Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA Success Stories

DNA Success Stories How DNA helped solve a family brick wall. We encourage you to publish your story here. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 21st March 2017, 05:10 PM
FTDNA Customer

5th to Remote success story

The fourth closest person on my match list is a projected 2nd to 4th Cousin, with a somewhat uncommon name, and who I will call Mr. Euphonium for privacy sake. He supplied neither a tree nor a list of surnames. Seeking a link between us, I did an In Common With search. Among the two dozen or so matches was a 5th to Remote cousin, a Ms. Euphonium-Timpani.

Ms. Euphonium-Timpani had no tree either, but did supply a list of surnames, including a very unusual one (one which I have never seen outside of my own tree), which I will call “Glockenspiel”. Also, Ms. Timpani-Euphonium did not have an email link available.

I took a flyer and checked the trees on Ancestry, and found that there were purported descendants of my Glockenspiel who married into the Euphonium family. I emailed Mr. Euphonium, provided the relevant portions of my lineage back to the Glockenspiels, and asked if perhaps he was similarly related.

I soon received an email from Ms. Euphonium-Timpani, who explained that Mr. Euphonium was her father, that he had passed away, and that she was monitoring his ftDNA account. She confirmed that we did indeed descend from the same Glockenspiel, making her father my third cousin, and Ms. Euphonium-Timpani my 3C1R. Success!

I have since had my four siblings tested (Family Finder), and all four have both Mr. Euphonium and Ms. Euphonium-Timpani as 2nd to 4th cousins.

The morals of the story are:
1. Upload your tree and family surnames. It makes it a lot easier to track down relationships.
2. Don’t ignore your 5th to Remote cousins on the list. You may find they are a lot closer than they appear.

Last edited by Bob Hesse; 21st March 2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:47 AM
FTDNA Customer

Keep up the good work, and you will eventually have the entire symphonic band, complete with piccolo and contra-bassoon!

You're correct, of course! Every now and then, one of those estimated distant cousins turns out to have an identifiable connection, which has the effect of validating your pedigree and that of your match. Depending on the situation, you may even find a clue strong enough to break through a "brick wall". I've found a few matches of this type, even though most of my matches, even the predicted second cousins, are still a complete mystery.
Old 23rd March 2017, 11:38 AM
FTDNA Customer

Congrats. The biggest moral is to test your oldest family members, grandparents and/or great aunts uncles, parents whoever you have available. It is pretty amazing how quickly the DNA disappears through the generations, testing your older relatives brings those true closer matches to the forefront.
Old 23rd March 2017, 01:42 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by travers View Post
Congrats. The biggest moral is to test your oldest family members, grandparents and/or great aunts uncles, parents whoever you have available. It is pretty amazing how quickly the DNA disappears through the generations, testing your older relatives brings those true closer matches to the forefront.
Sadly in my case the DNA technology showed up after all those of previous generations are gone, so we five siblings ARE the oldest generation.