Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Advanced Topics

mtDNA - Advanced Topics Users can exchange advanced information here on mtDNA testing, results, and questions. You must register and sign in to view or post in this forum.

Old 7th June 2014, 07:45 PM
FTDNA Customer

With no heteroplasmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebekah Canada View Post
Hi,

It is not that bad. More like 1,500 years +/- 1,500 years per non-heteroplasmic difference.
I am not aware of heteroplasmy, in my results. I have an exact match at the FMS level. Do you think that we have a common ancestor in recent times, with no heteroplasmy?
Old 7th June 2014, 08:16 PM
FTDNA Customer

I have the mutation 309.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebekah Canada View Post
Hi,

Yes, they might indeed. Especially if the mutation is on something fast moving like 309.1C.
I have this mutation(309.1C)as well.

Last edited by winner; 7th June 2014 at 08:20 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 21st June 2014, 05:38 AM
FTDNA Customer

Smile

I just received my fourth FMS match (U5b2b2). Unfortunately, it is a genetic distance of 2. That would seem to be a long way back to a common ancestor; maybe centuries back.

Last edited by PDHOTLEN; 21st June 2014 at 05:40 AM.
Old 21st June 2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDHOTLEN View Post
I just received my fourth FMS match (U5b2b2). Unfortunately, it is a genetic distance of 2. That would seem to be a long way back to a common ancestor; maybe centuries back.
It could be 7,400 ybp. The province of Leinster has the most U5 at 18% in the Isles.
Old 21st June 2014, 08:08 AM
FTDNA Customer

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1798 View Post
It could be 7,400 ybp. The province of Leinster has the most U5 at 18% in the Isles.
Who knows where my direct maternal ancestral line is really from? I psyched myself into believing that I have dukes and earls back there. But I could easily have gone astray in putting my deep tree together.
Old 21st June 2014, 08:21 PM
FTDNA Customer

I must be lucky...

I have 18 exact matches on my FMS. I am H1c. The problem is, my exact matches are localized primarily in Russia and Poland, Hungary, and Germany. I have zero idea about my maternal lineage beyond 1858 as the trail stops coooold.

With exact matches located primarily in Eastern Europe/Asia (Russia-depending on where in Russia), I am not placing a lot of hope into these exact matches- unless there might be something that I am missing (which I am certain that I am).

Having two adopted parents is very challenging and can be prohibitive as well...
Old 21st June 2014, 10:02 PM
FTDNA Customer

Cool

I don't particularly go along with the (my own) FTDNA "My Origins" results, especially after getting my Ancestry results back. Going more by my Ancestry results, something is just not quite right. It's really hard to shoehorn those aDNA results into my tree structure. Generally speaking, people don't like the idea of NPEs. But they are probably more prevalent than people want to admit. In the case of my direct maternal line (U5b2b2), it survives nicely, at least back into colonial times where records are few and far between. The question really is, who were the males involved along the way.

Last edited by PDHOTLEN; 21st June 2014 at 10:08 PM.
Old 22nd June 2014, 09:54 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
I don't particularly go along with the (my own) FTDNA "My Origins" results, especially after getting my Ancestry results back. Going more by my Ancestry results, something is just not quite right. It's really hard to shoehorn those aDNA results into my tree structure. Generally speaking, people don't like the idea of NPEs. But they are probably more prevalent than people want to admit. In the case of my direct maternal line (U5b2b2), it survives nicely, at least back into colonial times where records are few and far between. The question really is, who were the males involved along the way.
I think that the presence of unaccounted NPEs are what is skewing the conception of the data for many of us.

Like mutations, NPEs can occur at anytime along the lines. In my paternal line, I have solid documentation, but the DNA tells a vastly different story. So finding a match is the only way for me to find the proper paternal lineage.

With the maternal side bearing such slow mutation rates, it is quite difficult to pinpoint a direct maternal lineage from a genetic standpoint. Imagine having 18 exact matches at 111 markers and on the Big Y??
Old 23rd June 2014, 02:12 AM
FTDNA Customer

Cool

I was just repairing a damaged old maternal tree at Ancestry. Somehow an almost fatal deletion that wasn't my fault, as far as I can tell. Anyway, this older tree had my direct maternal line going back on a different line than I later adopted. And looking closely, this older line may be more correct. This line has my direct maternal line going back to the Carolingian Franks, and not Scandinavians. At this point it goes back to the wife of Charles "The Bald", Holy Roman Emperor. Hmm...
Old 23rd June 2014, 11:42 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
None of you close matches are in the U5 project. If they would all join the project, or if they submit their results anaonymously to GenBank, I can analyze the diversity in this groups and try to estimate its age and geographic origin.