Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Features Requests & Bug Reports Area

Features Requests & Bug Reports Area This forum is for customers to talk about features they would like to see. It may also be used to report potential website issues and account bugs, though you may get faster service by sending those through the Open a Request feature found in the Customer Service link at the top of the forum page.

Old 30th October 2015, 05:10 PM
FTDNA Customer

Feature Request

Would it be possible to have an option for the "family tree" to display in "pedigree" format where the primary person is on the left and their ancestors to the right in succession?

Perhaps I am alone, but I find it extremely difficult to find common ancestors when viewing trees on FTDNA as they are displayed currently. Most of the time I just hope the individual has an account on Ancestry, so I can view their tree there.
Old 30th October 2015, 11:17 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

Some of us have been wanting this feature ever since they introduced the impossible new trees. I always switch to the pedigree view immediately when I view trees at Ancestry.

A lot of us asked for it. Our request was ignored. I was never sure the developers had any idea what pedigree view meant.
Old 31st October 2015, 10:51 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
Some of us have been wanting this feature ever since they introduced the impossible new trees. I always switch to the pedigree view immediately when I view trees at Ancestry.

A lot of us asked for it. Our request was ignored. I was never sure the developers had any idea what pedigree view meant.
Well, that is very disappointing. It is frustrating to me to view FTDNA "trees" when they stretch out from left to right, especially in the "ancestry view" option. Why are siblings included in the "ancestry view"? Ancestors, to me, are direct line relatives.

I agree with you on Ancestry. I always use the Pedigree format there, too.

Thanks for responding.
Old 31st October 2015, 02:07 PM
FTDNA Customer

There was a huge discussion about the need for a left-to-right pedigree charge when the format was "improved". I am still waiting for FTDNA to discover that they need to "improve" the pedigree chart again by taking us back to something that actually works. The current "improvement" is by far the worst attempt at a pedigree chart that I have ever seen, and I've been a serious genealogist for about 50 years.
Old 31st October 2015, 04:31 PM
FTDNA Customer

I agree. The pedigree view is the quickest and most efficient way to view a tree. When on Ancestry I switch immediately to any tree I am viewing. I save a lot of public trees on Ancestry to a folder "Family Trees" and I save them in the 'pedigree view'.
Old 31st October 2015, 05:46 PM
FTDNA Customer

I doubt improvements in the family trees are even on their radar with all the other problems they've been having this year (server problems/upgrades). Plus the person that developed the current tree no longer works at FTDNA.

I would like to see a pedigree view also (left to right), the developers are not genealogists so I don't think they understand what we want. In the meantime you can use the Chrome extension DNArboretum that you might find useful for viewing the names in the trees. I think some people have difficulty getting it to work but you can try it, it works for me.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...kfliochkojkaej
Old 1st November 2015, 04:13 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattn View Post
I doubt improvements in the family trees are even on their radar with all the other problems they've been having this year (server problems/upgrades). Plus the person that developed the current tree no longer works at FTDNA.

I would like to see a pedigree view also (left to right), the developers are not genealogists so I don't think they understand what we want. In the meantime you can use the Chrome extension DNArboretum that you might find useful for viewing the names in the trees. I think some people have difficulty getting it to work but you can try it, it works for me.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...kfliochkojkaej
Thanks for suggesting DNArboretum. I downloaded Chrome, then added the extension. It is not in tree format, but rather Ahnentafel, with which I can work. It also has an option to highlight the possible X chromosome contributors of the ancestors shown in the match's ahnentafel. I like it, and considering a pedigree format at FTDNA appears to not be on the drawing board, this is a workable alternative.