Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 18th May 2005, 02:04 AM
obtoo

Stupid Question

Hi I'm getting ready to order the mtDNAPlus and I don't understand one of the questions. Under where it asks for my name it says:
Family Surname
(if different)
Does this refer to a woman's maiden name or does it have something to do with genealogy? It says I can request more names by e-mail. For what? What are they talking about here? Looking forward to your replies.

obtoo
Old 18th May 2005, 09:59 AM

i just sampled ordered and after i hit continue it asked for email adress and at least last name thos are simply for ordering corectly. if i get what your talking about
Old 18th May 2005, 11:05 PM
obtoo

Yeah I didn't click continue because I didn't want to waste an oppertunity by not filling in that extra name. I was hoping to order it tonight but I guess I'll have to wait a few more days untill someone can explain to me what they're talking about with that.

obtoo
Old 19th May 2005, 12:43 AM

obtoo,
I?m not with the company but I think the Family Surname for the mtDNA test would be your maiden name if you?re a married woman using her husband's last name or it would be your mom?s maiden name if you're a man. The part that says you can request more names is probably for those who know the last names of their ancestors, on the female line (their great-great-great grandmother?s last name, etc). The thing is, it really doesn?t matter on the mtDNA test because if you have a match with another person, you will still be notified if the other person says it?s okay. Most people whose mtDNA matches will have different last names anyway because children usually take on their father?s name. By the way, the actual test takes weeks to complete so you can order it tonight and make any changes on your info later on if you need to.
Old 21st May 2005, 09:52 PM
obtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by haplogroupc
obtoo,
I?m not with the company but I think the Family Surname for the mtDNA test would be your maiden name if you?re a married woman using her husband's last name or it would be your mom?s maiden name if you're a man. The part that says you can request more names is probably for those who know the last names of their ancestors, on the female line (their great-great-great grandmother?s last name, etc). The thing is, it really doesn?t matter on the mtDNA test because if you have a match with another person, you will still be notified if the other person says it?s okay. Most people whose mtDNA matches will have different last names anyway because children usually take on their father?s name. By the way, the actual test takes weeks to complete so you can order it tonight and make any changes on your info later on if you need to.
OK, thanks for the info.

obtoo
Old 26th May 2005, 05:53 PM

It is also for someone who may be paying for someone elses kit and inputting the billing and mailing address. I have paid for another person kit luckily we had the same surname. This would be other reason for the added question.