Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Features Requests & Bug Reports Area

Features Requests & Bug Reports Area This forum is for customers to talk about features they would like to see. It may also be used to report potential website issues and account bugs, though you may get faster service by sending those through the Open a Request feature found in the Customer Service link at the top of the forum page.

Old 23rd August 2017, 06:12 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runwithit View Post
Big thanks to Ann for posting the solution, for those of you where it is still not working, I did the following,

1) Download your raw data from ancestry
2) Extract the .txt file from the zip file
3) Open the .txt file (it will take a while to load because there are so many lines)
4) Select ALL of the lines that start with #
5) Delete all of the lines that you just selected
6) Paste the following lines into the .txt document at the top so that they 'replace' all of the lines you just deleted:

#AncestryDNA raw data download
#This file was generated by AncestryDNA at: 05/28/2017 23:32:38 UTC
#Data was collected using AncestryDNA array version: V2.0
#Data is formatted using AncestryDNA converter version: V1.0
#Below is a text version of your DNA file from Ancestry.com DNA, LLC. THIS
#INFORMATION IS FOR YOUR PERSONAL USE AND IS INTENDED FOR GENEALOGICAL RESEARCH
#ONLY. IT IS NOT INTENDED FOR MEDICAL, DIAGNOSTIC, OR HEALTH PURPOSES. THE EXPORTED DATA IS

7) Save the file (it will take a little while to save because the file is quite big)
8) Re-upload the file to FTDNA like you did before

The above worked for me, my end file size was 17,685kb so file size doesn't make a difference. I agree it sucks that you have to do this, but who cares if it works and it's free

I tired this but didn't delete ALL of the lines, only to *THE EXPORTED DATA IS* I left the other lines beginning with # and it appears to have worked this time! Thanks for this, been trying for weeks to get this file uploaded, now we wait to see if any matches actually show up, I now am in the come back in 24 hours phase.
Old 23rd August 2017, 09:03 AM
FTDNA Customer

yvw

yvw, like you said, the trick is to delete ALL of the lines starting with # at the top of the file, not just half of them and replace them with the lines Ann gave

#teamwork

Old 23rd August 2017, 03:36 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkeeper View Post
I tired this but didn't delete ALL of the lines, only to *THE EXPORTED DATA IS* I left the other lines beginning with # and it appears to have worked this time! Thanks for this, been trying for weeks to get this file uploaded, now we wait to see if any matches actually show up, I now am in the come back in 24 hours phase.
I did the same and it seems to have finally worked!
Old 23rd August 2017, 05:17 PM
FTDNA Customer

Yeesh! I have been racking my brain trying to make this work.. flipped those couple of bits and uploaded first try..

Thanks Wilters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilters View Post
For those of you unable to upload Ancestry raw dna data to FTDNA.

The latest I got from FTDNA Customer Support asserted that "reads for specific SNPs are in the wrong locations in the files". This turns out to be rubbish.

I imported into Excel a file that would upload and a file that would not. I then got Excel to identify differences between the files. The differences are NOT associated with SNP locations. The differences are purely related to the pre-amble text in the Ancestry raw dna data files. By changing the preamble text, the files will upload.

The following preamble is from a file that will not upload:

#This file was generated by AncestryDNA at: 05/15/2017 03:51:26 UTC
#Data was collected using AncestryDNA array version: V1.0
#ONLY. IT IS NOT INTENDED FOR MEDICAL OR HEALTH PURPOSES. THE EXPORTED DATA IS

However, this text will upload:

#This file was generated by AncestryDNA at: 05/28/2017 23:32:38 UTC
#Data was collected using AncestryDNA array version: V2.0
#ONLY. IT IS NOT INTENDED FOR MEDICAL, DIAGNOSTIC, OR HEALTH PURPOSES. THE EXPORTED DATA IS

Ignoring the different times in line 2, the key changes are:

Line 3: "V2.0" instead of "V1.0"

Line beginning "#ONLY": add ", DIAGNOSTIC,"

When I changed the text as above, two Ancestry files that previously failed (many times) to upload, then uploaded at the first attempt.

Heaven knows why the FTDNA upload converter concerns itself with the preamble. Clearly GEDMATCH does not because as I and others discovered our unaltered files would readily upload to GEDMATCH.

And shame on you FTDNA to assert the problem was related to SNPs being in the wrong location. FTDNA: get your house in order!

There is, of course, another issue related to why Ancestry changed the collection version and other text. Ancestry DNA extractions in Feb and 28 May had "V2.0" text, while extractions on 15 May had "V1.0". I am tackling Ancestry on that point.

G
Old 23rd August 2017, 09:27 PM
FTDNA Customer

Unhappy Error message

I am receiving the same error message for several days now. I have tried upward of 30 times to upload this. I have tried all the solutions.

Will FTDNA support be able to help via phone better?
Old 24th August 2017, 07:01 AM
FTDNA Customer

Read my post on page 7, it will work
Old 24th August 2017, 09:36 PM
FTDNA Customer

Sometimes it doesn't matter

I've had the opportunity to upload 9 kits since this problem started (a family reunion generated interest, in case you're wondering), and I tried different things after I saw what was and was not working. Here are my observations:

1. Line 3 must have a version number of 2 rather than 1.
That's it. Everything else is just overkill and will not change the outcome if done properly.
2. You should avoid introducing any formatting changes, seen or unseen, during unzipping, editing, saving, or rezipping.
Invisible formatting characters are sometimes added just by opening a file with a word processor, spreadsheet, text editor, etc. Those invisible changes would include line feeds, tabs, screen formatting, watermarks, anything that was not in the file when Ancestry created it.

Now, the interesting discovery came on my 8th file, with an Ancestry file that was generated prior to the problem and just had not been uploaded previously. I tried the upload, got the error message, and assumed the file had the wrong version.

I opened a copy in the Notepad++ editor (always a duplicate file, I never start with the original downloaded data) and saw that it had V2 where it needed to be. Everything looked perfect.

Then I tried the upload again. Error. So right after emailing my cousin to obtain a new copy for me, I tried again. Within that short 10 minutes the original unaltered file uploaded correctly.

If this had been my first file upload, I might have started making more header changes and eventually after replacing the entire header it possibly could have worked. It might have randomly worked after I made only 2 changes or 5 changes. I would never have known that everything after the V1 to V2 revision was not necessary.

Now when you consider the rejections from the Ancestry change combined with random rejections of good, workable files, I would say it's a wonder anyone can get past this issue.
Old 26th August 2017, 08:18 PM
FTDNA Customer

nothing works

I have tried every combination suggested, but nothing seems to work. I've tried Notepad++, uploading the *.txt file and the *.zip file. Very frustrating.
Old 27th August 2017, 05:43 AM
FTDNA Customer

Uncompressed file sizes?

Just curious, but if your file still does not work, do you have the older file with an uncompressed size of 18,400 KB or do you have the newer file with an uncompressed size of 17,686 KB? Does anyone have a file with either of these sizes that still will not upload after the V2 fix?
Old 27th August 2017, 09:57 AM
FTDNA Customer

Ancestry header reverted

I re-downloaded the .zip file from Ancestry about twenty minutes ago and this copy has the V2.0 and DIAGNOSTIC format, so it appears Ancestry has started reverting back to the old header. However, the unzipped file is now 17,595 KB, and of course FTDNA still won't accept the .zip or .txt file. So I don't know that the issue is entirely the header since my file's text now matches.

I don't have the patience to make a copy of a pre-broken, 18.1 MG .txt file and manually change the ATCGs to the new file's in an effort to capture these invisible format changes, but I wonder if that's what it'll take for some of us.