• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • royfarnol
    mtDNA: none | Y-DNA: R-L448+CTS4279-
    • Mar 2010

Viking?

It appears that my paternal line is more than likely to be originally amongst those Norwegian Vikings who were uninvited guests in Ireland until they were after some time ejected.
    Also it seems very likely that I am related to a particular group most of whom actually returned to Norway and stayed put although my ancestor did not do so.
    After Ireland there are several choices of habitat for my line and it is my task via DNA to find out which one. Going by a few albeit so far tenuous clues I fancy the following places in favoured order:- Cumbria, Shetland, Orkney, Man.
    My traceable documentary paternal line is flaky but even so the county of Yorkshire predominates greatly. Before then is the question! I'm hoping the DNA will come up trumps.
    My closest Y match at present is at 67/6 in the name of Bell which, naturally, is extremely common and widespread just to make the job more difficult. But it could have been Smith!
    To add a nice little complication the earliest known ancestor of the aforementioned Bell flourished in Wensleydale, Yorkshire which is next door to Swaledale - where my maternal line flourished - and were also called Bell. Does this imply a clanger or two?
    As Joe Gargery puts it, "What larks!"
    Festive greetings to one and all.
  • S9 H9
    FTDNA Customer
    • Nov 2013

It's important to keep in mind that "Viking" is in the vernacular a term for a group of people hailing from Scandinavia after the Great Migration period up until the Norman invasion of England.

If you're going by Y-haplogroups remember that these are still pretty old compared to historical recordings of the events of the Viking era.

My genealogy includes a path (11 generations) for my Y chromosome back to the 1500's in Norway and while those ancestors' own ancestors most certainly (based on the rest of the genealogy and my autosomal test) were Scandinavian and among the Vikings, my Y-haplogroup (M223+) is in a small minority among Norwegians and more commonly found in Germany or Denmark (and apparently, in that northern Sweden region around the town of Umea, but it is know that Germanic settlers moved up the coast of Sweden to found that area), as well as being spread out generally around Northern Europe.

Remember that the Y chromosome has been on its own journey for an amazingly long time, barely interacting with the X chromosome in which ever cell it has found itself.

This is where using the autosomal DNA can help shed insight to how well your Y haplogroup has been connected to your other ancestors (which greatly outnumber the carriers of your Y chromosome.)

Eventually, as efforts such as the Big Y progress, highly detailed Y haplogroups will be able to be constructed, that will give us more insight into where our Y chromosomes have been, closer to us in time, during the past couple of millennia.

Comment

• Tyler89
      FTDNA Customer
      • Nov 2013

Viking means sea raider. would be best to use the term Norse which refers to the scandinavian culture as a whole whether if its a farmer in sweden or viking in lithuania during there time.

The first ancestrydna test i took it told me about 80% of my autosomal dna was scandinavian. And then they updated and it went from being 80% scandinavian to 80% british isles...

At first I thought it was bull**** but then i was thinking that maybe the vikings settled in great britain and the updated test was just more recent ancestor. Nevertheless I have no answers to my questions yet.

My ftdna data shows that the 12 marker was Welsh and the 25 marker was Germany. German and Viking/norse culture were very similar and they even had the same pantheon of gods, as i am a heathen adherent to Asatru.

What i am trying to find out is what happened when the ancestrydna test went from 80% scandinavian to 80% great britain... ??

Also i posted a new thread on 12 marker vs 25 marker in the YDNA section wondering if i was more welsh or more german from the results of each test and the genetic distances... I am still a newb when it comes to understanding this stuff and i have been looking at it for about a year now.

Comment

• S9 H9
        FTDNA Customer
        • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Tyler89 View Post
        The first ancestrydna test i took it told me about 80% of my autosomal dna was scandinavian. And then they updated and it went from being 80% scandinavian to 80% british isles...
        The original AncestryDNA assignments of ancestry from their autosomal test were notorious for grossly over-assigning Scandinavian ancestry.

Comment

• Tyler89
          FTDNA Customer
          • Nov 2013

Originally posted by S9 H9 View Post
          The original AncestryDNA assignments of ancestry from their autosomal test were notorious for grossly over-assigning Scandinavian ancestry.
          Yes I know, I began to really get into the scandinavian/norse culture and religion and got tattoos. although my paper trail work from ancestry.com has proved that i have a lot of recent german ancestors on my dads side some on my moms side but on my moms side i was able to go as far back as the 5th century to the king of Ida of Bernicia. It is said that the god Balder started that line and he is the son of Woden.

Comment

• EastAnglian
            MtDNA: U3a | Big Y Pending
            • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Tyler89 View Post
            Viking means sea raider. would be best to use the term Norse which refers to the scandinavian culture as a whole whether if its a farmer in sweden or viking in lithuania during there time.

At first I thought it was bull**** but then i was thinking that maybe the vikings settled in great britain and the updated test was just more recent ancestor. Nevertheless I have no answers to my questions yet.

My ftdna data shows that the 12 marker was Welsh and the 25 marker was Germany. German and Viking/norse culture were very similar and they even had the same pantheon of gods, as i am a heathen adherent to Asatru.

What i am trying to find out is what happened when the ancestrydna test went from 80% scandinavian to 80% great britain... ??

Also i posted a new thread on 12 marker vs 25 marker in the YDNA section wondering if i was more welsh or more german from the results of each test and the genetic distances... I am still a newb when it comes to understanding this stuff and i have been looking at it for about a year now.
            I did the Family Finder test at Family Tree DNA, I then uploaded my DNA data to Gedmatch.com , they have some interesting admixture tools that point to population references. I'm East Anglian so on an autosomal level very Scandinavian, unsurprisingly on there my results point towards Sweden, Norway and Denmark.

Perhaps you should give that site a try

Comment

• DWFlineage
              FTDNA Customer
              • Feb 2014

Z372+

So far, my terminal snp is Z372+,which is Scandanavian/Vikinish dna. Z372+ is downstream of Z14+, which is downstream of Z18+, which is downstream of U106+.

I am hoping that the Big Y testing will reveal other downstream snps of Z372+. I already have tested L257-.

Best Regards, Douglas W. Fisher, Kit#122883

Comment

• gman35
                FTDNA Customer
                • Dec 2014

ancestory.com dna test

I did the ancestory.com dna test.. downloaded the results and haven't been able to make much sense of it.. other than look at their site and see where my roots are, can any of ya'll help me, or point me to the right direction.. thanks, gary

Comment

• DWFlineage
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Feb 2014

Gedmatch

Originally posted by gman35 View Post
                  I did the ancestory.com dna test.. downloaded the results and haven't been able to make much sense of it.. other than look at their site and see where my roots are, can any of ya'll help me, or point me to the right direction.. thanks, gary
                  Since you tested with Ancestry, I would upload your raw data to Gedmatch, that way you can match up to others like myself who have tested with FTDNA or 23andMe.

Best regards, Douglas W. Fisher(adopted name)

Kit#122883

Comment

Working...
                  X