Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced Users can exchange information here on Y-DNA testing, results, and questions.

Old 21st July 2013, 02:53 PM

YSearch is showing more markers than FTDNA is reporting on upgrade.

I thought I would share an interesting observation regarding number of STRs reported on FTDNA and YSearch. I recently ordered a yRefine12-67 and panels 2 & 3 came in a couple of weeks ago. This past Friday I got the results for Panel 4 (48-60) so I have a total of 50 markers reported at FTDNA but when I click the take me to YSearch link I see markers pre-populated for 58 markers.

YSearch is showing values for DYS568, DYS487, DYS572, DYS492, DYS565, GATA A10, DYS435, and DYS522.

GATA A10, DYS435, and DYS522 were not showing up on Friday but are today so I am wondering if somehow FTDNA is reading results form their database and reporting those in the link to YSearch before the full panel comes in. It will be interesting to see if the values posted now are the same when the full panel(s) for Panel 4 (38-47) and Panel 4 (61-67) come in.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 22nd July 2013, 02:45 AM
Webinar Coordinator

Hmm, there have been some issues with the Ysearch upload link, but I thought they were finally all fixed.

Do the values for the "extra" markers seem to be valid values (within the correct ranges) for those markers?

Also, did you transfer any markers from another company or have you tested any markers individually?

Elise
Old 22nd July 2013, 08:04 AM

Elise - I have done no individual tests and did not transfer anything. The values seem like real values except for a couple markers that are "0". everything else looks normal and I have no idea where the values are coming from.

-Kevin
Old 22nd July 2013, 10:27 AM
FTDNA Customer

No extra markers for me other than "0" on DYS 557,DYS 487,DYS 522,DYS 435.
Old 22nd July 2013, 10:43 AM

It seems to me that you should wait to do YSearch until all your tests are in, as there does not seem to be a way to update your YSearch results once you've submitted them. Does anyone know if you can edit them once you've created an account and submitted your first results?
Old 22nd July 2013, 10:56 AM
Webinar Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taed View Post
It seems to me that you should wait to do YSearch until all your tests are in, as there does not seem to be a way to update your YSearch results once you've submitted them. Does anyone know if you can edit them once you've created an account and submitted your first results?
When new results get posted to myFTDNA, you should get a link at the bottom of the Matches page prompting you to upload the new results.

It's possible that the upload link may only show up with a complete set markers, though. In other words, since the 37 to 67 upgrade is divided into 3 panels, you may not be prompted to upload when only one panel is complete, but you should definitely be prompted once all 3 panels are complete. Kevin was prompted because he's going from 12 to 67, and he has already received results for the 25-marker and 37-marker levels, which are one panel each.

I'd have to test this out to confirm, though maybe someone here who has upgraded from 37 to 67 recently and tried to upload to Ysearch can confirm.

Of course, you can always manually edit your Ysearch account by logging into it from the Ysearch website.

Elise