Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Advanced Topics

mtDNA - Advanced Topics Users can exchange advanced information here on mtDNA testing, results, and questions. You must register and sign in to view or post in this forum.

Old 24th March 2017, 08:06 AM
FTDNA Customer

H2a2b4

The Genographic Project gives my father's maternal haplogroup as H2a2b4. Since getting the results, I've tried to find out more about this group. I am considering testing at Family Tree DNA for the full sequence. My concern is that I can't seem to find anything on this haplogroup (which was <0.1% at the Genographic Project). I feel I need to be a bit careful about how I spend my testing money. I have joined the H and HV group at Family Tree, but I wondered if anyone had any other pointers? Or is there just not that much information on this haplogroup to be found?

Thanks.

Marjorie
Old 24th March 2017, 08:49 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjorieF View Post
The Genographic Project gives my father's maternal haplogroup as H2a2b4. Since getting the results, I've tried to find out more about this group. I am considering testing at Family Tree DNA for the full sequence. My concern is that I can't seem to find anything on this haplogroup (which was <0.1% at the Genographic Project). I feel I need to be a bit careful about how I spend my testing money. I have joined the H and HV group at Family Tree, but I wondered if anyone had any other pointers? Or is there just not that much information on this haplogroup to be found?

Thanks.

Marjorie
I'd use my money for something else. I don't think you would get much information from it that would help.

Jack
Old 24th March 2017, 10:00 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks, Jack.
Old 24th March 2017, 05:27 PM
FTDNA Customer

H2a2b4 is only about 2,651 years old according to a table in the Supplementary Data file at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3322232/

So even though it isn't genealogically relevant if you are interested in population stats it can be good. However, not everyone with such a young mtDNA subclade shows up as a match so the matches could be from a much more recent time period especially with those with a GD of 0.

So far, it seems to be limited to be people with ancestry in the British Isles according to what is listed from academic studies at http://www.ianlogan.co.uk/sequences_..._sequences.htm

These two are from the same study linked to in the first paragraph.

49. JQ702900(England) Behar
50. JQ705734(Ireland) Behar
Old 24th March 2017, 08:02 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thank you, Armando! I appreciated those links.

My last-known maternal ancestor was a Gaelic speaker, so I was interested in the fact that the Geographic Project said this about H2a: "The map for H2a shows that it is most common in northern Spain and southwestern France, as well as in Russia. Overall it is rare in the rest of Europe."

But ancestry in the British Isles makes sense, even if I don't know how exactly to square it with that quoted information above (which I am perhaps giving too much importance. And, of course, her maternal line could differ from her father's line which was Scottish.)

I may at some point get curious enough to buy the full-sequence mtDNA, even if it may not offer me a lot of specific genealogical information. It's hard to resist, in some ways.
Old 24th March 2017, 10:30 PM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjorieF View Post
I may at some point get curious enough to buy the full-sequence mtDNA, even if it may not offer me a lot of specific genealogical information. It's hard to resist, in some ways.
Project administrators were sent an email today from FTDNA, regarding the mtDNA database update from Build 14 to the current Build 17. They included this statement, of an offer to upgrade to the Full Sequence mtDNA test for $99:
Quote:
This update is the perfect time for those testers who have only tested mtDNA HVR1 or mtDNA Plus (HVR1 and 2) to upgrade to the Full Mitochondrial Sequence (FMS). For the next week, upgrades from mtDNA to FMS and from mtDNA Plus to FMS are only $99! Only with the FMS will testers get the full benefit of the new build, so please encourage your members to upgrade. See the upgrade page for more information and to order!
So, not sure if you are curious enough yet, but that is a good sale! I think you will need to be in a project in order to get the sale price, though.

Last edited by KATM; 24th March 2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 24th March 2017, 10:33 PM
FTDNA Customer

It is a good sale, but I suspect I may not be able to get it. My Geno 2+ may not count towards the upgrade sale. I will ask, though! Thanks.
Old 24th March 2017, 11:23 PM

Yes, you should ask. Don't rush if you're not ready and/or able, though. I had my haplogroup given by Geno 2.0 as K1a3, then with 23andMe as K1a3. I did the FullSequence test at FTDNA, and guess what - still K1a3. You never know until you do it. Right now your subclade of H2a2b4 isn't shown on the Eupedia page for haplogroup H.

As others say, mtDNA testing is not the best for genealogy, at least as things are now. Since the surnames change, it's harder to pinpoint a match's connection, if you're even able. If the database allowed people to enter each maiden surname of their mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, etc. that the tester knows, that could help. I think its best use currently is to prove a suspected connection, rather than to "fish" for a match.

If you're interested (as you seem to be) in the origins of the haplogroup, that is another reason. Perhaps the administrators of the H haplogroup project can give you some advice.
Old 25th March 2017, 08:53 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks. Yeah, I won't rush into this decision, although I'm sure at some point I'll test, to look more closely at its origins if nothing else.
Old 25th March 2017, 01:07 PM

One last thing, just FYI - Roberta Estes has a good post on the Mitochondrial DNA Build 17 Update at Family Tree DNA, on her DNAexplained blog.

Besides the Build 17 update vs. earlier versions, the post has good information on the differences in mtDNA testing for National Geographic's Geno 1, Geno 2, Geno 2+, 23andMe and FTDNA, and what mtDNA builds they used. She discusses the mtDNA Phylotree, mutations and more.