Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 4th February 2014, 10:07 AM
FTDNA Customer

Admixture compares one's dna to other populations to determine your ancestry. Generally it appears that these results show a broad range of ethnic origins for most people as it does for me. If someone was comparing their dna to mine as a reference for Ukrainian for example, as my paternal ancestry is Ukrainian, how can they trust these results since Ukrainians like any other ethnic group can have a very wide range of ancestries. I'm finding Polish, Hungarian, Slovakian, Finnish, Scandinavian (my ydna is Viking), Lithuanian, Siberian, Jewish, Romanian, Armenian, Turkish, and various ethnic groups from the Caucasus, etc. in the admixture and other tests of my dna.
What confuses me then is that if the reference populations are so genetically mixed how can one possibly say that you're dna is, for example,10% of any ethnic group if that ethnic group is also so genetically mixed that the comparison becomes invalid?
Old 18th September 2015, 05:47 PM
FTDNA Customer
This is an excellent question. I have no answer, but it's an excellent question!