Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Old 25th August 2017, 05:59 PM
FTDNA Customer

Italian mother with no Italian results, but have middle eastern

Question from my Grandmother who recently got her FTDNA results:

My Mother was from what is today Northern Italy (It was the Austro-Hungarian Empire when she was born). Her family were all Italian speakers (of various northern dialects) w/ Italian surnames as far back as the early 1700's.

My Father was born in the U.S., mostly British ancestry..

My Origins results were 85% Western European and 15% Middle Eastern (12 % Asia minor and 3 percent West Middle East).

I'm wondering...

- Why wouldn't I have any southern European ancestry given all of the Italian surnames?

- Where in world would 15% Middle Eastern be coming from? I assume it's too much to just be "noise". Is that a correct assumption?

- As my father's ancestry was predominately British (specifically Welsh), why wouldn't that show up at all?
Old 25th August 2017, 06:53 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEN89B View Post
Question from my Grandmother who recently got her FTDNA results:

My Mother was from what is today Northern Italy (It was the Austro-Hungarian Empire when she was born). Her family were all Italian speakers (of various northern dialects) w/ Italian surnames as far back as the early 1700's.

My Father was born in the U.S., mostly British ancestry..

My Origins results were 85% Western European and 15% Middle Eastern (12 % Asia minor and 3 percent West Middle East).

I'm wondering...

- Why wouldn't I have any southern European ancestry given all of the Italian surnames?

- Where in world would 15% Middle Eastern be coming from? I assume it's too much to just be "noise". Is that a correct assumption?

- As my father's ancestry was predominately British (specifically Welsh), why wouldn't that show up at all?
Have you tried uploading her raw data to MyHeritage as well?
Something similar happened to my own grandmother, except it was on MH, and transfers to FTDNA from there are currently unavailable. All of her grandparents were from Northern Italy, but MyHeritage says she is 41% Iberian, 39.2% Greek and only 15.2% Italian.
Old 25th August 2017, 07:18 PM
FTDNA Customer

All these ethnic estimates are exactly this: estimates.
Often, we get results from neighboring populations, which are not so very different here in Europe.
My guess: Your British-origin father shows as Western Europe, and he may indeed have some ancestors from Germanic peoples in history. Italian mother shows as Middle East plus Western Europe (maybe again some Germanic ancestry in northern Italy, from thousand years ago.)
You can be peaceful: does not look like a big surprise; no hidden ancestry from another continent than expected. Your results are somewhere in the expected area.

If you put your results into gedmatch, MH, or anywhere else, you can have a few more ethnic calculations, each a little different, compared to different standard populations.

Similar in my case, mixed European. In the old version of MyOrigins, they gave me a lot of Asia Minor. Now in version 2, they gave me Southeast Europe instead, which is correct. Mother still has some Asia Minor in version 2.
Sooner or later, there will be version 3, and we will see what happens next.
Old 26th August 2017, 03:37 PM
FTDNA Customer

We'll upload the raw data to My Hertiage and see what happens.

It doesn't make sense that someone who should have about half of her DNA from the British Isles doesn't show up as British Isles at all.

Since when do documented British people (from specific towns, surnames, etc) show up as Western European? Scandinavian would make sense, but no British Isles & only WE in someone with a Welsh father? Doesn't make sense.

Also, I still have no idea what "Asia Minor" refers to in FTDNA MY Origins results. It's not Turkish, it's not Greek... what is it? Armenian?
Old 27th August 2017, 06:56 AM
FTDNA Customer

You are correct. Armenians were the source for Asia Minor. At least, this is what I have read on this forum.

If you search through the forum, you will find more cases where people got estimates from neighboring populations.

My own "British or West-and-Central" experience goes like this:
My mother has 9% British, and no connection with British Isles. We believe that she has Germanic admixture from history.
I have no British at all. Instead, MyOrigins gave me more West and Central Europe (24%), more than they found in my mother (19%). (Father was not tested, but he should not have West and Central, maybe in traces only.)

At MyHeritage, mother has no British, she has Scandinavian (unexpected), and North&West Europe. They gave me no Scandinavian (there could be a trace); again, they gave me more North&West than mother.

We have other ethnic percents which are probably of no interest to you. MyOrigins was closer to the truth than MyHeritage in my case.

Roughly, we are somewhere in the right area.

If I had no previous knowledge, my face would reveal no trace of South-East Europe. In my genes, it is clearly visible. Thinking how much the science advanced in the last few decades, I find it amazing.

Hope you will soon see your MH ethnic results, too.
Old 27th August 2017, 06:48 PM
FTDNA Customer

So My Origins is just awful.

I uploaded my Grandma's raw data to My Heritage and the results make total sense with what we know about our family. These are her MH ethnic estimates:

Greek 36.4%
Iberian 20.2%
Italian 5.2%
Irish, Scottish, and Welsh
25.1%
Scandinavian
10.2%
Middle Eastern
3%

The Greek/Iberian/Italian accounts for her Italian mother and the Welsh/Scandinavian is her American father who we know had documented Welsh ancestors.