Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Advanced

Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Advanced Users can talk about SNP based tests such as single SNP testing by Sanger sequencing, Geno 2.0 chip based testing, and next-generation sequencing tests like BIG Y.

Old 29th September 2015, 11:24 AM
FTDNA Customer

R-Z295

Any info on this subclade?

Age, geography, frequency, or just a tree to start with, would be great.
I went from M269 -probably DF27 based on Y67- to Z295 with the new M243 pack.
I got from internet search that it is ~2500 years old with no better location than 'Western European'.
Old 29th September 2015, 05:34 PM
FTDNA Customer

If you were to get a BigY and YFull analysis you would possibly be placed into a subclade that is less than 1700 years old along with other people from a more specific region. SNP packs aren't going to include all of the SNPs that can place you there.

Here is the YFull page for Z295 which shows it's estimated age and other subclades below it from BigY and 1,000 Genomes tests. http://www.yfull.com/tree/R-Z295/

Last edited by Armando; 29th September 2015 at 05:41 PM.
Old 29th September 2015, 08:01 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armando View Post
If you were to get a BigY and YFull analysis you would possibly be placed into a subclade that is less than 1700 years old along with other people from a more specific region. SNP packs aren't going to include all of the SNPs that can place you there.

Here is the YFull page for Z295 which shows it's estimated age and other subclades below it from BigY and 1,000 Genomes tests. http://www.yfull.com/tree/R-Z295/
Thanks Armando. It's older than I thought at ~3700y Before Present. It's Bronze age.
Old 1st May 2016, 01:29 AM
FTDNA Customer

R-Z295 ACTIVE RESEARCHER

HI, I AM GONNA BE LOOKING FOR R-Z295 ORIGINS AS WELL ,BUT I GOT GOOD NEWS BECAUSE I FOUND QUITE A FEW MEMBERS ON THE FRENCH GROUP THAT BELONG TO R-Z295.
EMAIL EMAIL
GOOD LUCK AND FEEL FREE TO REPLY JOHNRIVERS820@GMAIL.COM
Old 1st May 2016, 08:20 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305016 View Post
HI, I AM GONNA BE LOOKING FOR R-Z295 ORIGINS AS WELL ,BUT I GOT GOOD NEWS BECAUSE I FOUND QUITE A FEW MEMBERS ON THE FRENCH GROUP THAT BELONG TO R-Z295.
EMAIL EMAIL
GOOD LUCK AND FEEL FREE TO REPLY JOHNRIVERS820@GMAIL.COM
I recall the admins of the df27 group said that z295 acted like a geographical sorter between Spanish (Basque) and non 'Spanish' locations, the later being positive for z295.
"Non Spanish" is a bit vague though and it is likely that some z295+ people made it to the Basque country even if most of them went elsewhere.
Given the age of z295 at almost 4000 years bp, the birth cradle of this subclade must be still very close of the DF27 father-clade birth location, somewhere in Central Europe, South Germany or maybe Gaul/Belgium.

Yes there are quite a few French customers that tested positive for z295 but If you know that you are z295, you must also know a few subclades below, like z209. In this case it is interesting to test for these subclades with the existing snp packs.

I did the z209 pack and ended up in a cul de sac at cts4065. We can speculatethat there are some unknown more or less french-specific snp below cts4065. So I went ahead with a big Y. Hopefully it will give the French cts4065+ people some new snps to test.
Old 1st May 2016, 03:36 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
I recall the admins of the df27 group said that z295 acted like a geographical sorter between Spanish (Basque) and non 'Spanish' locations, the later being positive for z295.
"Non Spanish" is a bit vague though and it is likely that some z295+ people made it to the Basque country even if most of them went elsewhere.
Given the age of z295 at almost 4000 years bp, the birth cradle of this subclade must be still very close of the DF27 father-clade birth location, somewhere in Central Europe, South Germany or maybe Gaul/Belgium.
Of course some Z295 was in Spain. Simply take a look at http://www.ytree.net/DisplayTree.php...631&star=false and that's even with Spain and Latin American having a much smaller percentage of participants than people with British Isles ancestry. If it weren't for 1000 Genomes kits there would hardly be any representation of Iberians and Latin Americans. If there were equal participation by Iberians and Latin Americans as there is by people of ancestry from the British Isles there would be a very large number of them in the BigTree by Alex Williamson and interpretation of what is and isn't found in Iberia would be more accurate.
Old 2nd May 2016, 07:09 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Of course some Z295 was in Spain. Simply take a look at http://www.ytree.net/DisplayTree.php...631&star=false and that's even with Spain and Latin American having a much smaller percentage of participants than people with British Isles ancestry. If it weren't for 1000 Genomes kits there would hardly be any representation of Iberians and Latin Americans. If there were equal participation by Iberians and Latin Americans as there is by people of ancestry from the British Isles there would be a very large number of them in the BigTree by Alex Williamson and interpretation of what is and isn't found in Iberia would be more accurate.
OK, thanks for correcting.
Old 28th February 2017, 03:09 PM
FTDNA Customer

Hello,

my father's haplogroup, after a Y-DNA test and a SNP Pack is set to R-Z295. Our paternal line is from Northern Spain. Wasn't there an additional SNP pack to sort below R-Z295? I'm not able to find it now, or I'm I imagining it?

Thanks!
Cristina
Old 28th February 2017, 06:24 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnegueruela View Post
Hello,

my father's haplogroup, after a Y-DNA test and a SNP Pack is set to R-Z295. Our paternal line is from Northern Spain. Wasn't there an additional SNP pack to sort below R-Z295? I'm not able to find it now, or I'm I imagining it?

Thanks!
Cristina
The R1b-Z209 SNP Pack is what he needs although BigY would be better.
Old 1st March 2017, 04:56 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
The R1b-Z209 SNP Pack is what he needs although BigY would be better.
Thank you very much, Armando. This is was looking for. However since you're suggesting BigY I'm going to look at it into detail before deciding. I admit I'm not that familiar with what the outcomes of the BigY test are... Are all SNPs tested then?