• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goldschlager
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jul 2013

Explanation for Change in My Origin

In the "old" version I had 87% Ashkenazi, 6% Eastern Europe and 7% Asia Minor.
    New one went to 97% AJ and only traces. No EE or AM. Anyone could explain?
    Thanks
    G
  • georgian1950
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jun 2012

The truth probably lies in the middle.

Jack

Comment

• lab
      FTDNA Customer
      • Aug 2016

FTDNA supposedly obtained samples from new reference populations and added in more samples from previous populations to their database for the update. They may have updated their algorithm too, which is the reason for the change in results. There are some points of contention in the forums as to whether the new results are more/ less accurate though so take it with a grain of salt

Comment

• JerryS.
        FTDNA Customer
        • Feb 2017

i went from 56% British to 4% British! trace Jeremiah Shrewsbury/Solisbury from the mid 1700s in England to today.... you won't find him being diluted that much.

Comment

• khazaria
          FTDNA Customer
          • May 2014

Originally posted by goldschlager View Post
          In the "old" version I had 87% Ashkenazi, 6% Eastern Europe and 7% Asia Minor.
          New one went to 97% AJ and only traces. No EE or AM. Anyone could explain?
          The number of Ashkenazi reference samples may have expanded, therefore identifying more such DNA as Ashkenazi than before.

My explanation is your Eastern Europe ancestry must be medieval, and your Asia Minor ancestry must be ancient (in MyOrigins 1.0 Asia Minor was based exclusively on Armenian samples) - rather than recent.

Since you and I have had previous contact, I know your GEDmatch kit number and compared your MyOrigins estimates with your other estimates to answer your question. If you look in Eurogenes K36 you show 7.12% Armenian affinity, and if you look in Eurogenes EUtest you show 3.89% South Baltic and 5.33% East Europe for a total of 9.22%, although almost all of that is getting assigned by Eurogenes K36 into the Central Euro category (6.17%) rather than East Central Euro (0.13%) and Eastern Euro (0.1%), but you do have 1.53% Volga-Ural affinity in K36. Your Slavic ancestry is overall low. I am not surprised you aren't showing a separate East Europe element in MyOrigins 2.0.

Comment

• JerryS.
            FTDNA Customer
            • Feb 2017

Originally posted by khazaria View Post
            The number of Ashkenazi reference samples may have expanded, therefore identifying more such DNA as Ashkenazi than before.

My explanation is your Eastern Europe ancestry must be medieval, and your Asia Minor ancestry must be ancient (in MyOrigins 1.0 Asia Minor was based exclusively on Armenian samples) - rather than recent.
            Since you and I have had previous contact, I know your GEDmatch kit number and compared your MyOrigins estimates with your other estimates to answer your question. If you look in Eurogenes K36 you show 7.12% Armenian affinity, and if you look in Eurogenes EUtest you show 3.89% South Baltic and 5.33% East Europe for a total of 9.22%, although almost all of that is getting assigned by Eurogenes K36 into the Central Euro category (6.17%) rather than East Central Euro (0.13%) and Eastern Euro (0.1%), but you do have 1.53% Volga-Ural affinity in K36. Your Slavic ancestry is overall low. I am not surprised you aren't showing a separate East Europe element in MyOrigins 2.0.
            how exactly did you or anyone determine a certain ethnicity is ancient (2,000 years ago?) and not recent (200 years ago?).

Comment

• khazaria
              FTDNA Customer
              • May 2014

Originally posted by JerryS. View Post
              how exactly did you or anyone determine a certain ethnicity is ancient (2,000 years ago?) and not recent (200 years ago?).
              We know from scientific studies on autosomal admixtures in Ashkenazim using full genomes that most of the Eastern European DNA came in between about 20-30 generations ago, from the early days of documented Jewish settlement in Poland and Rus' in the 1100s-1400s, and that the Northern Middle East comes from ancient infusions into the Israelite people.

Most recently, see:
              Xue, James, Todd Lencz, et al. “The Time and Place of European Admixture in Ashkenazi Jewish History.” PLoS Genetics 13, no. 4 (April 4, 2017): e1006644.

Comment

• goldschlager
                FTDNA Customer
                • Jul 2013

Armenian BigY Matches

Khazaria -- I belong to a small cluster of Ashkenazi - possibly Sephardic clade R1b -FGC14600 which appears to have moved from Italy to Amsterdam, then Rhineland and eventually Eastern Europe - Moldavia. The BigY shows a quite high percentage of Armenians, and also others from same AM neighborhood besides my AJ matches (actually more people in this AM group but clearly from an earlier period). I was under the impression that my AM percentage in the MyOrigin may have had something to do with that even though it is not clear how much could have been preserved in the autosomal DNA. I see some of my first cousins I tested have also changed. For example one of my paternal side (female) went from 90 AJ+ 10 SE to 95 AJ + 5 SE and one from my maternal side (female) from 80 AJ+15SE + 5AM to 91 AJ + 6 SE. So again, the AM got lost, AJ increased and SE survived.
                I was wondering about the time frame of my Origin also with respect to the Xue paper.
                Thanks
                G

Comment

• JerryS.
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Feb 2017

Originally posted by khazaria View Post
                  We know from scientific studies on autosomal admixtures in Ashkenazim using full genomes that most of the Eastern European DNA came in between about 20-30 generations ago, from the early days of documented Jewish settlement in Poland and Rus' in the 1100s-1400s, and that the Northern Middle East comes from ancient infusions into the Israelite people.

Most recently, see:
                  Xue, James, Todd Lencz, et al. “The Time and Place of European Admixture in Ashkenazi Jewish History.” PLoS Genetics 13, no. 4 (April 4, 2017): e1006644.

well, I guess you've done your homework. how can one tell if the jewish genome is from a recent 100 years ago transplant or not? can you look at these kit numbers: A526018 and A779512 and tell me where the relation came from between the two, i.e. father side to father side, mother's side of ABC to father's side of XYZ...or what?
                  Last edited by JerryS.; 12 May 2017, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X