Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > The Genographic Project

The Genographic Project Do you have results from Genographic? Are you considering testing with them? This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 10th May 2013, 11:26 AM
FTDNA Customer

How do I transfer my FTDNA to GENO 2?

Ok, I see a lot of complaints about what happens after transferring their dna from FTDNA to Geno 2 but I can't find out how to do it. I want to complain too
Seriously Is this still available?

Mucho Gracias
Bubba
Old 10th May 2013, 11:51 AM

Suggestion

If you are in a project then you can download your raw results to project admin and they can help you. I actually got an email from my project director and he wants me to download my raw results to him when my results are complete.
Old 10th May 2013, 12:34 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylineage View Post
If you are in a project then you can download your raw results to project admin and they can help you. I actually got an email from my project director and he wants me to download my raw results to him when my results are complete.
I think the original poster is asking the opposite. He wants to upload his FTDNA results into the Genographic Project's database. At least, that is what it seems like he's saying, even though he wrote Geno 2.0; maybe he can clarify that.

When the Genographic Project was doing their first phase, testing only 12 yDNA markers and mtDNA HVR1, there was a provision in FTDNA accounts to upload FTDNA results into the Genographic Project database. The cost was $15, but all you were doing was making a contribution to the Genographic Project and allowing your results to be included in their database for analysis purposes. There was no tangible benefit to the person who paid the $15, such as matching to others in their database.

I'm not sure that, since the first phase of the Genographic Project is no longer active and Geno 2.0 testing is much different than the tests offered by FTDNA, there's the option to upload FTDNA results any more to the Genographic Project. If he calls FTDNA, they could tell him.

Last edited by MMaddi; 10th May 2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10th May 2013, 02:08 PM

Okay

Mike,

I was thinking maybe he meant the opposite, but your advice to him is probably correct. You have never steered me wrong.
Old 10th May 2013, 02:13 PM
FTDNA Customer

It's under Resources. I don't recommend doing it though, as it seems you would just be donating $15 to FTDNA. I purchased the transfer two months ago and haven't received a log in or Genographic Project ID or anything. The answer I got from customer service is that it was a they were working on it.
Old 10th May 2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaRichard View Post
Ok, I see a lot of complaints about what happens after transferring their dna from FTDNA to Geno 2 but I can't find out how to do it. I want to complain too
Seriously Is this still available?

Mucho Gracias
Bubba
Can't be done. Geno 2.0 does not accept data from an extant FT-DNA DNA test. The Project does new analysis on a dedicated fresh sample.
Old 11th May 2013, 08:49 PM
FTDNA Customer

I was talking about FTDNA to Geno 2 which I thought i read someone transferring their DNA this year, guess not.
Thanks
Old 12th May 2013, 10:42 AM

You may transfer FT-DNA mtDNA data to Geno 1.0. Geno 1.0 was a mtDNA-only study. Geno 2.0 examines autosomal DNA, Y-DNA, and mtDNA.
Old 12th May 2013, 11:17 AM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFWare View Post
You may transfer FT-DNA mtDNA data to Geno 1.0. Geno 1.0 was a mtDNA-only study. Geno 2.0 examines autosomal DNA, Y-DNA, and mtDNA.
Geno 1.0 tested both yDNA (12 markers) and mtDNA (HVR1 only).

However, with the new Geno 2.0 test, they phased out Geno 1.0 testing; I'm not sure if they still are doing any Geno 1.0 database analysis. So, it may not be possible to transfer your FTDNA results to Geno 1.0 anymore.
Old 12th May 2013, 12:39 PM
FTDNA Customer

I believe what folks may have been referring to was ordering the Geno 2.0 test from FTDNA, rather than having to order directly from the National Geographic Society (NGS).

Ordering through FTDNA would have some benefits for some folk, as you may be able to use stored DNA (for folks who are no longer willing or able to donate a sample) as well as possibly use the Project Group funds to pay for the testing.

Bennett Greenspan (CEO of FTDNA) had stated in November where they would be working with NGS to "eventually" be able to offer the Geno 2.0 test, but this decision rests with NGS. They are apparently still overwhelmed with processing and analyzing the test already ordered, and are not ready to potentially expand their base by allowing FTDNA to sell this test.