Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Geographic Project Forums > African DNA Project

Old 2nd October 2006, 08:38 PM

There are many programs you can use for your mtDNA and Y-DNA. To use Omnipop, you use your CODIS markers.

http://www.cstl.nist.gov/div831/strbase/fbicore.htm

You get your CODIS markers from your DNATribes results. First put in all of your markers and record the top 30 populations. They are the lowest non-zero numbers. Then test each allele for each Locus. Each allele comes from either your mother or your father. For each locus, one will come from your mother and one will come from your father. The US data was basically for police work. And race is separated into several groups. For example, they do not look at Afro-American or Asian American as an admixture. All Afro-Americans are not from a recent African Diaspora. Each allele will give a result. If both alleles for a locus are the same, then the results you get for the pair will be the same as the results for the single allele. Remember that you are obtaining population data when you do this. It is not your data. Some allele values are constant for a population while others represent a migration from point A to Point B or a wandering. While others might be random . . . As you might have read in the paper, the CODIS was carefully chosen to represent population data which could be used to identify individuals just like AMEL will tell if the person is a male, XY or a female, XX. The total CODIS profile is typical of a population also.

example. Father AB Mother CD
Child AC or AD or BC or BD

Just think why there is a 50% of boy or girl
XY XX

XX
XX
YX
YX

There are 13 CODIS autosomes and different populations mix just like boy and girl
Old 2nd October 2006, 09:40 PM

Pretty darn good explanation, Greg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregKiroKH
There are many programs you can use for your mtDNA and Y-DNA. To use Omnipop, you use your CODIS markers.

http://www.cstl.nist.gov/div831/strbase/fbicore.htm

You get your CODIS markers from your DNATribes results. First put in all of your markers and record the top 30 populations. They are the lowest non-zero numbers. Then test each allele for each Locus. Each allele comes from either your mother or your father. For each locus, one will come from your mother and one will come from your father. The US data was basically for police work. And race is separated into several groups. For example, they do not look at Afro-American or Asian American as an admixture. All Afro-Americans are not from a recent African Diaspora. Each allele will give a result. If both alleles for a locus are the same, then the results you get for the pair will be the same as the results for the single allele. Remember that you are obtaining population data when you do this. It is not your data. Some allele values are constant for a population while others represent a migration from point A to Point B or a wandering. While others might be random . . . As you might have read in the paper, the CODIS was carefully chosen to represent population data which could be used to identify individuals just like AMEL will tell if the person is a male, XY or a female, XX. The total CODIS profile is typical of a population also.

example. Father AB Mother CD
Child AC or AD or BC or BD

Just think why there is a 50% of boy or girl
XY XX

XX
XX
YX
YX

There are 13 CODIS autosomes and different populations mix just like boy and girl
Old 3rd October 2006, 02:14 PM

Thanks, Ana . . .
Old 25th August 2008, 10:38 AM

Deep Clade E Test

Dear Dra. Ana and Greg,
I received an email indicating there is a Deep Clade E test now available which I ordered this weekend. IHopefully, a sub-clade will be discovered. I will let you know when the results are available. Hope all is well with everyone in the group. We out here in California survived last year's fires and we replaced our avocado grove with a vineyard. Our vines are growing very rapidly. Our fingers are crossed for a successful crop.
Denise
Old 31st August 2008, 05:56 PM

That is interesting Denise . . . not only has some interesting research been done with hg E, there has been some exciting results for mt hg A. So, I ordered my father's full mtDNA to be done. It is mt hg A so far without the 16111 mutatation for the HVR-I region. One match so far is A2a. His family is from Virgina. I cannot wait to find out the results. I am still a little puzzled about my mt-DNA full scan I did two years ago. We now know all the mutations happen in some other mt DNA. Neverthelesss, no exact matches yet. I did my deep Y-DNA test, and it came back, R-U106. Well, My grandfather's name was Egbert Adolph Haynes which matches his DNA. There is still a lot more work which needs to be done, and another sub-clade to be founded.

I hope the crops come out ok for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkedenise
Dear Dra. Ana and Greg,
I received an email indicating there is a Deep Clade E test now available which I ordered this weekend. IHopefully, a sub-clade will be discovered. I will let you know when the results are available. Hope all is well with everyone in the group. We out here in California survived last year's fires and we replaced our avocado grove with a vineyard. Our vines are growing very rapidly. Our fingers are crossed for a successful crop.
Denise