Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Announcements and New Features

Announcements and New Features Announcements of changes at Family Tree DNA and to the FTDNA website. This is also for general communications by FTDNA staff.

Old 17th February 2015, 05:39 PM
FTDNA Customer

I got an e-mail urging me to contact my administrator and demand switching to mygroups. The reward is supposed to be all the daily coupons and discounts ... that one would not presumably get otherwise ...
Old 17th February 2015, 11:16 PM
FTDNA Customer

There must be some bug as I can see most new MyGroups Activity Feeds without being a member. Thus the coupon code, which can be used only once.
Old 17th February 2015, 11:28 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastara View Post
There must be some bug as I can see most new MyGroups Activity Feeds without being a member. Thus the coupon code, which can be used only once.
I could use a $100 off for Big Y coupon code

Thank you in advance Mr. W.
Old 17th February 2015, 11:40 PM
FTDNA Customer

I belong to several surname projects and other projects on several of my kits. Only one has joined myGroups and I really like it. I wish the others would join. The one which has switched over has over 3000 members...the Cumberland Gap group. Roberta Estes of DNAexPlained is one of the administrators.
Old 18th February 2015, 12:33 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgmayka View Post
The most obvious immediate result of myGroups is that FTDNA's web site is now overloaded and frequently gives the message below. Does FTDNA realize that if you want to run a social networking site, you need to triple the number of servers?

By the way, this is on Google Chrome. Perhaps FTDNA's web site is now only meant to be compatible with Internet Explorer; but needless to say, that's not very web-friendly.
---
Server Error in '/' Application.

The wait operation timed out

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The wait operation timed out
At some point yesterday I could not see the STR results for one project, but I could see them in yours. Presently I can see everything in both projects. But I now get the Server Application for just trying to look at my brother's matches! I really hope they fix this soon. It is reminding me of when GEDmatch goes down.
Old 18th February 2015, 09:31 AM
FTDNA Customer

Some Advanced notice would help GA's HELP FT-DNA

Hi,
I have three GEOGRAPHIC DNA projects with FT-DNA. I am pretty hands-on and do check my project members matches every two or so days.

I wish FT-DNA would at least put out an email to the GA's to explain changes BEFORE they go public. For example, when the family tree option went live we still don't have the geographic locations added. Knowing the GEOGRAPHIC location is crucial for our projects.

I have no clue what to tell people this new My Groups is even all about. This is the first I'm hearing of it. So no, I have NOT clicked on update all my projects until I know more. Is there somewhere to see what the My Groups is all about?

Why do all the places FT-DNA report updates seem "out of date?" Perhaps, FT-DNA should get on the SAME page first, then let us help YOU!

KAM
Old 18th February 2015, 10:28 AM
FTDNA Customer

I think our group will be opting out of this monstrosity. It is fine if everyone in your group is from the same line. But us Garrisons have many different lineages and Haplogroups about 215 members. The discussions started by one sub-group and picked up by another will get our members confused and will only set us back years after getting these lines convinced by DNA that they are not a descendant of the other subgroups!!!!

Some members become easily confused and this will set our project back. If they could let us restrict members activity to their own sub groups within our group it might work. But we can't have them trading information outside the sub-groups or they will just get confused!

The coupons should be delivered to EVERYONE and not to rely on us to put them out.
Old 18th February 2015, 11:56 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Táltos View Post
At some point yesterday I could not see the STR results for one project, but I could see them in yours. Presently I can see everything in both projects. But I now get the Server Application for just trying to look at my brother's matches! I really hope they fix this soon. It is reminding me of when GEDmatch goes down.
Meant to say Server Error message (was too tired writing this last night). Anyway I also had problems just going to log in after that happened. The FTDNA website wouldn't load and the screen would say Server Error. Now this morning I can login to the FTDNA website, and see my brother's matches. I hope this doesn't contiue to happen. I'm concerned because it was the same Server Error message I was getting when I couldn't see the STRs in myGroups.
Old 19th February 2015, 07:08 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thumbs down

FTDNA has told us that ALL projects will be converted to MyGroups as of April 16. Admins can convert between now and then. If we haven't converted they will make the conversion to any remaining projects.

Last edited by Jim Barrett; 19th February 2015 at 07:10 AM.
Old 19th February 2015, 02:50 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thumbs down Don't like the new groups interface

If I wanted to yammer away like on Facebook I go there. I don't like having to scroll through the yammerings in the Activity Feeds.

Project announcements and extended discussions and analyses by the project admins should remain on separate pages.

Message notifications on group yammerings is irritating, to put it mildly. I have no way of controlling in my settings to turn that off. On the other hand, a notification that an analysis/discussion page has been updated would be nice, and project admins should be able to control whether or not to broadcast an update notification.

Why do I feel like this website is getting dumbed down ?

Last edited by sbarr10; 19th February 2015 at 02:57 PM.