Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Advanced Topics

Family Finder Advanced Topics Advanced discussion about Family Tree DNA's Family Finder Product.

Old 27th July 2017, 06:09 PM
FTDNA Customer

Shared matches on maternal and paternal sides

I found my 3rd cousin, Jo, through an Ancestry DNA match, it was very quick and simple to find our connection through Jo's mother and my father sharing the same great grand parents.

Everything then got a bit complicated when we realised that Jo's father also matches me on my paternal side according to my GEDmatch phased kit.

Everything got even further complicated when I looked at my mother's DNA matches and found that she also has matches with Jo, jo's daughter, Jo's mother and Jo's mothers sister.

I don't have GEDmatch data for this one, but ancestry also says that MY father and Jo's Mother's known 1st cousin, also matches with Jo's father, and his sister, aswell as all the obvious matches on Jo's maternal side.

Jo's parents have no match to each other. I havn't got my Fathers DNA results yet, but the GEDmatch 'are your parents related?' feature, says mine are not a match either.

If anyone is still with me, thank you! I'm going to try an attach a picture of matched segments. Green is my mums DNA Blue is my Paternal DNA from GEDmatch phasing.

If anyone has any better knowledge than me about what could be going on or any significance of the specific matchhing segments I'd be grateful for any input!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture1.JPG (148.6 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Joats83; 27th July 2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 29th July 2017, 12:22 AM
FTDNA Customer

Where did the involved families live 2, 3, 4 generations ago?

Is there known endogamy by religion or locale?

You have to know how to determine Identical By Descent and Identical By Population.

Read this:

https://dna-explained.com/2016/03/10...on-and-chance/