Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Announcements and New Features

Announcements and New Features Announcements of changes at Family Tree DNA and to the FTDNA website. This is also for general communications by FTDNA staff.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 13th May 2015, 03:26 PM
hfp43 hfp43 is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 150
My two "pink banner and locked" accounts were back to normal this morning.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 13th May 2015, 03:26 PM
sshayward sshayward is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 28
Pink Banner

I noticed the pink banner as well and I just got my brother's Y37 results. His was R-M269 as well. Is this just a very broad analysis? Seems like there are a lot of this haplogroup. Is it a common group?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 13th May 2015, 03:40 PM
Tenn4ever Tenn4ever is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshayward View Post
I noticed the pink banner as well and I just got my brother's Y37 results. His was R-M269 as well. Is this just a very broad analysis? Seems like there are a lot of this haplogroup. Is it a common group?
I think a SNP test is necessary to confirm a haplogroup....one further downstream. Look at the 'advanced Y forums'.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 13th May 2015, 05:41 PM
dna dna is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshayward View Post
I noticed the pink banner as well and I just got my brother's Y37 results. His was R-M269 as well. Is this just a very broad analysis? Seems like there are a lot of this haplogroup. Is it a common group?
Yes, that is a very broad designation.

Please take a look at the Frequency table in the article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_R1b


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenn4ever View Post
I think a SNP test is necessary to confirm a haplogroup....one further downstream. Look at the 'advanced Y forums'.
Although it is rather certain that your brother is positive for R-M269, as Tenn4ever indicated, only SNP testing can confirm the haplogroups (SNPs) your brother belongs to.

When viewing your brother account, you should see a link to a Big Y test, that could be your next option.

W. (Mr.)

Last edited by dna; 13th May 2015 at 05:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 13th May 2015, 06:48 PM
MikeP MikeP is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 311
I still have the pink banner. I put in for a couple of snps. Could the banner have anything to do with pending snp results? Or is it just random?
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 13th May 2015, 07:11 PM
dna dna is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
I still have the pink banner. I put in for a couple of snps. Could the banner have anything to do with pending snp results? Or is it just random?
Waiting for any word from FTDNA... Waiting... Still waiting...

W. (Mr.)
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 14th May 2015, 07:16 AM
Karim Karim is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 27
I hade this banner the last two day, despite i'am R-M459 (R1A1) confirmed by BIG Y test, and it is disapeared today but when i verified my haplotree page i found this notice "The undifferentiated R1 lineage is quite rare. It is found only at very low frequencies in Europe, Central Asia, and South Asia. This lineage possibly originated in Europe and then migrated east into Asia" so according this notice i'am not R1A1 haplogroup confirmed but R1 can anyone of ftdna team explaine this incohérence?
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 14th May 2015, 08:11 AM
KATM KATM is offline
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mid-Atlantic coast, U.S.A.
Posts: 806
Same here. I got the same message on the haplotree page in my father's account, even though he has tested down to a subclade of R1b-Z253 (L1308) via SNP panel testing. "Your Confirmed Haplogroup is R-L1308" is just above the "undifferentiated" message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim View Post
I hade this banner the last two day, despite i'am R-M459 (R1A1) confirmed by BIG Y test, and it is disapeared today but when i verified my haplotree page i found this notice "The undifferentiated R1 lineage is quite rare. It is found only at very low frequencies in Europe, Central Asia, and South Asia. This lineage possibly originated in Europe and then migrated east into Asia" so according this notice i'am not R1A1 haplogroup confirmed but R1 can anyone of ftdna team explaine this incohérence?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 14th May 2015, 08:46 AM
sshayward sshayward is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 28
Question SNP testing vs Big Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post
Yes, that is a very broad designation.

Please take a look at the Frequency table in the article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_R1b


Although it is rather certain that your brother is positive for R-M269, as Tenn4ever indicated, only SNP testing can confirm the haplogroups (SNPs) your brother belongs to.

When viewing your brother account, you should see a link to a Big Y test, that could be your next option.

W. (Mr.)
Is there a big difference between Big Y and SNP testing? I am sure the SNP testing is very specific, but is the Big Y all inclusive?
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 14th May 2015, 01:23 PM
dna dna is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshayward View Post
Is there a big difference between Big Y and SNP testing? I am sure the SNP testing is very specific, but is the Big Y all inclusive?
Is the Big Y test all inclusive? No, it has some weak spots, but I think the benefits outweigh them.

I hope one of Big Y knowledgeable people does answer your query in detail, but to me the only barrier to Big Y testing is the financial one. As the Big Y test has easy to understand advantages:
  • It could be cheaper or at least comparable in cost to testing of individual SNPs! Likely many SNPs need to be tested, and then some additional ones to confirm that there are no more SNPs that are testing positive below your terminal one.
  • It is way faster to get a Big Y result in a couple of months (individual results vary, consult https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...-results-take/ before proceeding etc.), then waiting a couple of month for each SNP tested.
  • Big Y is testing SNPs that are not on the FTDNA tree yet, so you might get deeper, than when ordering individual SNP tests.

W. (Mr.)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question on haplogroup prediction arkham Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Basics 18 20th August 2015 08:39 AM
2015. mjaMahé Recreation Room 3 2nd January 2015 07:40 PM
Haplogroup Prediction and Change Tenn4ever Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics 0 20th December 2014 11:22 AM
haplogroup prediction for HVR tests Ann Turner mtDNA - Advanced Topics 0 29th October 2014 04:47 AM
Haplogroup Prediction System K. Campbell Group Administrators - Advanced Chat 0 10th March 2004 08:34 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 AM.


Family Tree DNA - World Headquarters

1445 North Loop West, Suite 820
Houston, Texas 77008, USA

Phone: (713) 868-1438 | Fax: (832) 201-7147
Copyright 2001-2010 Genealogy by Genetics, Ltd.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.