Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 11th March 2011, 02:55 AM

YDNA-12 vs YDNA-25

Hi.

I initially did the FF+YDNA-12 combo. I have more than 1300 matches on YDNA-12, so I ordered the YDNA upgrade and received my YDNA-25 results yesterday. Results:

YDNA-12:1317 matches
YDNA-25: 0 matches

What information can I draw from this? Or is it now time to wait until a distant relative take the test?
Old 11th March 2011, 03:04 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.o.gran View Post
Hi.

I initially did the FF+YDNA-12 combo. I have more than 1300 matches on YDNA-12, so I ordered the YDNA upgrade and received my YDNA-25 results yesterday. Results:

YDNA-12:1317 matches
YDNA-25: 0 matches

What information can I draw from this? Or is it now time to wait until a distant relative take the test?
Ugh. That's harsh.

I have no idea what you could draw from it? 1300 100th cousins?
Old 11th March 2011, 06:11 AM
FTDNA Customer

It's quite possible (and likely) that you have a very recent mutation in the last 13. I would start looking at the 24/25 matches.
Old 11th March 2011, 07:07 AM
FTDNA Customer

You may have 25 marker matches that aren't showing up because they have turned off their 25 marker match display. Many people with very common results do this to keep from seeing all of the false matches. This can be misleading to others. For this reason I'd try 37 markers.

If you haven't done so you might also check for matches at Y-Search.

As mentioned above, do you have any close matches at 25 markers, or as you said, "No 25 marker matches."
Old 11th March 2011, 07:58 AM
mtDNA: H1ak

Compare yDNA on various project groups

You can look at the yDNA results posted on various project groups to see if you (closely) match anyone for 25 markers.

In many cases you don't have to join the projects to see the results. You can start with a haplogroup project, or look at various ethnic group or geographic projects.

I'd have to say, though, that for 12 markers, my cousin was matching guys from Finland and we have no known Finnish roots. At 25 markers, we started matching Lithuanian-Americans, and after six months or so, just one 37-marker (German) match. No 67-marker match yet.
Old 11th March 2011, 10:21 AM
FTDNA Customer

I would definately join a regional project and a haplogroup project.
As Jim said, many men turn of the 12 and 25 marker results, so taking their results out of the public database, or they may have their preference set to projects only. In a project you are compared agianst the other project members. so you may pick up a few matches.

Also testing to 37 to see if you have matches at that level, which will be more indicative of a common ancestor in a genealogical timeframe.
What haplogroup are you, have you got a ysearch entry, we can look at your results and see if anything unusual stands out.
Old 12th March 2011, 06:29 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I've ordered an upgrade from 12 markers to 67 markers, the 13-25 is the first to be completed. I will probably join some groups when the 67 marker result is ready.

Regarding turning off matches in preferences, I thought that was only a local setting? That others will still see me as a 12 marker match, but I won't see any in my FTDNA page?
Old 12th March 2011, 08:12 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.o.gran View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions. Regarding turning off matches in preferences, I thought that was only a local setting? That others will still see me as a 12 marker match, but I won't see any in my FTDNA page?
If you turn off seeing 25 marker matches you won't see them and no one you match on 25 markers will see you and FTDNA will not send out e-mails about those matches.

As a person who has over 1,000 12 marker matches I'll bet you really don't want to receive e-mails about the new 12 marker matches as they come in because 90% or more of those matches won't hold up at 25 or more markers.
Old 14th March 2011, 04:06 AM

^ True, but I don't turn any of them off. I like to see them, and it's possible to recognize a name from time to time.