they realize. If pre-conceived notions are always right, why test at all?

Jack Wyatt
It's not someone's statistical guesswork. It the programs that are used that are assigning the AIMs to specific populations based on the K and reference populations used. The Middle Eastern could have something to it but a large number of people are getting it at FTDNA that don't get it at other companies and FTDNA has problems with other populations compared to other companies so the track record at FTDNA isn't as good. I haven't found Gedmatch to be anymore helpful with this specific component. Matches that weren't expected would be evidence that it is not misassigned AIMs.
Old 16th November 2015, 08:56 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
The only way they are going to improve it is if people let them know that results that don't make sense are showing up. They don't read this forum much so this isn't how to go about doing that.
Old 16th November 2015, 10:36 AM
FTDNA Customer

I appreciate the comments from people who know much more than me and I try to remember that DNA testing isn't just for experts ... it's for people like me. If people are to have confidence in genetic testing then it has to be correct first time. Going to Gedmatch and analysing is beyond my level of knowledge and that isn't what I paid for. My relationship with the company is a contract for a service. Is this an evidence based test verifiable by a third party or is it not?
Old 16th November 2015, 11:08 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
I appreciate the comments from people who know much more than me and I try to remember that DNA testing isn't just for experts ... it's for people like me. If people are to have confidence in genetic testing then it has to be correct first time. Going to Gedmatch and analysing is beyond my level of knowledge and that isn't what I paid for. My relationship with the company is a contract for a service. Is this an evidence based test verifiable by a third party or is it not?
I understand what you are saying. However, say if you go back eight generations, you have 256 possible lines. The chances are that something completely unexpected happened with a few of those lines. There is no way to get an easy answer about your ancestry without someone doing some serious digging. I sure Armando will disagree with me, but I feel confident that there is a reason for two percent Middle East in your "My Origins". I would have to be able to analyze a GEDmatch kit to see what the connection is, if any, but I don't see that Family Finder has been proven wrong yet.

If you know what the results were supposed to be, why bother with testing?

Jack Wyatt