Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 10th November 2012, 06:30 PM
FTDNA Customer

a very stupid question but had to ask it lol

hello sorry for the question but this will help me as well better understand how the tests are done.
If a was very stupid or drunk or whatever and sent samples of my cat's DNA (told you lol), when would the test notice it and what would happen lol?
of course I sent mine obvisoulsy even though my cat is from persia eheh not very far from lebanon
sorry for the question again good night
Old 10th November 2012, 07:06 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Well, it would be noticed very quickly. Humans have 23 pairs of chromosomes and cats have 38 pairs! See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...romosome_count But, still, humans and cats share about 90% of DNA - they're just spread over more chromosomes in the cat.

If you want to have your kitty tested, for whatever reason, send the DNA to http://www.catdna.org/ That will help anyone determine the paternity of the litter of kittens that may have just popped out - only $38.
Old 10th November 2012, 07:10 PM
FTDNA Customer

lol thank you but why is it so much cheaper for cats lol, no familly finder or what? ptdr
Old 10th November 2012, 07:18 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boutrosdu93 View Post
hello sorry for the question but this will help me as well better understand how the tests are done.
If a was very stupid or drunk or whatever and sent samples of my cat's DNA (told you lol), when would the test notice it and what would happen lol?
of course I sent mine obvisoulsy even though my cat is from persia eheh not very far from lebanon
sorry for the question again good night
The sample would fail sequencing to such a degree that the lab would be unable to verify results.

At worst, you will lose the cost of the test, and your imported cat will gain no insight into his/her ancestry.

Yes, cats have DNA and, like human DNA, the bases are CATG, but the sequences that lead to the specific C or A or T or G targeted by the test are different in humans and cats. The chips for human DNA are programmed for human DNA.

You have the internet, Google "gene chip" ...
Old 10th November 2012, 08:38 PM
FTDNA Customer

Tomcat- that was bad. lol
Old 10th November 2012, 10:02 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thank you brunetmj for your lol. You may be the only poster to have enjoyed my DELETED addendum.

Let's try again ...

At best, you would get another kit with an injunction not to share bodily fluids with your cat prior to swabbing.

Last edited by tomcat; 10th November 2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10th November 2012, 10:13 PM
FTDNA Customer

Tomcat - I hope the administrators look at the OP's second post under Family Finder. He may be a troll.
All you did was be funny.
Old 11th November 2012, 05:32 AM
FTDNA Customer

Do you think I'm a troll ? I don't understand why
Old 11th November 2012, 08:54 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Above is why and then another post in Family Finder which appears argumentative. However after looking through your past posts I see that I am wrong. So I apologize for the Troll comment.
Old 11th November 2012, 09:42 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMaddi View Post
Well, it would be noticed very quickly. Humans have 23 pairs of chromosomes and cats have 38 pairs!
Actually, the DNA is chopped up into little pieces during preparation, so the number of chromosomes can't be counted. The amplification process uses "primers" to target very specific DNA sequences that are found only on one human chromosome, which also eliminates the bacteria in the sample.

I did know someone who submitted a sample from his dog. The lab tried several times to amplify it before they gave up.