Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Announcements and New Features

Announcements and New Features Announcements of changes at Family Tree DNA and to the FTDNA website. This is also for general communications by FTDNA staff.

Old 13th May 2015, 03:26 PM
FTDNA Customer

My two "pink banner and locked" accounts were back to normal this morning.
Old 13th May 2015, 03:26 PM
FTDNA Customer

Pink Banner

I noticed the pink banner as well and I just got my brother's Y37 results. His was R-M269 as well. Is this just a very broad analysis? Seems like there are a lot of this haplogroup. Is it a common group?
Old 13th May 2015, 03:40 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshayward View Post
I noticed the pink banner as well and I just got my brother's Y37 results. His was R-M269 as well. Is this just a very broad analysis? Seems like there are a lot of this haplogroup. Is it a common group?
I think a SNP test is necessary to confirm a haplogroup....one further downstream. Look at the 'advanced Y forums'.
Old 13th May 2015, 05:41 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Yes, that is a very broad designation.

Please take a look at the Frequency table in the article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_R1b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenn4ever View Post
I think a SNP test is necessary to confirm a haplogroup....one further downstream. Look at the 'advanced Y forums'.
Although it is rather certain that your brother is positive for R-M269, as Tenn4ever indicated, only SNP testing can confirm the haplogroups (SNPs) your brother belongs to.

When viewing your brother account, you should see a link to a Big Y test, that could be your next option.

W. (Mr.)

Last edited by dna; 13th May 2015 at 05:45 PM.
Old 13th May 2015, 06:48 PM
FTDNA Customer

I still have the pink banner. I put in for a couple of snps. Could the banner have anything to do with pending snp results? Or is it just random?
Old 13th May 2015, 07:11 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
I still have the pink banner. I put in for a couple of snps. Could the banner have anything to do with pending snp results? Or is it just random?
Waiting for any word from FTDNA... Waiting... Still waiting...

W. (Mr.)
Old 14th May 2015, 07:16 AM
FTDNA Customer

I hade this banner the last two day, despite i'am R-M459 (R1A1) confirmed by BIG Y test, and it is disapeared today but when i verified my haplotree page i found this notice "The undifferentiated R1 lineage is quite rare. It is found only at very low frequencies in Europe, Central Asia, and South Asia. This lineage possibly originated in Europe and then migrated east into Asia" so according this notice i'am not R1A1 haplogroup confirmed but R1 can anyone of ftdna team explaine this incohérence?
Old 14th May 2015, 08:11 AM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

Same here. I got the same message on the haplotree page in my father's account, even though he has tested down to a subclade of R1b-Z253 (L1308) via SNP panel testing. "Your Confirmed Haplogroup is R-L1308" is just above the "undifferentiated" message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim View Post
I hade this banner the last two day, despite i'am R-M459 (R1A1) confirmed by BIG Y test, and it is disapeared today but when i verified my haplotree page i found this notice "The undifferentiated R1 lineage is quite rare. It is found only at very low frequencies in Europe, Central Asia, and South Asia. This lineage possibly originated in Europe and then migrated east into Asia" so according this notice i'am not R1A1 haplogroup confirmed but R1 can anyone of ftdna team explaine this incohérence?
Old 14th May 2015, 08:46 AM
FTDNA Customer

Question SNP testing vs Big Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post
Yes, that is a very broad designation.

Please take a look at the Frequency table in the article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_R1b

Although it is rather certain that your brother is positive for R-M269, as Tenn4ever indicated, only SNP testing can confirm the haplogroups (SNPs) your brother belongs to.

When viewing your brother account, you should see a link to a Big Y test, that could be your next option.

W. (Mr.)
Is there a big difference between Big Y and SNP testing? I am sure the SNP testing is very specific, but is the Big Y all inclusive?
Old 14th May 2015, 01:23 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Is there a big difference between Big Y and SNP testing? I am sure the SNP testing is very specific, but is the Big Y all inclusive?
Is the Big Y test all inclusive? No, it has some weak spots, but I think the benefits outweigh them.

I hope one of Big Y knowledgeable people does answer your query in detail, but to me the only barrier to Big Y testing is the financial one. As the Big Y test has easy to understand advantages:
  • It could be cheaper or at least comparable in cost to testing of individual SNPs! Likely many SNPs need to be tested, and then some additional ones to confirm that there are no more SNPs that are testing positive below your terminal one.
  • It is way faster to get a Big Y result in a couple of months (individual results vary, consult https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...-results-take/ before proceeding etc.), then waiting a couple of month for each SNP tested.
  • Big Y is testing SNPs that are not on the FTDNA tree yet, so you might get deeper, than when ordering individual SNP tests.

W. (Mr.)