Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA Success Stories

DNA Success Stories How DNA helped solve a family brick wall. We encourage you to publish your story here. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 15th August 2014, 01:03 PM
Webinar Coordinator

Question Do you have an mtDNA Success Story?

I'm hoping to give an mtDNA Success Stories webinar in the near future -- but I need more stories!

If you have an mtDNA success story that you're willing to share, please send me a private message here on the forum. Include a brief summary of your story, relevant kit numbers and your email address. I'll then get in contact with you soon to discuss further details.

If privacy is a concern, we can share your story without revealing personal information (such as by using alternate names). So please do still contact me!

Thanks!
Elise
Old 16th August 2014, 08:23 AM
FTDNA Customer

Hard to have a mtDNA success story when over 90% of your matches don't provide any maternal line information.

I understand that some people don't have that information, but over 90%! I also know the upload isn't working right now, but is hasn't been broken all of the time during the last eight or nine years.
Old 16th August 2014, 01:55 PM
FTDNA Customer

I do not have an mtDNA success story. I have done FMS and so far do not have any mtDNA story of my own. After 2 years, I have considered it my poorest DNA investment.

I purchased yDNA and have gradually upgraded to y-111. Y-12 and 25 have been pretty useless except a haplo swag [free with 23andMe]. Y-37 and 67 got me productive 'leads' back to Holland and Germany/Denmark in the early-mid 1600s; y-111 has had no added value and thus not the bang for the buck...yet. Happy to wait, though and have actually bought a couple extra SNPs.

FF is worth every penny 10-fold and I paid a lot 2 years ago; close to $300 as I recall. I have verified my paternity [my paternal grandfather was indeed my unwed grandmother's sister's husband], my maternal grandfather's true nationality [Egyptian vs Am. Indian], confirmed my G Grandmother's father and his second family, and allowed me to help an adopted friend find his birth father and confirm it to a virtual certainty [in our opinions, anyway].

FWIW,

Bob
Old 16th August 2014, 02:06 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
Hard to have a mtDNA success story when over 90% of your matches don't provide any maternal line information.

I understand that some people don't have that information, but over 90%! I also know the upload isn't working right now, but is hasn't been broken all of the time during the last eight or nine years.
And when you do have it, you rarely have the times and places you need to truly connect the dots as the surnames [maiden] are often lost or meaningless, too.
Old 19th August 2014, 08:37 AM
FTDNA Customer

mtDNA success story

I have been able to correct an error in a paper-trail genealogy using mtDNA testing.

My "umbilical" ancestry runs through Phebe Lovejoy, wife of Davis Walton of Amherst, NH and Winthrop, ME. There were two contemporary Phebe Lovejoys who could have been his wife:

Phebe, d/o Capt. Henry Lovejoy & Phebe Chandler, born Andover 20 SEP 1735

Phebe, d/o Hezekiah Lovejoy & Hannah Austin, born Andover 24 OCT 1737

According to several sources, including the Austin Families of America http://afaoa.org/db_files/Samuel_Aus...als/I3324.html Phebe, d/o Hezekiah & Hannah married her cousin, Daniel Austin (1727-1773).

However, my mtDNA clade is J1c2g, currently a very small subclade with a rare HVR1 mutation at 16256T. Searching the old Sorenson mtDNA database, I discovered where I had an exact match to someone whose "umbilical" ancestor was Hannah (Lovejoy) Stanley (1724-1796) who was a daughter of Hezekiah Lovejoy & Hannah Austin.

This mtDNA match confirms that my ancestor, Phebe (Lovejoy) Davis was also the daughter of Hezekiah Lovejoy & Hannah Austin and that the traditional "paper-trail" genealogy is in error in stating she was the wife of Daniel Austin.
Old 27th August 2014, 03:09 PM
FTDNA Customer

I don't know that this would be considered a success by most but I have done 2 levels of mtDNA testing and plan to do full sequencing next year and have 1 exact match (actually 2 now but the 2nd removed their results).

In my maternal line my grandmother told me there is Amerindian (injun in her accent) in her Grandmother Madden's line and that she carried a tomahawk (for the kitchen) so it would have been convenient if that Amerindian component was the origin of the direct maternal component in my ancestry but that turned out not to be the case.

...anyway, I couldn't verify this story of Amerindian ancestry although distant cousins tell the same stories there is no paper trail. My single exact match knows he has Amerindian ancestry via a paper trail but his direct line of maternal ancestry leads to a woman with a different name than my maternal ancestor but also originating in the present day state of Kentucky.

As far as the geographic origin of the mtDNA that is almost surely central Finland and from what I've read that still leaves open the possibility that it was Siberian in origin which leads back to the Americas. It's also becoming clearer that there is both a European and an African contribution to the Amerindian gene pool from before the time of Christopher Columbus and Leif Ericson further complicating things. Although in my case I think the maternal ancestor did originate in Finland fleeing the Romans from central Germany and one of them mated with an Amerindian man in colonial times. A Family Finder test would have to show an Amerindian ancestry in my family tree now although the other evidence I have is tantalizingly close. The old ethnic test from FTDNA did show 2% East Asian. I'm not interested in joining a tribe or even 'reconstituting' a tribe as a few are but I am interested in the story my Grandmother told me.

So I guess my success is knowing the maternal origin is in Finland and having one exact match in the Americas.
Old 1st September 2014, 03:49 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52 View Post
I don't know that this would be considered a success by most but I have done 2 levels of mtDNA testing and plan to do full sequencing next year and have 1 exact match (actually 2 now but the 2nd removed their results).

In my maternal line my grandmother told me there is Amerindian (injun in her accent) in her Grandmother Madden's line and that she carried a tomahawk (for the kitchen) so it would have been convenient if that Amerindian component was the origin of the direct maternal component in my ancestry but that turned out not to be the case.

...anyway, I couldn't verify this story of Amerindian ancestry although distant cousins tell the same stories there is no paper trail. My single exact match knows he has Amerindian ancestry via a paper trail but his direct line of maternal ancestry leads to a woman with a different name than my maternal ancestor but also originating in the present day state of Kentucky.

As far as the geographic origin of the mtDNA that is almost surely central Finland and from what I've read that still leaves open the possibility that it was Siberian in origin which leads back to the Americas. It's also becoming clearer that there is both a European and an African contribution to the Amerindian gene pool from before the time of Christopher Columbus and Leif Ericson further complicating things. Although in my case I think the maternal ancestor did originate in Finland fleeing the Romans from central Germany and one of them mated with an Amerindian man in colonial times. A Family Finder test would have to show an Amerindian ancestry in my family tree now although the other evidence I have is tantalizingly close. The old ethnic test from FTDNA did show 2% East Asian. I'm not interested in joining a tribe or even 'reconstituting' a tribe as a few are but I am interested in the story my Grandmother told me.

So I guess my success is knowing the maternal origin is in Finland and having one exact match in the Americas.
My 2x great grandmother was a Madden and we too have been told there was american Indian blood but I have not been able to find the connection.
Old 2nd September 2014, 11:58 PM
FTDNA Customer

I have done the FMS mtDNA test and consider it to be a poor investment. I would not recommend it to anyone to help complete their paper trail.

The Y testing I've had different cousins do have been helpful and the FF is fantastic.
Old 9th February 2015, 09:58 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by efgen View Post
I'm hoping to give an mtDNA Success Stories webinar in the near future -- but I need more stories!

If you have an mtDNA success story that you're willing to share, please send me a private message here on the forum. Include a brief summary of your story, relevant kit numbers and your email address. I'll then get in contact with you soon to discuss further details.

If privacy is a concern, we can share your story without revealing personal information (such as by using alternate names). So please do still contact me!

Thanks!
Elise
Old 14th February 2015, 08:26 PM
FTDNA Customer

No surprise this section has been quiet....