Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > mtDNA Haplogroup Project Forums > mtDNA Haplogroup 'V' Forum

Old 11th November 2006, 08:16 PM

Woo Hoo! I'm cooking now! Just fell upon a boat load of new info regarding my maternal ancestors. Sarah Ann Dancy was born Sept 1838 in Cuckfield, Sussex, England to Abraham Dancy and Mildred Miles. Mildred Miles was born 03 March 1805 in Cuckfield, Sussex, England to Levi Miles and Mary Istead. Mary Istead was born 1765 in East Grinstead, Sussex, England to Henry Istead and Hannah Hasselden. That's all for now, but I'll let everyone know once I receive more.
Old 23rd April 2007, 04:44 PM

Adopted V

Hi,

I'm writing in for my brother-in-law who's mtDNA haplogroup is V. He was born 1931 in Niagara Co, NY, adopted in 1935, and raised African American in Buffalo, NY. His name on his original birth certificate was Thomas Weiss.

His mother told him that his biomom was born in England and was sent to the US to give birth so she could not be traced because his biological father was African.

ABDNA results were 66% European, 33%, 1% Asian.
Y-DNA haplogroup is J1.

This probably indicates that his biodad was mixed African (maternal) & European (paternal).

Anyone with any family lore matching this story?

TIA,
Old 24th April 2007, 07:57 PM

Hello Sonia,

The Weiss surname is of Jewish origin and the J1 Y-Haplotype contains the Cohen Modal. Sure he's not Jewish?
Old 10th January 2008, 01:51 PM
mdawilkes

Red face Earliest Known Ancestor

My earliest known (at this time) ancestor is Katherine Banks b. 1627 Canterbury, Kent Co., England, d. December 01, 1686 Presque Isle, Henrico Co., VA, who m/ before 1642 in Henrico Co., VA Joseph Royall b. 1602 London, England, d. London, England Doghams, Charles City, VA.
Katherine's father was Christopher Banks b. 1603 Canterbury, Kent Co., or Northamptonshire, England. One source states that Katherine's mother is Alice Foxe b. England, but I haven't proven or disproven this yet.
Old 11th January 2008, 04:43 PM
mdawilkes

My earliest known (at this time) ancestor is Katherine Banks b. 1627 Canterbury, Kent Co., England, d. December 01, 1686 Presque Isle, Henrico Co., VA, who m/ before 1642 in Henrico Co., VA Joseph Royall b. 1602 London, England, d. London, England Doghams, Charles City, VA.
Katherine's father was Christopher Banks b. 1603 Canterbury, Kent Co., or Northamptonshire, England. Some sources states that Katherine's mother was Janet of Kent b. 1607 England. Christopher Bank's father is reportedly Christopher Banks, Sr. and his wife Alice Foxe both of the London, England area. I haven't proven or disproven this yet.
Old 1st August 2015, 09:51 PM
FTDNA Customer

Dorothy Collyer - daughter of Richard Collyer. Born something during the early 1500s, before 1530 when her father died. Richard Collyer himself did well on his family bloodline - which is old[some say existed before the Norman Invasion even] - and was a rather successful adventurer and merchant. The College of Richard Collyer was named after / created through honoring his will.

It annoys my grans something fierce when people try spelling her name as the far more common, or as she says the "average" [in a tone that says average is the nicest thing she's thinking for such a mistake - sort of legit concept, the Collyers have being land holders for a long time they were some of the original settlers to a range of UK towns], Collier than the proper Collyer.
Old 1st August 2015, 11:36 PM
FTDNA Customer

I'd be curious who has the earliest known maternal ancestor with DNA evidence to support the relationship.
Old 2nd August 2015, 08:14 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgian1950 View Post
I'd be curious who has the earliest known maternal ancestor with DNA evidence to support the relationship.
I probably do. I am waiting for confirmation - hence why I didn't include it - of a Mary born in the 1300s. I was able to track whom I believe to be her descendent and am waiting to see if the results are close enough to claim relation.

From a paternal material bloodline I can go all the way back to 11th century by name & DNA.

Last edited by James78; 2nd August 2015 at 08:16 AM.