Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Closed Thread

Old 4th May 2012, 05:57 PM
FTDNA Customer

AncestryDNA

Yesterday I received an email introducing the new autosomal dna test offered by Ancestry.com. So far it is unclear to me whether this new service from Ancestry.com does anything over and above what FTDNA's FamilyFinder does. Does anyone else have more information on this?
Old 4th May 2012, 06:24 PM
FTDNA Customer

At $99 it's a lot cheaper than FF. Guess that is the buying power of having a large customer base.

Don't you just love advertisers watch the video, I like the way they slip in "with billions of records".

How it works:
"comprehensively looks at the entire genome at over 700,000 locations"

Entire genome? impressive!

The written word is truly wonderful.

Last edited by Jomid59; 4th May 2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 4th May 2012, 07:39 PM

I just hope FTDNA doesn't get pushed out of the business of DNA testing. I realize they are all businesses, but I just wish Ancestry would stick to records & let FTDNA do what they do best. Although, I am a very "share and share alike" person.
Old 4th May 2012, 09:43 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

According to CeCe Moore, a genetic genealogy blogger, Ancestry.com's autosomal DNA test will not provide customers with the chromosome number and location of matching segments. See http://www.yourgeneticgenealogist.co...-notes-on.html An update of her description of the test is at http://www.yourgeneticgenealogist.co...estrycoms.html

This is a deal-breaker for any serious genetic genealogist. When you know the start and end points and the chromosome number you can triangulate with other matches. That makes it easier to possibly find common ancestors or at least in which line the common ancestor may be found.
Old 4th May 2012, 10:49 PM
FTDNA Customer

I'm sure that some genealogists will be lured by the cheap price into the Ancestry system & that will be disappointing, both for them because so much will no doubt be missing, & for us, because we will lose the opportunity to match them.

I hope that Family Tree DNA offers an upgrade path to Ancestry customers.

Timothy Peterman
Old 4th May 2012, 11:53 PM
R-A287, J2a1a1b

Quote:
Originally Posted by T E Peterman View Post
I hope that Family Tree DNA offers an upgrade path to Ancestry customers.
In addition to not providing segment detail, there is no raw data download.

They say they are considering these options, but I have my doubts. It spoils the simplicity.
Old 4th May 2012, 11:59 PM
R-A287, J2a1a1b

Quote:
Originally Posted by T E Peterman View Post
lured by the cheap price
I forgot to add that the $99 price appears temporary. They are building up the database.
Old 5th May 2012, 12:24 PM
FTDNA Customer

I think it looks interesting, especially to get it for the $99 price. I think they will work out the kinks ie raw data download and have them in the future. I hate to say it I was not impressed with FTDNA's DNA Day "sale" prices.

I have had great luck with Ancestry.com in meeting 3 people who we all collaborated on our genealogies, and we were able to either fill in missing pieces, go further back in a line or even find a new ethnicity.
I saw on another link that Ancestry would offer "leaves" to try to connect common ancestors for two people to link their lines together. So I think this looks very promising whether your a newbie or a "vet" to genetic genealogy!

I also think that if FTDNA offered an upgrade at a reasonable price in the future people would be willing to transfer results from Ancestry to here.
Old 5th May 2012, 01:44 PM
FTDNA Customer

Look at the price of Ancestry.
Then you can wonder how much is accurate.
Old 5th May 2012, 02:29 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darroll View Post
Look at the price of Ancestry.
Then you can wonder how much is accurate.
I don't want to get into a petty fight as I've seen occur on this forum. However I have heard people complain that population finder is not so good here. So I say why not give it a chance. And if FTDNA would allow for a transfer in the future at a reasonable price, that would be a good thing. You can't expect one company to have a MONOPOLY on a product.

Furthermore, expensive does not always mean better. An $83,000 car breaks down just as easily as a $15,000 car. Why, because they are both mechanical and mechanical things break down!

These DNA companies I would imagine have access to similar technologies. So therefore they could probably all eventually be on the same page in regard to results, in the future.

And obviously, it appears that people do look for more answers because they seem to test at more than one company. So it probably all lies within the testers expectations and budget.
Closed Thread