Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 1st April 2012, 08:50 PM
Anett

Stupid newbee question

Hi there!
I've had trouble uploading my autosomal raw data to GEDmatch, but finally I think I've managed it.

Two questions:
1; Can they tell the difference between my X-chromosome file and the autosomal file with the same kit number? I know the files must be very different in size and appearance, but I ask becauce of the results. I thought maybe they had analyzed the X-chr. file as if it were the autosomal file.

Because, 2; My result at GEDmatch is vastly different from the FamilyTreeDNA results. Is that normal?

Results from FamilyTree: 96,5% Orcadian, the rest South Asian (India).

Results from GEDMatch: 51% West European, 20% Meditarenean, 14% East Europe, 7% West Asian, 1,7% soutwest Asian, south Asian 2,2%, North east Asian and North West African both 1%.

These are completely different or what? Since they give the result for 22 chromosomes, I assume they have the right file??

I know FamilyTree doesn't focus on ethnicity, but I'm confused now. Please enlighten me.

PS! Sorry for the spelling, I should be sleeping hours ago, but this is keeping me up.
Old 1st April 2012, 09:46 PM
FTDNA Customer

When you upload your Family Finder raw files to gedmatch there shouldn't be a problem with the program mixing up your raw files. The autosomal raw files are uploaded separately from the X raw data files.
Old 2nd April 2012, 03:39 AM
Anett

Yes, but you can upload the wrong file yourself, I did that ONE of the times i tried. The reason for my confusion (other than the result) was the message I got after uploading the file: Don't leave this page, but wait for the process (or something like that), and the process should be visible on the page as it progressed. I left the page open for hours, but nothing more happened! But I guess they still have the file? I did get the result for each chromosome, so for that they have to have the right file I guess. The results would make more sense if they came from my X-file. Can 20% Mediterranean stem from one or two of my 2Xgreat grandparents? Or would that be to far out? I have a lot of my ancestors placed back to the 1600s, but not all. The only foreign names I have found are German and from the 15000s (North Germany).

If this surely is not a technical thing I'll continue trying to make sense of this by following other threads.
Old 2nd April 2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anett View Post
Because, 2; My result at GEDmatch is vastly different from the FamilyTreeDNA results. Is that normal?

Results from FamilyTree: 96,5% Orcadian, the rest South Asian (India).

Results from GEDMatch: 51% West European, 20% Meditarenean, 14% East Europe, 7% West Asian, 1,7% soutwest Asian, south Asian 2,2%, North east Asian and North West African both 1%.

These are completely different or what? Since they give the result for 22 chromosomes, I assume they have the right file??

I know FamilyTree doesn't focus on ethnicity, but I'm confused now. Please enlighten me.
Your PF results are almost identical with mine. GEDmatch will be different because it's using different methodology and reference samples, either the Eurogenes or Dodecad datasets.
Old 2nd April 2012, 05:04 PM
Anett

Yes, I know about the different technology. But it's supposed to be more accurate from what I've read. I just have trouble finding any "foreign blood". I know one branch of the family have very dark eyes and black hair, but the names are Norwegian, and they are born where they live. I'm clueless now. I don't even know what to look for. I was thinking gypsies maybe? Indian seems to fit with that. All my people so far seem to be born and raised locally.
Old 3rd April 2012, 12:23 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anett View Post
Yes, I know about the different technology. But it's supposed to be more accurate from what I've read. I just have trouble finding any "foreign blood". I know one branch of the family have very dark eyes and black hair, but the names are Norwegian, and they are born where they live. I'm clueless now. I don't even know what to look for. I was thinking gypsies maybe? Indian seems to fit with that. All my people so far seem to be born and raised locally.
Anett, this doesn't answer your original question directly, but it might help you to understand your results: Remember that the modern Kingdom of Norway is really the union of two peoples overall: the Germanic Norwegians + the Saami (Laplanders). (The current king of Norway once referred to this fact.) Then there is the variable of the Finnish immigrants ("Forest Finns") who settled underpopulated areas of the country. Norway was also part of a Baltic-based trade network. Settlers associated with that network from other countries in the Baltic area made their homes in Norway. After a while, these different populations intermarried and people adopted Norwegian-sounding surnames. Jewish people also settled in more urban areas, like Christiana (Oslo).

My father is part-Norwegian. My mother is part-Swedish/Finnish. Every once and a while, a few of my Finnish FF cousins through my mother -- citizens of modernday Finland -- have chromosome segment matches with Norwegian cousins through my father's family. I'm assuming this is because of Finnish settlers moving into underpopulated areas of Norway years ago, perhaps after a plague ravaged a region.
Old 3rd April 2012, 05:10 AM
Anett

I am aware of that. However there were few Jews in Norway, due to laws aginst them living in the country, and Forest Finns did not live in any area near my relatives as far as I know. I would have suspeced Sami ancestry. I know one of my female ancestors had a typical Sami mtDNA (I know her direct female decendant). I also have ancestry from Nordland. Does South Asian DNA have anything to do with any of those groups??

I thought maybe gypsy would be my closest bet for the Asian DNA? I have Finnish matches on Familyfinder, and I think I know about where they belong on my tree. It's all the Asian I'm most curious about. Almost 8% must mean something?? I actually saw a Rom/gypsy with similar results to mine on another forum...
Old 3rd April 2012, 07:18 AM
Anett

Almost 8% is of course wrong. It's more than 10 according to GEDmatch. The Eastern European I can understand, and I have matches for this. The Asian I don't, but I do seem to have some Jewish matches (I only guess based on typical Jewish names - no information), but Jewish/Middle Eastern is quite similar I guess??

I just mean that if it IS anything it should be visible somewhere? I thought of Gypsies/rom because there has been some joking about that in the family. My ancestors have NOT lived in towns as far as I know. The lines I have finished goes back to the 1600s and further. I'm hoping to find something solid in one of the unexplored branches.

I don't understand that it is natural that a person firmly placed deep in the fjords of "Vestlandet" should have the same result on population finder as a person with German/Polish ancestry, unless I have a recent infusion from those areas?

Last edited by Anett; 3rd April 2012 at 07:32 AM.