• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • noman
    FTDNA Customer
    • May 2017

Origin of R-L266?

Hey,

I did DNA testing with 23andme and found out that my Y-DNA is R-L266 and mtDNA is U7.

I know that U7 originated somewhere near Black Sea.

What is the origin off R-L266 Haplogroup?
  • KATM
    mtDNA: K1a3 / YDNA: R-FGC46377
    • Nov 2012

Just doing a quick search using the ISOGG 2017 "Y-DNA Haplogroup R and its Subclades" list, it shows R-L266 listed at the root of the main R2 branch (R2 - M479/PF6107, L266/PF6108, L722, L726). You can use your browser's "Find" function to search for "L266" to get to it quickly. Wikipedia has a bit of information on R2 and its subclades, but not much.

Since "R-L266" is at the same level as M479, and further down on the ISOGG page it says that M479 "is most often observed in Asia, especially on the Indian sub-continent and in central Asia," that is likely describing the ancient origin, if that is what you want.

But, doing a search of these FTDNA forums for "L266," there is an interesting post at http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...highlight=L266. The main project page says "This SNP defines the Irish Type III haplogroup and the project is open to all men who test derived (positive) for the L226 SNP."

If you have also tested at FTDNA, not just 23andMe, you might like to join either or both of these projects:
    Since R2 is a main branch of the R haplogroup, you would need to do further SNP testing to get a more refined haplogroup and possible origin, and for that a project administrator may be able to help you.
    Last edited by KATM; 11 June 2017, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X