Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Basics

Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Basics This forum is for those new to personal ancestry testing on the direct paternal line with Y-DNA SNP tests. All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 20th March 2015, 07:29 AM
FTDNA Customer

Question about my Haplogroup

Hi all! I just got the results of my Y67 test and it says my Haplogroup is R-M512. Other matches I have that are R-M512 are also R1a1a1* I am wondering is that what my R stands for? Why did I not get that designation as well. Or am I an idiot and just not understanding something? thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 04:50 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiskopf View Post
I just got the results of my Y67 test and it says my Haplogroup is R-M512. Other matches I have that are R-M512 are also R1a1a1*
I don't know where you are seeing the old notation (R1a1a1*). FTDNA is trying to switch everything over to the new notation (R-M512).

But in your case, your closest match (distance 3 at 67 markers) has a terminal SNP of CTS6, right? (I am presuming you are in my project.) He is R-CTS6, and you are almost certainly R-CTS6 also. Here is the latest haplotree for R-CTS6. You almost certainly belong more specifically to R-Y2619, which began to expand only 1400 years ago.

You might want to ask your closest matches whether any of them have ordered the Big Y, to nail down precisely where they are on the tree.

Last edited by lgmayka; 20th March 2015 at 04:53 PM.
Old 20th March 2015, 06:45 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks for answering, I need to take a tutorial on this stuff as your answer just confused me more. I saw the old notation in my projects that I am a part of they all seem to do it, the CRARG one, the one for Przedborz or the general Jewish one. It seems like this was a heading and then people were grouped under certain ones, whereas I was in the ungrouped one which led me to believe that there were 2 differnet things but what you are saying is the R-M512 is just a newer notation and the one I referred to is an old outdated notation?

Which project are you in?

So you think instead of R-M512 I am really a R-CTS6 and more specifically R-Y2619 - which is what, the first is a haplogroup and the second is a subset of that?

And one last question, please - my haplogroup of R-M512 is only predicted so should I do some of the recommended SNP tests. ANd if so which one should I order, the R-CTS6 one are there any others I should also order? At $39 a pop it could get pricey and it seems like there are quite a lot that I could add, but do I need to and what is the point of it to know with certainty my haplogroup? Should I just upgrade to the Y111 would that do it or would I then still need to order the SNP tests to be sure?

And it is interesting the two groups you mention as my oral family history has always been that my family were Levites and the testing does seem to confirm that so score one for oral tradition.

thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my question that I posed earlier today and I would appreciate any help you can shed on my other questions. thanks! David W.
Old 20th March 2015, 09:30 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
It seems like this was a heading and then people were grouped under certain ones, whereas I was in the ungrouped one which led me to believe that there were 2 differnet things but what you are saying is the R-M512 is just a newer notation and the one I referred to is an old outdated notation?
R-M512 and R-M198 are the same thing. The old name for this branch was R1a1a.

"Ungrouped" is FTDNA's way of saying that the administrator has not yet noticed your arrival and moved you into a specific group. FTDNA is supposed to send the administrator an email whenever someone joins the project, but this notification system has been malfunctioning recently.
Quote:
Which project are you in?
The Polish Project.
Quote:
So you think instead of R-M512 I am really a R-CTS6 and more specifically R-Y2619 - which is what, the first is a haplogroup and the second is a subset of that?
These are levels of specificity. This is the R-M512 (or R-M198) tree. Deep within it is the more specific R-CTS6 tree. But in that R-CTS6 tree, you can see that all the paying customers (entries starting with YF) belong more specifically to R-Y2619. Only a research sample (entry starting with HG) is outside Y2619.
Quote:
And one last question, please - my haplogroup of R-M512 is only predicted so should I do some of the recommended SNP tests. ANd if so which one should I order, the R-CTS6 one are there any others I should also order? At $39 a pop it could get pricey and it seems like there are quite a lot that I could add, but do I need to and what is the point of it to know with certainty my haplogroup? Should I just upgrade to the Y111 would that do it or would I then still need to order the SNP tests to be sure?
Your many close matches are an "embarrassment of riches"--they give you plenty of options. Which you choose depends on your goals and means. The "Cadillac solution" is the Big Y, but $575 (or even $475 with a coupon) may be more than you're willing to spend right now.

As a first step, I suggest you contact your closest matches--particularly the ones who already have a specific terminal SNP like CTS6 or CTS3412. Perhaps one of them has already ordered the Big Y.
Quote:
And it is interesting the two groups you mention as my oral family history has always been that my family were Levites and the testing does seem to confirm that so score one for oral tradition.
Yes, you belong to the Ashkenazi Levite clade.
Old 20th March 2015, 11:59 PM
FTDNA Customer

thank you for answering my questions

Thanks so much for answering my questions. I have a lot to learn and look forward to it.