Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA Success Stories

DNA Success Stories How DNA helped solve a family brick wall. We encourage you to publish your story here. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 27th March 2017, 04:05 PM
FTDNA Customer

Finally I have success

It has been awhile since I have been on this forum; but finally I can report that I have successfully figured out who my birth parents were. A big thank you to FTDNA where I started my dna testing with ydna testing, family finder testing, etc. I was frustrated by my lack of success at the Family court, where I tried to get my adoption record unsealed, but in a closed adoption State like Florida, unless at least one of the birth parents grants permission to reveal identifying info, it will not happen. However, I did not realize at the time(2011) that non id info I received from my birth mom via the CHS of Florida would help me to identify my maternal grandmother in 2016. It is always a good idea to test at every available pool, and in 2016 I did the autosomal dna test at ancestry, and gained a 2nd cousin match, 325cMs on 14 segments, and we were able to figure out that our maternal grandmothers were sisters. Since my birth mom had revealed that her mother died in child birth(Hemorrhaging uterus), I sent for the death certificate w/cause of death for who I believed was my maternal grandmother who died 1949, and when I got the death certificate it verified the exact wording. My grandmother had two daughters that fit the right age according to other non id info, and I have eliminated one and so I have confirmed the correct sister to be my birth mom. Another added surprise just happened again at ancestry and I have a close dna match 997cMs on 38 segments. We have communicated and we are 1st cousins 1x removed, because her great-grandmother was my maternal grandmother, her grandmother was my aunt, and her mother is my 1st cousin. Because my birth mom & birth father shared the same paternal great-grandfather & are 2nd cousins; explains why my 1st cousin 1x removed shares more dna then usual.

I almost gave up, but I am glad I kept on searching, so I encourage adoptees to dig into every area you can, because everything is useful in the end.

Best regards, Doug
Old 27th March 2017, 04:34 PM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

Congratulations! Your perseverance paid off!
Old 27th March 2017, 05:49 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATM View Post
Congratulations! Your perseverance paid off!
Thanks, hopefully my story will encourage others to keep searching. I also had big time help from a genealogist who has solved over 500 adoptee cases, Dave Guentner and his email is dguentner56@frontiernet.net

Best regards, Doug
Old 28th March 2017, 11:56 AM
FTDNA Customer

So pleased for you. Well done!
Old 28th March 2017, 01:17 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Davis View Post
So pleased for you. Well done!
Thanks Earl