Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Geographic Project Forums > British Isles DNA Project

Old 22nd April 2014, 03:49 PM
FTDNA Customer

Andrews DNA British Isles

Is there any way to see DNA results for the UK? I am hoping to find Andrews line that matches mine.
Old 22nd April 2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrews58 View Post
Is there any way to see DNA results for the UK? I am hoping to find Andrews line that matches mine.
Look in ysearch.org. I think Andrews is Scottish.
Old 22nd April 2014, 05:07 PM
FTDNA Customer

It may be worthwhile joining the British Isles project.
Old 23rd April 2014, 01:28 PM
FTDNA Customer

Andrews in BI project

Hello,
You can find colourized results for the Y-DNA half of the project here
<https://www.familytreedna.com/public/BritishIsles/default.aspx?vgroup=BritishIsles&vgroup=BritishIsl es&section=ycolorized>

Note that there are only a couple of Andrews in the project, both subgrouped by haplogroup. Members who do not provide a direct paternal or maternal line ancestor in the British Isles (name, date, place) are subgrouped by haplogroup rather than county.
The project website at www.britishislesdna.com provides guidelines and resources for family history research in general. The Member Guidelines page explains how to make use of your results to find genetic cousins, with sections on the Y-DNA, mtDNA and Family Finder tests. I encourage you to consult it.
Cheers,
Roy
Old 25th April 2014, 12:52 PM
FTDNA Customer

British/Andrews DNA project

Roy thank you for the info, however I am unable to get to the British Isles DNA project. I do not see it listed as a project at all.
I am very keen on getting to an Andrews (British version) or British DNA project as are a number of other Andrews cousins I have as well.
Most of us are English Descent and have hit a wall so to speak trying to find the line we are related to in England.
Old 25th April 2014, 01:10 PM
FTDNA Customer

Andrews British Isles DNA

Glad to be of assistance. If you wish to join the projecct, you will find it listed under the letter B as a dual geographic project (dual meaning both Y-Dna and mtDNA)).
The Y-DNA results page can be found here:<https://www.familytreedna.com/public/BritishIsles/default.aspx?section=ycolorized>
and you can access the mtDNA results here : <https://www.familytreedna.com/public/BritishIsles/default.aspx?section=mtresults>

The project off-site page can be found at <britishislesdna.com>. I suggest that you make use of the resources there to aid you in your paper research, and encourage you to read through the member guidelines for ideas on exploring the potential of your DNA results. Of course if you have questions please feel free to contact me.
Cheers,
Roy
Old 12th November 2014, 10:15 AM
FTDNA Customer

Try the Andrews/Andrew project at FTDNA:
https://www.familytreedna.com/public/ANDREWS/

Surnames: Anders, Andress, Andrew, Andrewes, Andrews, Andros, Androuse, Andrus, Andruss

Background:
Welcome to the ANDREWS Surname DNA Project. The purpose of this project is to determine possible relationships between the various Andrews lines around the world. By using a simple DNA test we hope to find out which Andrews have a common ancestor. This test may also help place an Andrews of "unknown" ancestry into one of the Andrews lines. For more information, click the Goals tab above.

Originally, the Andrews name was taken in honor of Saint Andrew, the first of the twelve apostles of Christ. Grammatically, the name derives from the Greek word 'andreios' meaning "manly, courageous". Since Andrew the Apostle was a very popular saint in medieval Britain, there are many unrelated families that today bear the surname Andrews. To date, the Andrews DNA Project has successfully identified 23 genetic families, each of whom use the Andrews surname, though they are not related to each other. Instances of Andrews and its variants as a last name can be traced to the time of King Henry III, around 1237 AD. Early spellings include Andreu, Andree, Andrewes, Andros, and Andrus. Over the centuries the Andrews descendants have multiplied and moved away from the British Isles to the distant lands of North America, Australia, and beyond.

Most of the known Andrews lines in English-speaking countries originated in Great Britain. For the most part, the Andrews genealogy has often been well researched but lacks a final connection back to their ancestors in England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland. The Andrews DNA Project is keenly interested in seeking DNA project participants with an established Andrews male lineage from the British Isles. If you believe you are a potential DNA donor or know of one - please contact the project administrator.

Administrators:
•sautoir@yahoo.com , Group Administrator
•dwisewirth@aol.com , Group Administrator

Good luck!