Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Group Administrators Forums > Group Administrators - Advanced Chat

Group Administrators - Advanced Chat Discussion forum for Project Group Administrators. Exchange experiences, ideas and interpretation of results.

Old 19th April 2003, 12:38 AM

Red face Uploading Charts

I guess I will be known for the most stupid Question, anyway after looking at everyones websites and charts, How do you get the charts uploaded and what progam do you use? I have tried wordperfect 9 and they get all messed up when I do most any file.
I bought Dreamweaver 3 last year and then got a account with Homestead and abandoned Dreamweaver . Homestead however doesnt have any charts or tables that I can find.
Since I don't seem to have any participants other than immediate family this hasn't been a big problem, but in time I hope to have a need for a nice chart of some kind and would like to be prepared!
Any and all help Greatly Apprec.

PS. I am willing to buy a progam if it makes life easier!
John you had an expecially nice website, what progam do you use?
Thanks! Nancy
Old 19th April 2003, 01:46 AM
FTDNA Customer

Hi Nancy,

I use FrontPage 2000 for all my websites. To take full advantage of all its features your hosting service needs to support the FP2000 extensions. My results are in a table and the Genetic Distance Analysis are actually jpeg images of a spreadsheet I use. The Pedigree diagrams are also jpeg images of spreadsheets.

The good thing about using FP2000 is you do all your updates right on the server.

John
Old 19th April 2003, 04:48 AM

Hi Nancy,

I use DIY (Do It Yourself) Webkit. It is so easy and simple (has to be for me) and the support is good if you need help. If your interested you can go to my websit and click on their logo at the bottom of the homepage. The program is priced competively and a small fee for hosting services. I certainly couldn't have done what I have with the website without DIY help. They have several formats to choose from.

cheers,
jrh
Old 19th April 2003, 06:22 AM
FTDNA Customer

I use Netscape 6 for text and the Y-DNA table is created by
saving an Excel table in HTML format and cutting and pasting it
into the proper place using the "HTML view" in Netscape.
I am not 100% happy with the control I have of the width of columns
But it was easy to learn (about 30 minutes total) and it gave most what I wanted.
I am going for basic info and have no art abilities to speak of.
I envy some of the designs I see.
Old 19th April 2003, 10:24 AM

Thanks everyone for your quick replies.
I will check these out and hopefully something will work for me.
I don't really want to change web host at the moment but I could possibly link with a index page if needed.
Thanks Again
Nancy
Old 23rd April 2003, 02:01 PM
Hadley

Uploading Charts

How do you cut/paste the charts from FTDNA to XLS or Word? When I cut/past, everything gets plopped into one cell or as a long list down the side of the page. I can code HTML pages in my sleep but I'd rather not manually type all the numbers. What am I missing in the cut/past process?
Old 24th April 2003, 10:51 AM

To copy FTDNA charts to Excel, first make sure you have as many blank spaces available in your excel file area as you have in the FTDNA chart. This is to avoid overwriting. If the chart is 12 across and 6 down, you need that much available space. Then highlight the FTDNA chart, cut (control C), bring up your excel page, place your cursor in the square where you want the first square of the chart to be (for example A1) and paste (control V).
The chart should copy into the correct number of squares across and down. Then just adjust the sizes of the squares to hold the data, on the bar at the top. This works for me.
Old 2nd May 2003, 12:30 AM
FTDNA Customer

Hi Nancy,

You mentioned Dreamweaver 3. Well I was on to my son to do the hard work of making a website for the DNA Project. But he didn't. Instead I got given Dreamweaver 4 for Dummies for Christmas. I have only read the first four chapters to make my site and it has been a breeze. If you want to update go to www.macromedia.com and download Macromedia MX. Just click on the Dreamweaver 4 pattern when you start using it, as it is a wee bit easier than the MX pattern. As for uploading the charts Dreamweaver does it all for you, albeit with the help of Number Three son showing me where to click on the properties chart. One hazard with Dreamweaver though is after thirty days it expires and you really need to buy it. You can see my site at http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~dnapower . Just click on the shield.

Hooray.

Last edited by Mokurai; 2nd May 2003 at 12:34 AM.
Old 26th May 2006, 07:14 PM
golom

could you please help me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hull
Hi Nancy,

I use DIY (Do It Yourself) Webkit. It is so easy and simple (has to be for me) and the support is good if you need help. If your interested you can go to my websit and click on their logo at the bottom of the homepage. The program is priced competively and a small fee for hosting services. I certainly couldn't have done what I have with the website without DIY help. They have several formats to choose from.

cheers,
jrh
I am new to diy webkit and was wondering if you could tell me how i can link a blank page to a design that i have fone with a Template! as it does not let me save it in the same file. Also How would i go about linking a page so that when i add a item to one page. the another page is altamaticly updated with what i put i=on the other page?

Also how do i add a button to a template that does not have one

Any hekp you can give me would be greatfuly apreciated

Last edited by golom; 26th May 2006 at 07:25 PM.
Old 26th May 2006, 07:54 PM
FTDNA Customer

Question

I use Coffee cup HTML editor, and I have my DNA results chart in Excel. I don't know how to go from Excel to my html editor. Do I make a chart with the right number of cells across and down and cut and paste (this doesn't seem to work), or can a spread sheet from Excell be converted somehow?

I know...really dumb questions...

Thanks a bunch,