Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Advanced

Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Advanced Users can talk about SNP based tests such as single SNP testing by Sanger sequencing, Geno 2.0 chip based testing, and next-generation sequencing tests like BIG Y.

Old 6th April 2016, 03:07 AM
FTDNA Customer

Basic question - YDNA group M269

Had the YDNA test done on my son and it suggested the Haplogroup M269. I clicked on it, added it to my cart and paid $39. How will this even help me? I'm so new and not quite sure what it is. My sons YDNA test wasn't very helpful and I think only matched up to 25 markers. The first three and several others had McDonald as the surname which I wonder is my sons biological surname. Anyways what do I do with this Haplogroup I just paid for and then it says I can add SNP tests for more? I don't know what's worth it or helpful. I'm kind of at my spending limit but am hoping to make sense of all my info and make some biological connections for my son and mostly build his family tree.
Old 6th April 2016, 05:57 AM
FTDNA Customer

M269 is a really broad haplogroup (several hundred million in Europe and North America). There is a lot of structure nested beneath M269. Most are L21+. Most L23+ are also L51+. Most L51+ are L11+. Most L11 are either P312+ or U106+.

Family Tree DNA can't reliably estimate haplogroup below M269, based on y-str data alone. That is why they suggested M269.

You should probably join the R1b project & see what SNP tests the admins recommend before spending any more money on SNPs.

Timothy Peterman
Old 6th April 2016, 08:26 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara291 View Post
Had the YDNA test done on my son and it suggested the Haplogroup M269. I clicked on it, added it to my cart and paid $39. How will this even help me? I'm so new and not quite sure what it is. My sons YDNA test wasn't very helpful and I think only matched up to 25 markers. The first three and several others had McDonald as the surname which I wonder is my sons biological surname. Anyways what do I do with this Haplogroup I just paid for and then it says I can add SNP tests for more? I don't know what's worth it or helpful. I'm kind of at my spending limit but am hoping to make sense of all my info and make some biological connections for my son and mostly build his family tree.
Since you are looking for a genealogical match for your son and his father was a donor and your son does not have a match at 37 markers then there is no reason to get Y-DNA SNP testing at this point. Not even a BigY test would be worth the money. All you can do is fish in all ponds with autosomal DNA testing at all three DNA companies. Since you have had AncestryDNA testing for yourself and your son you can do an autosomal DNA transfer for yourself and your son to FTDNA at https://www.familytreedna.com/AutosomalTransfer, a 23andme test for yourself and your son, and upload the AncestryDNA test of yours and your son's to www.gedmatch.com then look for close matches of your son that aren't close matches to you.

In this thread http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=39473 you mentioned that the donor's father put down having an Italian father and German/Swedish mother. There aren't many international testers at AncestryDNA. There are some at FTDNA but many more at 23andme.

Last edited by Armando; 6th April 2016 at 08:28 AM.
Old 6th April 2016, 09:11 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
You have asked many question in many different areas. You need to slow down and work through the answers to your other questions before you spend any more money!
Old 6th April 2016, 11:55 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thank you guys. It doesn't help that the only time I have any time for my own research and even posting questions is after the kids are in bed and I'm exhausted from the day. I ordered a few books on Amazon to help me learn the basics more. I also think I may pay for a expert to help me start this process. I don't have time to even sit and look until 9-10 at night but then easily stay up until way to late and up again by 5.
Old 6th April 2016, 05:06 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Had the YDNA test done on my son and it suggested the Haplogroup M269. I clicked on it, added it to my cart and paid $39. How will this even help me?
Frankly, it won't. I suggest you call FTDNA (1.713.868.1438) or use their Contact Form (Change Order, then Billing/Change Order) to upgrade your order to one of the following:
- Upgrade to 67 markers for $99, or
- Upgrade to R1b-M343 SNP Pack.

Either of these is $99 (i.e., $60 more).
Old 6th April 2016, 05:25 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgmayka View Post
Frankly, it won't. I suggest you call FTDNA (1.713.868.1438) or use their Contact Form (Change Order, then Billing/Change Order) to upgrade your order to one of the following:
- Upgrade to 67 markers for $99, or
- Upgrade to R1b-M343 SNP Pack.

Either of these is $99 (i.e., $60 more).
She has indicated that she is only interested in creating a genealogical tree. Those tests would be more for more distant matches or ancient ancestry.
Old 19th April 2016, 10:53 PM
FTDNA Customer

what you need to do is, pay attention to those that match you, no not on surname but those that match you number by number, and then see what snp that they came positive with, those are the ones you need to test for, also follow the snp chart at FTDNA, and follow the chart
Old 20th April 2016, 10:46 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
what you need to do is, pay attention to those that match you, no not on surname but those that match you number by number, and then see what snp that they came positive with, those are the ones you need to test for, also follow the snp chart at FTDNA, and follow the chart
Not if they aren't at least a 37 marker match and her interest in very recent matches for recent genealogy.
Old 21st May 2016, 05:16 PM
FTDNA Customer

no,no,no that not what im saying. look at all of those that he has match, dont paid much attention to surname. see what snp that they have become positive for, they will be a pattern.

then look at the chart and follow the snp. between what he was positive and what the matches are positive. go as far down as possible and those are the one you test for. Look at the chart.