Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > Scientific Papers

Scientific Papers For talk of scientific papers on population genetics, archaeology, and anthropology related to DNA and personal ancestry testing.

Old 21st September 2015, 03:14 PM
FTDNA Customer

To date every Y Haplogroup H1a* - M82 male lineage identified from the Colonial American era, are of the Romanichal clan of England and Scotland.

Yes there were many Romanies whom migrated later during the 1850's - 1900's Romany migration whom came from all across Europe to the USA. But as far as the Colonial American Romany, every lineage I personally know about and have researched are from the Romanichal clan of England and Scotland which is a direct result of the anti Gypsy law era of England and Scotland, both of which were forcefully transporting Romanies as convicts to the American Colonies as early as the 1670's - 1700's era.

Those autosomal DNA participants who find some South Asian percentage, really should be looking at those provable Romany paternal lineages in H1a - M82 because some where in any one of those family trees could very well be the connection in your tree to help you prove that Romany connection.
Old 21st September 2015, 03:28 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Locke View Post
I am F21343 on Gedmatch.
Donald, do you know your mtDNA haplogroup?

Thanks,

Jack Wyatt
Old 21st September 2015, 03:30 PM
FTDNA Customer

georgian1950
Jack, no I do not know my mt Haplogroup yet, but my mother is of Germanic origins so her Haplo wouldn't do me much good as far as the Romany connection.
Old 21st September 2015, 03:35 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Locke View Post
georgian1950
Jack, no I do not know my mt Haplogroup yet, but my mother is of Germanic origins so her Haplo wouldn't do me much good as far as the Romany connection.
Thanks, something other than the Romany connection has caught my interest. The mtDNA haplogroup might have been some help.

Jack
Old 21st September 2015, 03:47 PM
FTDNA Customer

@ Timothy

2 Lock brothers remained in the Virginia's.
George Lock(e) whom married Sarah Hiatt
John Lock(e) whom married Esther French

George and John are as far as I know the only branches of my tree to have remained in the Virginia's and there are many living descendants of those 2 Lock men living in those states today.

The rest of the Lock family moved to Mercer County Kentucky by the 1780's and settled in Barren County Kentucky by 1799.

Some of the brothers settled down in Jackson County Tennessee, Wayne County Illinois, Barry County Missouri.

11 Locke men in the USA, descendants of Richard Lock of Frederick County Virginia have Y DNA tested, all 11 Locke men proven to be in Y Haplogroup H1a - M82.
So anyone with family ties to Frederick County Va, Berkeley County Va, Jefferson County Va, Clarke County Va., Barren County Ky, Hart County Ky, Jefferson County Ky, Jackson County Tn, Wayne County Illinois, Barry County Mo, Polk County Mo. with South Asian percentages really should be looking for a Lock / Locke family tree connection because proving that paper trail connection could easily explain your South Asian percentage.

But again, there were multiple Y Haplo H1a - M82 paternal lineages from the Colonial era from Virginia and South Carolina, any number of those trees could also help explain your South Asian percentages.

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups...out/background

Group 2 in the Locke project is my family, and 3 of those Locke participants are direct descendants of George Lock and Sarah Hiatt of Frederick County Va, Berkley County Va, Clarke County Va, Jefferson County Va.
Old 21st September 2015, 04:24 PM
FTDNA Customer

The Supplementary Tables (xls 696K) from that study maybe very useful too. In that table, they identify the Roma participants very clearly.

http://www.nature.com/ejhg/journal/v...g2015201a.html
Old 21st September 2015, 08:09 PM
FTDNA Customer

I am F012148. F226374 is my second cousin, William G. Lyons. Both of us are great grandsons of Edwin Hall.

Timothy Peterman
Old 21st September 2015, 09:27 PM
FTDNA Customer

This is very interesting. My wife's family has some oral history which seems to indicate Romani or Traveller ancestry. My son shows some South Asian in his DNA. When I lowered the threshold to 3.0 cM at GEDmatch, my wife matched both kits F21343 and F226374 at the exact same spot on Chromosome 6. Maybe this is a Romanichal match? Her GEDmatch kit is M16752. Her family names thought to possible have Romani connections include Lee, Gray, Taylor, Blythe, and Smalls
Old 21st September 2015, 09:51 PM
FTDNA Customer

Sorry, her kit is M161752, I left out a digit in the previous post. Also, her sister's kit is M805045 and my son is M728015.
Old 21st September 2015, 09:57 PM
FTDNA Customer

This is a bit more complicated. Donald matches me, but he doesn't match my dad or either of his brothers. Donald does match two of my dad's cousins (SJB F212656 & WGL F226374).

Donald also matches my maternal aunt (M L Veasman F021616), as well as myself.

Of course, I don't know if in either overlap, South Asian ancestry was involved. M L Veasman only has 0.14% South Asian ancestry. I have 0.87% South Asian.

My dad has 2.59% South Asian. I think it is most likely that my aunt & I are related to Donald, but through a non-South Asian part of his family.

I suspect that my father did get his South Asian from a Romani source, as did his various maternal cousins. My father & his brothers didn't inherit any matching segments with Donald, although my father's cousins (SJB & WGL) did.

Timothy Peterman