Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 25th November 2014, 06:51 PM
FTDNA Customer

Haplogroup Question

If an autosomal DNA test provides my paternal and maternal haplogroups, then what is the need of a Y-DNA and mtDNA test?
Old 25th November 2014, 08:23 PM
R1a-YP444*, H2a2a1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
If an autosomal DNA test provides my paternal and maternal haplogroups, then what is the need of a Y-DNA and mtDNA test?
Family Finder, FTDNA's autosomal test, does not provide either of your uniparental haplogroups. You would need to order a Y- and an mtDNA-specific test for that.

23andme, however, will provide basic haplogroup information along with your autosomal results for $99, which is still the best deal in the business, in my opinion.
Old 25th November 2014, 08:28 PM
FTDNA Customer

No, the autosomal DNA test, named Family Finder by Family Tree DNA, does not give you Y-DNA or mtDNA haplogroups. The results cover only autosomal chromosomes and the chromosome X.

mtDNA test examines DNA that is located in mitochondria and not in chromosomes.

Y-DNA tests can only be done on males, and the test looks at the DNA in the Y chromosome.

These three topics are covered by short introductions in the Family Tree DNA Learning CenterA male needs all three tests to have a complete picture.

A female does not have the Y chromosome, so in addition to autosomal DNA and mtDNA tests she can have done on her own sample, she needs to ask either her brother or her father for Y-DNA testing to learn about her father Y-DNA.

P.S. As Sarmat has mentioned, some companies test autosomal DNA and, Y-DNA and mtDNA at the same time, so it could be confusing. However, you then often one only gets a haplogroup assignment and not the actual results.

Last edited by dna; 25th November 2014 at 08:33 PM. Reason: +P.S.
Old 25th November 2014, 08:30 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat View Post
23andme, however, will provide basic haplogroup information along with your autosomal results for $99, which is still the best deal in the business, in my opinion.
When you say basic haplogroup information, what does that exactly mean? What will the results lack that a Y-DNA and mtDNA test from FTDNA won't lack? Also, why does 23andme's autosomal test provide haplogroup information and not FTDNA's?

Last edited by Anubis; 25th November 2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 25th November 2014, 08:44 PM
FTDNA Customer

Here is a link to an excellent blog post that should answer your questions.

http://dna-explained.com/2014/03/24/...a-and-23andme/
Old 25th November 2014, 08:45 PM
R1a-YP444*, H2a2a1

Quote:
When you say basic haplogroup information, what does that exactly mean? What will the results lack that a Y-DNA and mtDNA test from FTNA won't lack? Also, why does 23andme's autosomal test provide haplogroup information and not FTDNA's?
For one flat fee, 23andme tests SNPs on your Y (if male) and mtDNA in addition to your X and the remainder of your autosomes.

FTDNA does not test SNPs on the Y or mtDNA as part of the Family Finder autosomal test; they sell these as separate test packages.

When I say that 23andme provides "basic" haplogroup info, I mean that they will tell you which major branch of the tree you are on. For example, 23andme told me I am R1a1a (Y) and H2a2a (mtDNA).

Where FTDNA shines is at digging deeper into the Y and mtDNA. You can fully sequence your mtDNA here (which in my case, took me from 23andme's H2a2a to H2a2a1 here).

FTDNA can also test a series of STR markers on your Y chromosome, which can be used for the purposes of Y chromosome matching, and they also provide the opportunity to test specific SNPs to help further refine your place on the tree. Through individual SNP testing here, I was able to refine my Y haplogroup from 23andme's R1a1a to know that I am R1a-L1029+, a bit further down the tree.

The way I look at it is that 23andme provides the best bang for your buck if you're looking for an introductory test, then once you've gotten your feet wet and know exactly what you're looking for in terms of specific Y- and mtDNA testing, you can come to FTDNA to drill deeper into those lines.

23andme also has a much better set of tools for exploring your DNA.

As far as the autosomal tests go, I found a 2nd cousin once removed at 23andme and several confirmed cousins (3rd cousin being the closest) at Ancestry.com, but I have gotten nothing out Family Finder.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by Sarmat; 25th November 2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 25th November 2014, 08:48 PM
R1a-YP444*, H2a2a1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post
P.S. As Sarmat has mentioned, some companies test autosomal DNA and, Y-DNA and mtDNA at the same time, so it could be confusing. However, you then often one only gets a haplogroup assignment and not the actual results.
FYI - Data for the SNPs tested by 23andme on both the Y and mtDNA are included in the results and can be browsed by SNP or downloaded with the raw data. STR markers are not tested.

Last edited by Sarmat; 25th November 2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 25th November 2014, 08:57 PM
FTDNA Customer

I see. So, FTDNA's Y-DNA and mtDNA tests provide subclade information.
Old 25th November 2014, 09:02 PM
mtDNA: U5a2c3a | Y-DNA: I-Z63

Quote:
When you say basic haplogroup information, what does that exactly mean? What will the results lack that a Y-DNA and mtDNA test from FTDNA won't lack? Also, why does 23andme's autosomal test provide haplogroup information and not FTDNA's?
If you test at FTDNA you can get more detailed testing and join projects that maybe of interest to you. Check out the projects area and see if anything is of interest to you. Value for money

Ok 23&me give you basic haplogroups, but they don't have any usable tools/projects etc. to help you discover anything further on the Y or mt dna lines. 23&me is ok if you just want to pursue at-DNA relatives, you can load it into GEDmatch, but can't transfer to FTDNA, so Ancestry.com maybe better deal than 23&me as you can upload to both FTDNA and GEDmatch.
Old 25th November 2014, 09:07 PM
R1a-YP444*, H2a2a1

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahcom View Post
23&me is ok if you just want to pursue at-DNA relatives, you can load it into GEDmatch, but can't transfer to FTDNA, so Ancestry.com maybe better deal than 23&me as you can upload to both FTDNA and GEDmatch.
Not so. FTDNA has taken 23andme transfers for years. I did it in 2012.

In fact they recently started taking 23andme transfers for free, which gives access to see a limited set of info about one's top 20 matches in Family Finder.

The full set of Family Finder results can then be unlocked for $39 or by referring 4 other transfers.