Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > The Genographic Project

The Genographic Project Do you have results from Genographic? Are you considering testing with them? This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 7th February 2008, 08:38 PM

Which FTDNA results transfer to GP?

I was just about to transfer my preliminary Y-DNA1-12 and HVR1 and HVR2 test results from FTDNA to the Genographic Project (using the function in FTDNA's personal page), when something occurred to me...

I am still waiting on the results of my Y-DNA13-67 and my deep clade R1b1c and H tests. Should I wait until all those results are in before I transfer my results to GP, or do only the basic markers transfer over? I am somewhat anxious to confirm whether GP will confirm FTDNA's haplogroup assignment estimate.

The description for the transfer on the FTDNA personal page says that "you will be able to upload your 12-marker results and/or your mtDNA to the Genographic Project," but I'm wondering if that wording changes once you have more panel results available.
Old 7th February 2008, 10:15 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostX
The description for the transfer on the FTDNA personal page says that "you will be able to upload your 12-marker results and/or your mtDNA to the Genographic Project," but I'm wondering if that wording changes once you have more panel results available.

You can transfer your test results to NG at any time or as many times as you wish. d
Old 7th February 2008, 11:23 PM
Webinar Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostX
Genographic only uses 12 markers, HVR1 and backbone haplogroups for its study, so it doesn't matter what else you've tested.

Contrary to Darroll's statement, you cannot transfer your results "as many times as you wish". You transfer your Y-DNA and mtDNA once, and you'll be assigned a Genographic Project ID so you can access your personal Genographic Project results page at any time. One thing I don't know is whether you'll be given a single Genographic Project ID to access both your Y-DNA and mtDNA, or whether you'll be given a separate ID for each.

Elise
Old 8th February 2008, 08:01 AM

Thanks Elise, that is very helpful info!
Old 8th February 2008, 03:29 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by efgen
Genographic only uses 12 markers, HVR1 and backbone haplogroups for its study, so it doesn't matter what else you've tested.

Contrary to Darroll's statement, you cannot transfer your results "as many times as you wish". You transfer your Y-DNA and mtDNA once, and you'll be assigned a Genographic Project ID so you can access your personal Genographic Project results page at any time. One thing I don't know is whether you'll be given a single Genographic Project ID to access both your Y-DNA and mtDNA, or whether you'll be given a separate ID for each.

Elise
You get a separate code for each. I started out with GP and then transferred to FTDNA. When I had my mtDNA done I uploaded that to GP and received another code.

GP doesn't use all of the subclades, yet... I am R1b at GP, when I transferred to FTDNA they estimated me to be R1b1. I had FTDNA's Deep SNP test for R1b and they determined me to be R1b1c. Then I had some more SNPs tested with EthnoAncestry (EA) that are only available through them and they determined me to be R1b1c9. Later on this year FTDNA will start offering all but one of those SNPs that EA tests for (S68 has no equivalent yet).
Old 9th February 2008, 05:15 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by efgen

Elise
Whenever I get new test results back I have the option to send the information to NG. I have had all the tests possible, done. Still waiting for the HVR2 results. I will forward these to NG also. Don't know what happens to the data, someone takes it. You have to have separate passwords for
the MTDNA and Y-DNA. d
Old 9th February 2008, 05:48 PM
Webinar Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by darroll
Whenever I get new test results back I have the option to send the information to NG. I have had all the tests possible, done. Still waiting for the HVR2 results. I will forward these to NG also. Don't know what happens to the data, someone takes it. You have to have separate passwords for
the MTDNA and Y-DNA. d
Darroll,

That's Ysearch and Mitosearch that you can upload all your results to. Not the Genographic Project.

Elise
Old 9th February 2008, 08:33 PM
FTDNA Customer

Elise,
I will give you the benefit of doubt on this one.
Next month I will pay attention when I share the results with who/ever.
I just don't like to share with folks that "sell" my/our DNA. Also some share their results ... but... make it so you can't contact them. One of these was a perfect match, I have no idea who they are?
Thanks, dc
Old 10th February 2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2-D2
I am R1b at GP, when I transferred to FTDNA they estimated me to be R1b1. I had FTDNA's Deep SNP test for R1b and they determined me to be R1b1c. Then I had some more SNPs tested with EthnoAncestry (EA) that are only available through them and they determined me to be R1b1c9. Later on this year FTDNA will start offering all but one of those SNPs that EA tests for (S68 has no equivalent yet).
I was about to order a Y-DNA deep clade test (I'm currently R1b1c) from FTDNA, as they already have my DNA. Given what you just said about how FTDNA is going to be adding SNP's, should I go ahead and order the deep clade test now, or wait until later this year?
Old 10th February 2008, 01:36 PM
FTDNA Customer

Go for it.
FTDNA knows what they are doing. d